Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

There are some screen shots from the new edition and full details to be found of the set here: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2011/...d-details.html

Well, I know Si Hunt and Simon Rayner were amongst those who saw the Special Edition on the big screen at the weekend...

So, how was it, guys!?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It's very good. Watching it we were reminded what a strong story it is, how brilliant the performances are, and in particular how wonderful Jon Pertwee is. Several moments got strong laughs in the auditorium, such as when the Doctor karate chops an Ogron without putting down his glass of wine, Pertwee sitting swigging his wine while Jo frets about ghosts and, well, anything involving Pertwee and wine basically.

But I suspect you want to know about the special edition of the story... the new sequences are marvellous, and although you are taken out the narrative a bit the first time four Ogrons materilise on the lawn outside Auderly, the battle in Part 4 is a tour de force, and new footage of a stream of Daleks queuing to get into the house take the breath away.

The new Dalek voices work very well, mainly after Part 1 when Briggs has to slow his dialogue down to fit the gaps left by the old voices to such an extent that you wonder why they bothered.

Most controversial are the various cuts and changes made to the Special Edition version - somehow, Pertwee now kills an extra Ogron inside the house, and annoyingly many peoples favourite moment - the "No complications" Ogron - has been scissored out entirely, Steve Broster revealing on the panel that this is because he thought it was "crap". Missing the point, much?

On the whole though, especially given the track record of these things, something of a triumph.

Si.

So there are complications then?
    Glad you had a great time. I'm looking forward to it. But is the scene cut or just the line? And was there a groan from the audience when it was revealed it had been cut?
    Oh well, the original is included in the package and it's not going to rain on my parade.
    Oh and Si? Don't forget to tell it to the Marines.

It's just the line, so you sort of don't notice til the story ended and you realise it didn't pop up. I don't think Doctor Who fans are animated enough to groan, they were too busy taking pictures of Broster and the spindly chap next to him who did the CGI like they were at a Kings of Leon concert.

Si.

mines veen dispatched.

I'm going to try and hold out till Christmas if I can although am looking foward to seeing this as it was one of the first videos my Dad ever bought so I have fond memories of watching it 20 years ago in the salad days of my youth.

So did Steve Broster enjoy "Day of the Daleks" more when he was 6? After fourteen featurettes mentioning it, I'm still not sure.

Si.

mine arrived the other day but I' haven't yet watched it as I want to finish off the last few episodes of Blake's 7 series 1.

I've ordered an autographed copy from DWAS as I would have liked to ahve attended the Riverside do a few weeks ago in which some of the original and survivng cast attended. I've just opened an email saying that their stock has been delayed due to the Sony warehouse fire in which all of the first run of the DVD was destroyed. Their stock should be arriving today (Thursday) and hopefully they will ship out as soon as they get them.

absolutely fantastic job by the RT, on the special edition the new cgi, effects and Dalek voices were brilliantly done and improved what was already a very good story my only very minor quibble is that it was very noticable is at the start of each episode when they repeat the previous episodes cliff hanger you can still hear the scream that cuts in at the end of each episode. (hope that makes sense) . . It was a bit odd watching this as it's the first time I've seen Day of the Daleks, in it's eposonic form so the end of each episode when it came was quite unexpected. But over all another brilliant release from the R.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    my only very minor quibble is that it was very noticable is at the start of each episode when they repeat the previous episodes cliff hanger you can still hear the scream that cuts in at the end of each episode. (hope that makes sense)
    If you're talking about the episodic version, Larry... IIRC, it was the same on the unedited VHS version (and, I assume on broadcast), so it's no mistake on the part of the RT

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    If you're talking about the episodic version, Larry... IIRC, it was the same on the unedited VHS version (and, I assume on broadcast), so it's no mistake on the part of the RT
    well I'm sure the people on the RT, have also noticed it..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well I'm sure the people on the RT, have also noticed it..
    Perhaps, but while they seem determined to "fix" some "mistakes" that were there on original transmission, there's been so much controversy over it, that I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to bother this time round.

----

That was so marvellous I feel like lying in bed in a warm afterglow.

This has got to be the best example of how to do a Special Edition since Fenric. If you're going to change it, re-edit the whole damn thing. Enlightenment was OK- I haven't managed to get past Planet of Fire's awful pretitle sequence which makes The Tomorrow People look like Star Wars...

And, as a certain Mr Lucas should have learned by now, Doctor Who includes both versions.

Except if a spanner is involved.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

The repeat of the 'sting' after the cliffhanger reprise at the starts of episodes 2 and 3 is not a 'mistake' in the sense of someone doing it accidentally. It's a misunderstanding on the part of the director, who thought that's how it was supposed to be done. So it was done quite deliberately.

... and therefore should absolutely remain in! It's the text book example of something they should NOT touch, as it was a deliberate (for all we know artistic) decision. At the premiere of the DVD, Steve "It wasn't the same show I watched when I was six" Broster pointed out that the era was fairly rife with experimental title sequences (e.g "Ambassadors" zooming in) and he felt this should be counted as one of those experiments.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    That was so marvellous I feel like lying in bed in a warm afterglow.
    There's definately no answer to that!

The UNIT Family: Part Two has a lovely surprise:
    Clips from The Mind of Evil in colour! Lots of them from different parts of the story! Sod Day of the Daleks, this is much more exciting. The colour's really variable - you can see why the RT emphasises that it's 'raw' colour - but it's very watchable. It's looking good for huge swathes of colour on Mind of Evil and Ambassadors of Death!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    There's definately no answer to that!
    Again you've said what I thought when I read Brendan's post last night. We're definitely in synch today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssarl View Post
    The UNIT Family: Part Two has a lovely surprise:
    Clips from The Mind of Evil in colour! Lots of them from different parts of the story! Sod Day of the Daleks, this is much more exciting. The colour's really variable - you can see why the RT emphasises that it's 'raw' colour - but it's very watchable. It's looking good for huge swathes of colour on Mind of Evil and Ambassadors of Death!
    Yay! The question now is will I be able to hold out until Christmas?

Was it us or were there colour clips from Episode 1? I thought that couldn't be recoloured as it had no chroma dots.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Again you've said what I thought when I read Brendan's post last night. We're definitely in synch today.
    You get dragged into the sewer sooner or later round here; it's better - and more fun - if you get down to it ASAP.

I'll rephrase that...

Its not a sewer, its a subterranean tubular apartment with running lumpy water. Which some of us call home.

Austrailia gets an alternate cover 9and dare I say better one?)