View Poll Results: How would you rate Death of the Doctor?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Excellent

3 21.43%
  • 9: Great

4 28.57%
  • 8: Fab

3 21.43%
  • 7: Groovy

2 14.29%
  • 6: Pretty Good

0 0%
  • 5: Average

2 14.29%
  • 4: Not so great

0 0%
  • 3: Didn't think much of that

0 0%
  • 2: Pretty rubbish really

0 0%
  • 1: Dross

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 4.3 Death of the Doctor

Sarah Jane meets Jo Jones tonight! Hooray!

But what did you think of it, eh?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I cannot wait! It's going to be icon-tastic!

Si.

Sure is!

Si xx

And for once I've rememberd it's on today so I don't have to wait until later in the week!

Manning's turning into:

Of course, in the old days Sarah was always thinking the Doctor was dead, so nothing ever changes.

Si xx

Aww! That was just wonderful! iIt's lovely to have Josephine Jones back.

Si xx

That was lovely. Got teary eyed. I'm either getting softer or that was a special first part?
    Voted ten, bit daft without seeing the second part but the moment took me.

It's OK Dino, I got teary eyed too.

Si xx

If someone who had never seen the Sarah Jane Adventures wanted to watch this, would this hypothetical person be able to pick up what was going on or are the SJAs too broad and too deep for a newcomer?
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

You'll be fine Lissa. It's all very clear.

Si xx

Damn - you saw through my cunning disguise. I could've been talking about anyone.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I'm very perceptive.

Si xx

What the hell has happened to Katy Mannings mouth?!

Apparently she was saying that it's the rest of her face that's shrunk.

Wow, we were straight back into RTD-land with this story, weren't we? Aliens that are based on monsters, The Graske/Groske business (Zotchi/Vinvotchi anyone?), the Doctor getting slowly blasted by a weird alien ray for the cliffhanger (Aliens of London) and absolutely outstanding characterisation.

I don't know if there are any other writers who can make you laugh and then cry about the return of Jo Grant all in the space of one scene, but RTD can do it. Every single damn line that Jo Jones spouted in that episode is quotable, from 'Of course it's not really handblown, your hands would get to hot' too 'I didn't think he could change his face into a baby!*' Matt Smith might have been the big attraction for this episode, but Katy Manning was like a whirlwind from the moment she arrived. Absolutely perfect!

And I really liked the Shansheeth. So much better than the usual latex head + boiler suit arrangement. The way they played their Golden Chord was quite impressive too.

And we got four Doctors on screen in one story!

*quotes may only be 60% accurate.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I just watched part 1 on the i player and it was brilliant. The way Jo and Sarah interacted was brilliant and I felt sorry for Jo when Sarah said the Doctor had been back in her life. I just hope part 2 is just as good.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

Not sure about that at all. It started promisingly, then seemed to pause for about a week while Jo and Sarah got various reminiscences out of their systems. But it worked OK as a set-up for an action-packed part 2, as long as that's what we get.

The was fine - I popped for the uber-obscure reference to an unseen adventure mentioned in Timelash, Rani is really rather delish and it is never not absolutely brilliant to have Matt Smith's Doctor on television. The alien bird things were a bit too Rod Hull and Emu and the C in CBBC is not silent in the SJAs but overall better than I expected.

And even I - watching my first episode as I was - can see that Jo's grandson is clearly there to replace the other floppy haired boy in the show's main cast.

#dammitbrent

I do hope so.

"Oooh - I've been to Peladon too!"

It was a thrilling half an hour, and the obvious thing to say of course is how heartstoppingly perfect Katy Manning was - Who didn't grin all the way through her opening scene? and it was a nice contrast to have her get on with Sarah rather than be in competition to her. And rather poignant when Jo realised the Doctor had come back to see Sarah Jane, but never her... a brilliant example of Russell thinking of an angle none of us had. And "Look at you now... it's like someone's baked you!" was a very cheeky line from the Doctor.

I must say Matt also managed to look more perfect as the Doctor when he arrived than he did throughout the whole of last season. All in all, it was packed with lovely, heartwarming continuity references (a shame they didn't tell Katy how to pronounce "Karfel" though), and you suddenly realised it was the most fun we've had since "The Stolen Earth".

One complaint... even though we know he won't really die, it was still incredibly stupid to follow up a cliffhanger of the Doctor about to be destroyed with a clip from next week showing him alive and well. Chuck in the revelation about Leila Rouse being a traitor and the trailer gave far, far too much away.

Otherwise, huge fun, and even the Muppet Turkey's were sinister.

Si.

And Eternity Weeps has been nicely nudged into canonicity.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

And Genocide has been nudged out

Si xx

Not necessarily, it may take place in the future.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

But she'd only had a single son in that book.

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 26th Oct 2010 at 7:20 PM. Reason: Correcting factual errors.

Why does everyone have it in for the Shansheeth? They were superb.

As was the episode really, heart-warming and thrilling in equal measure. I'm still not quite sure what was going on with the Doctor's backstory, but it sort of makes sense. I guess.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Aww! Like yesterday I've come away with a soppy smile on my face after that. It pushed all the right buttons and while maybe it wasn't the greatest story ever, the mere fact that it exists is enough for me.

Matt Smith is such a lovely Doctor and was perfect for this story. With no 10 there would have been too much apologising and agonising, but Jo's little mention of the Time Lords foloowed by the sad look that crossed the Doctor's features for a moment was perfectly done. Very touching without beign too much.

Very enjoyable, very silly but absolutely lovely.

Si xx