Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I particularly enjoyed Si Hunt's wolf, and the very well spoken woodsman.

Charmer.

Excellent job, all- especially Paul for the great script.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I find it hard to be objective about Andrew's music as I'm far too over-familiar with his style, but it certainly gave the production the necessary back-notes. However, I was a little disappointed that it was quite tinny in the context of the overall mix; not sure if this was how it was recorded or if it was deliberately mixed this way in post production?
    I can't say that it sounded tinny to me; in fact I like the fact that on some the cues the bass really comes across (maybe I've just got a particulary good pair of headphones)?
    However, I do completely understand Si's point about the noise reduction. I apply it to every track in every cue. It's probably just the combination of me using my, what is now a very old, keyboard with the basic 'Audacity' application. I tend to get a lot of background hums and odd noises and so I use the noise reduction built into Audacity to get rid of it. I produed this music in the same way as I did for The Tamaras Crisis - except back then I had a little more time to clean up the cues and get them sounding the way I wanted. If I'm to do anymore soundtracks I'll invest in some proper recording software. With regard to my style, well yes I do structure things in a certain way and that may stand out as my 'style' - mind you that's how I can usually tell a Paddy Kingsland score or a Peter Howell score within a few seconds or so. I did try and improve on what I've done before and actually took note of the feedback I got from (name drop alert) Roger Limb on my 'Tamaras' soundtrack CD - there are some actual melodies in Once Upon a Time Lord!!!
    One last comment on the music:
    I have to praise Si for the way he used the cues (particularily in the second episode). It's a little odd hearing the cues extended, or in some cases re-arranged completey - it's all still there but in a different order! But over all it had to be done to match what had been recorded (I should have point out that the music was produced prior to the dialogue being recorded - which of course is not really the way it should work, but is the only pratical way to do it within a reasonable time scale). I'm really very impressed by the way it was all put together.

Right onto the story and the actors - what can I say? Brilliant as always. I think Paul was worried about the resolution, but I think it works really well. Everything is explained and the explanations work well in the context of the story. The 2 ladies were excellent and I think that Paul does a very good job in this one.
    I'm looking forward to the next one.

I love the way this season is being spaced out; it gives you a good chance to really become familar with each story before starting the next one (I can't take too much new stuff in one hit).

Really good quality script, excellent performers and excellent production work - 10 out of 10!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Oy!

No-one's mentioned the Fresh Fields moment!
    Oh! So that was the mysterious theme playing on the telly in the Wolf's stomach then? I didn't recognise it and wondered what it was.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

With regard to my style, well yes I do structure things in a certain way and that may stand out as my 'style' - mind you that's how I can usually tell a Paddy Kingsland score or a Peter Howell score within a few seconds or so. I did try and improve on what I've done before and actually took note of the feedback I got from (name drop alert) Roger Limb on my 'Tamaras' soundtrack CD - there are some actual melodies in Once Upon a Time Lord!!!
    It's funny you mention Roger Limb, as there was one piece of music in [art 2 which sounded really Roger Limb-y to me. I can't remember where (and I haven't got time to look it up right now I'm afraid) but it really stood out to me!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's funny you mention Roger Limb, as there was one piece of music in [art 2 which sounded really Roger Limb-y to me. I can't remember where (and I haven't got time to look it up right now I'm afraid) but it really stood out to me!

Si xx
    Roger is a really nice bloke and I feel quite jammy to know him through jazz circles as it means I can talk to him about jazz or Doctor Who (my two favourite subjects). Having said that, although I tried to follow some of the tips he gave me I didn't set out to sound like him. He's not one of my Radiophonic Workshop favourites when it comes to the actual music - not that I've told him that of course!!!

He's not one of my Radiophonic Workshop favourites when it comes to the actual music - not that I've told him that of course!!!
    Poor old Roger- he's no-one's favourite!

Si xx

Just listening to Part 2 now.

Susan is mental... Brilliantly over played in true panto-villain style.

Wolf: "If I can not have you inside me then at least I can let you ride me"

I liked that line but in my head the Wolf was going to be a bit more Noel Coward like. As it turned out the Mirror was camper than I thought so Si was right to do a growly voice!

Yes, it surprises even me that I didn't ad-lib that line! it was Paul, the scamp!

Si.

Indeed! Deep inside of me there is a very camp man!

TIM!

Si.

Oh my!

Si xx

Bazinga !

pmsl

Well I'm glad to say I don't have to tell Paul off for a disappointing finale, that was fantastic fun, everything that I said about the first episode applies, and then some!

I think it was the "If I couldn't have you inside me...!" line which made me laugh the most, but there were lots of other fantastic ones, and the sword fighting section was lovely stuff too, as was the solution to Ed's escape from the Queen's evil powers!

Have to say I'm a bit disturbed by the end - I'm sure RTD episodes didn't have as much snogging as this episode did!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I liked that line but in my head the Wolf was going to be a bit more Noel Coward like. As it turned out the Mirror was camper than I thought so Si was right to do a growly voice!
    Camp, dear? Who, dear? Me, dear? Yes, dear!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Well I'm glad to say I don't have to tell Paul off for a disappointing finale, that was fantastic fun, everything that I said about the first episode applies, and then some!
    Phew! I was thinking of not letting you into our house again for fear of being clobbered.

After a pretty poor week I'm looking forward to settling down with a beer or two tonight and getting to listen to part 2
    Bazinga !

Part two was very amusing!

Susan's portrayal of The Queen reminded me a lot of Miranda Richardson's 'Queenie' from Blackadder II - moments of extreme OTT-ness followed by quiet calm!

Excellent episode 2 - not much to add from what others have said; I liked the music more in this one, and had the odd BF-style lurch for the volume when Pulcreena really went for it
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Excellent episode 2 - not much to add from what others have said; I liked the music more in this one, and had the odd BF-style lurch for the volume when Pulcreena really went for it
    Ta very much Jon, although I suspect any luches in volume are Si's doing rather than mine!!!

After a slightly up & down week or so, I've finally - finally - been able to sit down and listen to part 2 today.

I have to confess that I didn't make any comment on part 1, because it just didn't seem to be shaping up as my kind of story. That's not anything against the writing, acting, production, etc - that was as competent as ever (in fact, I almost take for granted the high quality of the PS productions). But that sort of 'fantasy stuff' doesn't really grip me - I recall struggling through one of the early NAs (the one with the unicorn on the cover) and similarly, I always start to lose interest during the middle episodes of The Mind Robber.

However, now I've heard the whole thing I've actually really enjoyed it. Particularly clever was the actual explanation, of it being a book (sorry, The Book) who was behind it all. Actually it made for quite a poignant ending, and having (like everybody else I think, based on the comments on this thread) really enjoyed Susan's amazingly crazy Pulcreena, I thought she was also really good at being the more restrained voice of the book.

Good performances all round, a lot of fun to be had out of the camp mirror, and the butch fairy. And a neat script - very thoughtfully put together, so that (for example) although at the time I thought the Princess defending her weight by claiming to be dimensionally transcendental was just a fanboy joke, it ultimately turns out to be a clue to the story.

Really enjoyed it, well done chaps!!

I must just add a word about the music - it worked really well, in the sense that I never found myself actively listening to it, but I could 'feel' that it was doing its job of accompanying/guiding the action. So I can't comment on what individual bits sounded like, but I can definitely say it worked very well!!

Dare I ask, is a Clancy version of the theme tune on the cards...?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Dare I ask, is a Clancy version of the theme tune on the cards...?
    Now that is something I'd really love to hear! Maybe we could arrange for Planet Skaro folks to babysit whilst you work hard at it?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Now that is something I'd really love to hear! Maybe we could arrange for Planet Skaro folks to babysit whilst you work hard at it?
    babysit? You have no idea what you would be letting yourselves in for!!!