View Poll Results: How would you rate Death of the Doctor?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Excellent

3 21.43%
  • 9: Great

4 28.57%
  • 8: Fab

3 21.43%
  • 7: Groovy

2 14.29%
  • 6: Pretty Good

0 0%
  • 5: Average

2 14.29%
  • 4: Not so great

0 0%
  • 3: Didn't think much of that

0 0%
  • 2: Pretty rubbish really

0 0%
  • 1: Dross

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Who killed Who Killed Kennedy?

Russell T did.

But otherwise, fangasm-tastic stuff.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    Who killed Who Killed Kennedy?

Russell T did.
    Funny... I saw no mention of Dodo. Dorothy, yes... which was Ace's name. Dodo was Dorothea

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

And Eternity Weeps has been nicely nudged into canonicity.
    A novel in which Liz Shaw dies in 2003, although it's already been established that this series is taking place in 2010? Doubt it...

Although I wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for the reference.

So Harry, did you like the scene at the end where it was revealed what everyone had been up to since they left the Doctor? I think they covered everyone who was likely to be back in 21st Century Earth.

Although there was one recent absentee:
    "There's this girl who's working for ITV... she shares Jo's surname... don't know what she's doing."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    So Harry, did you like the scene at the end where it was revealed what everyone had been up to since they left the Doctor? I think they covered everyone who was likely to be back in 21st Century Earth.

Although there was one recent absentee:
    "There's this girl who's working for ITV... she shares Jo's surname... don't know what she's doing."
    *3 Stooges laugh

That didn't have the funeral sadness of the first episode, but instead it had some choice clips and brilliant performances.
    Easily the best story of this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    Funny... I saw no mention of Dodo. Dorothy, yes... which was Ace's name. Dodo was Dorothea
    An innocent mishearing! Besides, Ace should be all over the universe in a time-travelling motorbike, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    A novel in which Liz Shaw dies in 2003, although it's already been established that this series is taking place in 2010? Doubt it... Although I wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for the reference.
    Perhaps Colonel what's-her-name was being euphemistically morbid. Which kind of fits in with her character pretty well. Or she was just lying through her teeth. Which kind of works too.

Also the Time War. So there.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Well I enjoyed it again - although was it just me or was it hard to hear Matt's dialogue over the SODDING MUSIC. It's S1DW all over again! Yes the line about Jo being baked was the best, and yes I liked the "where are they now?" companions bit. Ian and Barbara immortal? Oh noes, she'll still be wearing those bloody jumpers! All in all good, a little Doctor sized snack.

Couldn't help wondering if Sarah flipped a bit meeting Rose - what she'd make of the "new model" in Amy. Oh my Doctor, way to have a mid-regeneration crisis.

Looking forward to enhanced Clyde action next week - he's the star of the show IMHO!
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Yes, I was straining to hear some of the lines too. It was mooted that they were going to resolve the number of regenerations problem in this story and it just seemed a throw away line when Clyde asked the Doctor how many times he could change but I didn't quite hear what was said. Was it 507?

Anyway, very nostalgic and I liked the bit at the end when previous companions got mentioned. Especially Ian and Barbara Chesterton who haven't aged since the 60's apparently.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

And "there's a woman in Australia called Tegan...". So further proof that Sarah Jane has no memory of "The Five Doctors"!

Intriguing...

Si.

Yes, I heard it as 507 - an odd number (literally) but at an average of roughly 4 years per Doctor it gives us around another 2000 years of Doctor Who - should keep us going!

This was a lovely story for us long-term fans - the story itself is far from the best in the SJA canon but this was as much of a nostalgia trip as School Reunion was. The quantity of clips from the original series - notably in Part 2 - was quite simply astounding!

Then all the mentions of the old companions was quite something - including the mention of Liz on the Moonbase (the same one that in 60 years will be invaded by the Cybermen?!)

RTD wrote beautifully for Jo and the warmth between her and Sarah was very well portrayed. Wonderfully we could both laugh at Jo and her delightful scattiness was intact but we could have our hearts tugged at with the way she reproached the Doctor about not coming back to see her (in stark contrast to his many visits to Sarah in the last 4 years), though it was lovely when the Doctor had at least done his homework and knew all about her - clever! "I've waited all my silly life!"

It was such a true, loving tribute to a character we hadn't seen for almost 40 years and what was so clever was that it showed a major contrast between Jo and Sarah - the latter's struggle to live up to being suddenly dumped by the Doctor, not getting married etc. and Jo having family galore and arguably finding a fuller life.

Also the Time War. So there.
    What, that the Time War's decanonised all the books? OK by me.

Someone's apparently pointed out on GB that Dorothy's organisation was called A Charitable Earth, which might well have been a further hint as to which one she was.

I see what they did there.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Ain't acronyms brilliant?

I'm a bit behind the times, but have just watched both episodes on the iPlayer. Warm and wonderful and watchable, I hope the kids the series is actually aimed at enjoyed it as much as we older fanboys because I found that just tremendous. Moving in all the right places without overdoing it, and at almost the same time hilarious - Jo's opening scene was just right, and it was interesting that she somehow managed to make Sarah's life of constantly fighting alien terrors seem, somehow, a little bit dull and ordinary!!

(BTW, on the subject of old companions, I see Sarah using the past tense when it comes to Harry. Actually a nice touch, since she said she loved him, but I found that really very sad.)

Put my question in spoilers for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.
    Is this the first SJA to have a human actually die? No Harry, but the UNIT woman?

Harry's death being gently implied was just so beautifully right wasn't it?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Harry's death being gently implied was just so beautifully right wasn't it?

Si.
    No I agree. If another writer other than RTD had written it, they would have needed a great script editor.

really enjoyed these two episodes and loved the flashbacks to the Tom & Jon eras -- Katy Manning is even more scatter brained then she was as the Doctor's companion. As for Matt Smith, i'm lovin this guy the more I see him...as the Doctor.

I really enjoyed it too, as others have mentioned it was a delight to see Katy and Elisabeth spark off of each other, and with all but no Luke in the episode the kids didn't annoy me either.

My only complaint is that when she mentioned Tegan, she didn't say something like "She's the only one who seems to have gone a bit mad...lives in a big house with 25 cats and just shouts and screams to herself all day...Very sad..."
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Rather underwhelmed and disappointed by this one, I'm afraid, and notice I'm the lowest marker so far!

Episode 1 was too slow to get going (and guessed Laila Rouass was a baddie), and episode 2 felt as rushed and full of too many aspects as RTD often gets. And where I might have been looking forward to the return of the character of Jo Grant, all I felt I got was the return of Katy Manning. I think it lost me with Sladen's poor acting (imo) and dialogue in those first scenes in ep.1, to be honest.

Good things :- Matt Smith, of course, and the scene with him & Clyde as he went backwards down the air vent. The 'baked' line, and I didn't really mind the Shansheeth.

A couple of questions....

What was the point of including Jo's grand-son? I couldn't see what it really added to the story, unless he's going to return at some point to fill Luke's vacant role?

Did the Doctor get the intercom working, I couldn't tell? Otherwise it seemed odd that he was whispering through metal doors and they could still hear him. I mean, I had trouble doing so.

I couldn't help thinking either that BBC Worldwide must be happy with RTD over this story. He provided a gap for novels etc. where the 11th is travelling alone, and also provided what seems like a whole season's worth of possibilities for the 10th, as we learn that his last regeneration seemed to have lasted months as he visited everyone he's ever travelled with!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Think how complicated it would have to get if you included all the companions from comic strips, novels, audios and so on. Imagine Tennant passing by to check up on Olla the Heat Vampire, Destrii, Jeremy Fitzoliver, Erimem, Frobisher, Sharon, Mrs Wibbsey...

I bet Nick and Rob didn't let him go quietly either.

Si.

What was the point of including Jo's grand-son?
    TBH I think it was mainly to reinforce the notion of Jo as a grandmother.

For me, I felt that the way it was written was very Jo - what's kooky & ditzy in a young woman in her 20s, is just a little bit batty in a woman in her 60s.

Incidentally, did he definitely say he'd popped back to see everyone he'd travelled with? I thought he'd meant he, well, googled them (ie, looked them up on the TARDIS equivalent of the net) to find out what happened to them, not that he actually dropped in.

If so, it begs the question - what kind of order was he doing them in? Clearly not alphabetically, and clearly not in sequence, as Rose was the last one. Or maybe he totally forgot about her until the last minute - ha, so much for the love of his life!!

I didn't get the impression he used Google....

Oh, and I forgot to say, at one point I thought the resolution was going to be that Sarah Jane & Jo had never actually seen the Tardis key, it being a new series invention to give one (ooerr) to the companion. I should have guessed we'd get another TLotTL magic mumbo jumbo!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild