Default What's Your Favourite Song/ Album of the 90s?

Baggy! Grunge! Britpop! Pop!

It was all going on the 90s. But was your favourite single and your favourite album of the 1990s?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Default Yes this post is long... I'm thinking out loud!

I enjoyed myself more in the 90's than any other time.
    Whole days without New Deal to jam with other people.
    I was still getting into Pink Floyd but at least made the effort to hear the latest sounds.
    Er... like Definition of Sound's "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" bought that one.
    I remember hearing Nirvana but it wasn't until "Lithium" that I bothered seeking out and hearing the album. I thought it was ok... Everyone seemed to be going on about them and I remember going round to a friends house on the day Kurt killed himself to see how they reacted. They hardly did...
    I did get Suede though. But I was furious Bernard left the band I didn't bother with "Dog Man Star" for some time.
    I also got Curve's "Fait Accompli" but still haven't heard their debut album. (Bit late now...) Jellyfish were another band I never made the effort for.
    "The King Is Half Undressed" is a strong contender for favourite song of the 90's.
    And it took an ex to get me into the Manics... eventually... despite liking "Motorcycle Emptiness". A good summer of closed curtains listening to The Holy Bible.
    This was after Richey left.
    Super Furry Animals came along as well.
    My sister bought "Parklife" and Oasis's debut, so I listened to both of them before the Oasis vs Blur nonsense popped up.
    It's funny, but I was seriously taken in by Tony Blair...
    It was the late 90's when I really came into my own!

And it's Ultrasound who take the favourite song. (Although guess what I didn't do with their only album...)
    It's the b-side to their "Best Wishes" single and as great and something else that is, it doesn't come close to "Kurt Russell". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfo70Tao0sw And many many thanks to Dave Tudor who I started writing in that decade and taped this song for me.
    (Although the pic on the You Tube video contains photographs of the lead singers moobs...)

Favourite album of the 90's? Bit harder.
    Suede? Everything Must Go? Moon Safari? Dark Side Of The Moon? Oh.. MADE in the 90's? Ok, scrap that last one. Maxinquaye by Tricky? "Hell Is Round The Corner" another favourite song contender. Too late though.
    Innuendo? Portishead's second album? (I prefer it to the first!)

Tough call... I'm torn between Suede and Everything Must Go.
    I may as well go with the Manics then, Everything Must Go. Even if the best songs weren't used as singles...

This is going to be easy or indeed difficult as my favourite song ever comes from my favourite album ever and both were released in 1993- Distant Sun from the album Together Alone by Crowded House.

But I almost feel cheated by having them both, so I'll nominate Distant Sun as my favourite song, let it be known that Together Alone is my favourite album ever and nominate a different abum from the 90s...

So with that in mind my other favourite album from the 90s is Parklife by Blur. It took me in a whole new direction with the music I loved and represents the moment I first bought an album none of the rest of my family liked. A triumph for me there! I think it still stands up well now and my goodness Damon was lovely back then... ahem yes.

But hang on that isn't even my favourite Blur album.

Oh well, it'll have to stand or else this'll turn into a top 10 albums of the 90s.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Ah, the nineties, which for me was the best decade for music - the sheer variety that was produced was astonishing, from popular chart stuff, to really obscure indie and everything inbetween.

It's impossible for me to choose a favourite song or album, there's just so many I passionately adore and I'm still discovering stuff from that decade too - only recently did I find out (despite seeing them live at Reading one year) that the Boo Radleys produced some superb albums.

If a gun was held against my head though and I had to make an instant decision, then...gah...I don't know, I feel like it should be a Pulp song for best song as I loved them so much, so I'll go for This is Hardcore which to this day sounds beautifully epic, and best album? Well, again, it'll probably have changed 5 seconds after I hit reply, but I'll go for My Life Story's The Golden Mile. There are better albums out there both lyrically and muscially but somehow they were better than the sum of their parts, an amazing live act, and it's still a cd I find myself regularly putting on the stereo.

Tomorrow, however, it may be Pulp's Different Class, The Divine Comedy's A Short Album About Love, Suede's Dog Man Star, Radiohead's OK Computer, The Delgado's The Great Eastern, The Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin, They Might Be Giants' Flood, and, well, I really could go on and on and on...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Been thinking about this a lot, but still can't for the life of me work out what my favourite song was/is.

Albums wise it's a bit easier, there's about a dozen choices that all could take the top spot on another day, but after close thought will opt for Lauryn Hill - Miseducation Of. I was never much of a Fugees fan, and after reading things about her, Lauryn Hill as a person. I almost wanted to dislike the album on purpose, but couldn't as it slowly got in to my head. It's a beautiful album, from a wonderful voice. It's almost a crime that she never properly followed it up, but she seems happy as a baby-making machine....

Runners-up: Monkey Mafia 'Shoot The Boss', Williams Fairey Brass Band 'Acid Brass', R.E.M. 'Out Of Time', Primal Scream 'Give Out', Neneh Cherry 'Homebrew', That Petrol Emotion 'Chemicrazy', The La's 'The La's', Julian Cope 'Peggy Suicide', Marxman '33 1/3 RPM', Prodigy 'Music For A Jilted Generation', Tricky 'Maxinquaye', Sam Brown 'April Moon' & Beck 'Mutations'
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

If we're allowed compilations then Kirsty MacColl's "Galore" - certainly "Caroline" would be my favourite song. I also enjoyed "Millionaires" by James and "From The Choirgirl Hotel" by Tori Amos.

Si.