Threaded View

Listening to the Jeremy Vine show I find it frustrating for some public sector workers to claim they pay more in to their pensions than private sector workers so therefore should have more benefits - how do they work that one out! Then another public sector worker says they made the right choice to be a public sector rather than private sector worker (so those of us in the private sector made a bad career choice). How would the economy work if we were all in the public sector? The answer is it wouldn't.

I have to say I sympathise with all low paid workers be they in public or private sector but there is a serious misunderstanding by the public sector of how pensions work.

There's lots of well paid public sector executives milking the system very nicely. Just as the top of the private sector is doing the same.

It's always the poorly paid public sector workers the Union leaders parade in front of us to make private sector workers feel this is a fair strike. The Union leaders are looking after their own generous pensions as well.

The only private sector workers I expect that will support this action are those with a vested interest through wifes/partners in the public sector.

I reckon this is the biggest divisive issue of opinion in the country since the strikes at the end of the 70s.

If the public sector gets everything they want it will cause massive resentment as private sector workers take the pain of "real life" pensions battered by the the massive downturn in world economic fortunes and are asked to chip in to protect the "rights" of the public sector.

It's simple economics - the money isn't there - we all have to put more aside for the future and work longer and retire later. Welcome to reality horrible as it may be to take. As said the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off New thinking required for the new world.

Glad I got that off my chest! - anyway better get back to work - somebody's got to!
    Last edited by Ralph; 30th Nov 2011 at 1:22 PM.