Default Clinton for President

On the News today "Democratic Senator Hillary Clinton has taken the first step towards running for the US presidency in 2008. Former First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton is one of the Democratic Party's key assets".

Good luck to her

I don't think she could do any worse than the current President...

I think having more women in these positions is a good thing as I reckon they're more likely to take actions that are less aggressive and more thought through? I think the male persona on the world stage exampled by Blair and Bush have demonstrated a tendency towards more confrontational ego based actions?

So what's the chances I wonder of Persident Clinton mark II?
    Last edited by Ralph; 20th Jan 2007 at 5:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    So what's the chances I wonder of Persident Clinton mark II?
    Just what we need, a President who will provoke terrorists but not actually take any significant action against them! See Bill Clinton!

If she is the best the Democrate can up with, it really is worrying-especially since their last 2 presidential candidates were the worlds worst liars! (Al 'I invented the internet' Gore and John 'I have always been against the war in Iraq, even when i was the first person to call for it and i voted for it' Kerry)

I Think Gulliani is looking like a good bet, McCain seems like yesterdays man.

Its just a shame Condi didn't want to run, she would have been good and given the USA its first Black and First Female president!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raston View Post
    Its just a shame Condi didn't want to run, she would have been good and given the USA its first Black and First Female president!
    Trouble is, that wouldn't necessarily play well in every state (and not particularly well in certain areas of the Republican party either). The Democratic candidates so far seem to be Hillary, Obama and Edwards (who was Kerry's running mate last time) and I'd expect the ticket to be two of those.
    Last edited by Captain Tancredi; 20th Jan 2007 at 5:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Trouble is, that wouldn't necessarily play well in every state (and not particularly well in certain areas of the Republican party either). The Democratic candidates so far seem to be Hillary, Obama and Edwards (who was Kerry's running mate last time) and I'd expect the ticket to be two of those.
    True, the republicans do depend upon quite a lot of hispanic votes. Its the inter-race problems between hispanic/black/asian american that leave a white candidate as the only choice for either party as they don't want to lose votes from other ethnic groups.

well sooner or later theres going to be a woman president and Hilary certainly looks to have the righ credentials for it..

Personally I'm hoping Obama wins the Democratic primary and then becomes the next President.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I think having more women in these positions is a good thing as I reckon they're more likely to take actions that are less aggressive and more thought through? I think the male persona on the world stage exampled by Blair and Bush have demonstrated a tendency towards more confrontational ego based actions?

Ralph, have you ever heard of someone called Margaret Thatcher?

Make way for a naval officer!

[QUOTE=Nathan;16424]Ralph, have you ever heard of someone called Margaret Thatcher?

[/QUOTE

Or Angela Merkel.

John McCain for President!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Yippee kay yay motherf.. - oh, that's John McClane, isn't it?

Dave Lewis Guest

Guiliani's a strange kettle of fish - although his views on gay rights and abortion are commendable for a member of the GOP, doubts have been expressed on his relationships with different ethnic groups, and his record on free speech is atrocious.

As for Hilary Clinton, although polls have suggested recently that she's the favoured candidate for the Democrats, I think that it's more likely to be Barack Obama that wins the race to be their candidate next year, and it's more than likely he'll beat Guiliani at the polls unless the former mayor manages to distance himself from the current administration.

Guiliani has to get past McCain for the Republican nomination first. McCain is currently leading the polls. Guiliani was highly criticized as a mayor before 9/11, and it is thought some Republicans might see him as too liberal.

Its just a shame Condi didn't want to run
    Just like Condi, designed to put a real monster just beyond an imaginary one.

Si.

Hilary Clinton is the worst possible Dem. choice, not because she is unqualified but because with her comes First Gentleman Bill. The assumption would be (true or not) that he was the real power in the White House. The country as a whole may be turning away from Bush, but not back to Clinton. Hilary can't win.

Speaking as a New Yorker, anyone who sugusts Guiliani should be shot. It is not unlikely that he would get more votes outside NY then in. Besides the corruption and Mafia connections would come out in a Presidential run. The man is too dirty to survive a dirty campaign.

Obama is an unknown and that is his greatest strength at the moment. One big speach does not a president make. He needs expreience and we need to know where he personally stands on a lot of issues. He also has an unfortnate problems, his name is Barack Obama and there are places in the country where that name will be his biggest liability.

McCain is very slippery. He works hard to come off as more liberal than he is and that worries me. It also worries his own party. On the Republican side though he is the best bet at the moment.

Just what we need, a President who will provoke terrorists but not actually take any significant action against them!
    The climate has changed now. Invasion of Afghanistan would have been necessary for any president and that was the primary action needed. Invading Iraq was a signifigant action but a distabilizing one.

So...er...Bill Richardson for President!
    Every wolfs howl raises from hell a human soul
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by forge View Post

The climate has changed now. Invasion of Afghanistan would have been necessary for any president and that was the primary action needed. Invading Iraq was a signifigant action but a distabilizing one.

So...er...Bill Richardson for President!
    I was thinking more of Clintons response to the 1998 embassy bombings- 60 cruise missiles into Sudan and Afganistan-not enough to do any damage to Osama Bin Laden; but certainly enough to stir up a hornets nest. Clinton had enough guts to have gone into afganistan in 1998 with a force more like that used in November 2001 and actually dealt with Osama then perhaps a lot of what has happened since then could have been avoided.

To bring out the tired old cliche "hindsight is 20/20" well hindsight is 20/20. I agree that Clinton could have made a stronger response but I dislike entering into the realm of what-ifs. An invasion could have just as easily stired up the hornets nest. There are no right answers just bad and worse. Who knows which is which.
    Every wolfs howl raises from hell a human soul
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by forge View Post
    To bring out the tired old cliche "hindsight is 20/20" well hindsight is 20/20. I agree that Clinton could have made a stronger response but I dislike entering into the realm of what-ifs. An invasion could have just as easily stired up the hornets nest. There are no right answers just bad and worse. Who knows which is which.
    Yes hindsight is a useful thing!

But then again i'm the sort of person who has read 'Celsius 7/7' and knows that there is another side to neo-conservatism than just GWB!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celsius-7-Mi.../dp/0297851462
    Last edited by Raston; 5th Feb 2007 at 6:49 PM.