Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I was one of those who felt that the 1973 life was the fantasy one, simply because Sam had knowledge of the future that he wouldn't have had if the 2006/2007 world had been the fantasy. He describes Heroin as Skag and Smack, words that weren't in use in the 70's, which implied the knowledge of the future. Then, of course, there was the info about the IRA attacks on mainland Britain.
    And he knew that Red Rum won the 1973 Grand National.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

There are quite a few 'future references', another glaring one was his casual mention that they should check the CCTV, plus maybe a few hundred more littering the series!

The answer is simple. The reality that we all occupy is actually Sam Tyler's fantasy. Obviously! Think about it! Duh!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

My review of the finale is available at The Vervoid should anybody be interested:

http://www.thevervoid.com/media/tvnotdead20.htm

Having religiously avoided this thread, and any other online references, we finally watched the last episode tonight on BBC4. My take was that 2007 is the real world, but ultimately he couldn't go back there and was no longer 'alive' - so he jumps off the roof to go back. Personally I think it worked really well, and (picking up on what Matthew Graham says in that quote on the previous page) John Simms was excellent in that scene on the roof. When he suddenly starts to really belt it, he somehow put across the real sense of joy of suddenly knowing 100% what you want to do, and it made what could have been an "euch, he's killed himself" ending into something rather joyful. And when they finally kissed... perfect.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I can't help thinking Matthew Graham has shot himself in the foot somewhat- there we all were cooing over what a complex resolution he'd devised and how many possible interpretations there were, and then the muppet comes along and gives an interview saying how it wasn't meant to be that complex after all. If nothing else, it's an implicit criticism of the production if it turned a straightforward narrative into an ambiguous one.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    I can't help thinking Matthew Graham has shot himself in the foot somewhat- there we all were cooing over what a complex resolution he'd devised and how many possible interpretations there were, and then the muppet comes along and gives an interview saying how it wasn't meant to be that complex after all. If nothing else, it's an implicit criticism of the production if it turned a straightforward narrative into an ambiguous one.
    Or perhaps he didn't want to be pestered for the rest of his life over what the ending meant like Patrick McGoohan!

I think you're right Ian, judging from what I've read here and on other forums, straight after the show everyone was gushing about how great an episode it was (including me), but now the general response seems to be a sort of "meh...well...that was a bit disappointing then..."
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Don't forget, this was the man who gave us "Fear Her" last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Don't forget, this was the man who gave us "Fear Her" last year...
    Not to mention The Last Train!

My reaction to the finale of Life on Mars was rather the reverse of that suggested above by Alex - I was fairly nonplussed about it immediately, but have since warmed to it.

I didn't know that about Graham writing Fear Her or The Last Train, both of which I didn't mind but didn't love, it's interesting that he created one of my favourite shows of recent years in that light.

I enjoyed reading your review btw Paul, though I wouldn't be quite so sure about the death of tv moments like this just yet. I think word of mouth will always spread when something really great (or really awful) is on television, take this year's Big Brother for instance, which had fairly poor viewing figures until the whole Jade scandal flared up. And Who has been one of those shows which an awful lot of people have really got excited about too.

If anything, I think it's because the general standard of tv is so low at the moment that viewing figures have declined and we're suffering from the loss of tv which unites the country, but well, that's a thread for another day really!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I liked The Last Train - though as I recall, it had a bit of a disappointing ending after a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    I liked The Last Train - though as I recall, it had a bit of a disappointing ending after a great start.
    I liked that series too, and yes, it did have a disappointing end, I never saw it. I followed it faithfully all through and Viv forgot to set the video for the last episode, and I've not seen sight nor sound of it since.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Sci-Fi bought it last year and repeated it to death, I think. It's perhaps not coincidental that one of its main strengths was the atmosphere and the amount of work that went into creating a believable devastated Britain, but on the other hand the writing did seem to be a polish or two away from what it needed to be- not having seen it all the way through for a long time, the pacing seemed to vary dramatically from episode to episode. And equally, one of the bravest steps it took was to kill off one of the main characters halfway through- the Amita Dhiri character who, thanks to This Life, was flavour of the month at the time.

Incidentally, the tunnel where the eponymous Last Train was trapped was in fact the same tunnel (Summerseat, I think) on the East Lancashire Railway where the heist in Tuesday's episode was filmed.

the Amita Dhiri character who, thanks to This Life, was flavour of the month at the time.
    For which Graham *also* wrote, incidentally.

have to agree with you on that one for Graham to come out and give an interview just hours after the final episode was shown was probably a little short sighted . It did spoil things a little and to keep all the mystery and debate going as to what was going on I think he should of waited a good few months before talking.

Rumours abound about who the lead actress in Ashes to Ashes will be
    http://www.orange.co.uk/entertainmen...rriedeathshock

Battle of the babes
    Have you, like us, found yourself staring ruefully at old Ford Cortinas and men with bristling moustaches ever since Life On Marss shocking finale? Well, the good news is that the 1980s spin-off Ashes To Ashes is already in the pipeline with a trio of TV babes (as theyre known in the business and the Daily Star) battling it out to play the female lead.

Producers have drawn up a shortlist for the part of Detective Chief Inspector Alex Drake - and actress Thandie Newton is favourite to land the part. You remember, Thandie, dont you? Shes always popping up on chat shows and film premieres but never seems to make any movies herself (apart from Norbit. And the less said about that the better).

Thandie faces some stiff competition from New Street Law's Lisa Faulkner and Bad Girls star Liz May Brice. As a BBC source points out: Life On Mars was such a success that these gorgeous women will do anything to land the job. They know it will be huge.

Filming starts in London in July and plot details are already reaching our straining ears. Apparently, the character DCI Drake comes across reports written by Sam Tyler (John Simms character in Life On Mars) after coming out of his coma. Then, after being involved in a kidnap and subsequent terrible accident, she wakes up in 1981 to find herself working alongside LOMs DCI Gene Hunt (now thats what we call a hangover).

Ashes To Ashes is the next chapter in the life of Gene Hunt, from the viewpoint of a no-nonsense woman, says producer Jane Featherstone. And knowing Genes less-that-sensitive rapport with members of the fairer sex, it really will be an eye-opener.
    I can't see it being Thandie Newton to be honest, I'd have thought she was too big a star. It'd be interesting if it was Liz May Brice though, she went to college with a friend of mine, he phoned me today to say he'd heard the rumour that she might be cast, apparently I've met her and saw her act in one of the college plays, but I've no memory of her alas...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Names mean little to me...I need pictures.

I always aim to please.

Newton!

Brice!

Faulkner!

It's a tough choice, I know, but I think I'll be happiest if it's the Faulkner...!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Last time Faulkner worked for Kudos they ended up sticking her head in a deep fat fryer...

It's a tough choice, I know
    For some reason, that made me smile. I suspect it'll be Faulkner, for some reason. Although... what's Billie doing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    For some reason, that made me smile. I suspect it'll be Faulkner, for some reason. Although... what's Billie doing these days?
    Probably taking some advice about over exposure I would suggest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hayes View Post
    Last time Faulkner worked for Kudos they ended up sticking her head in a deep fat fryer...
    A bit harsh - most production companies just cancel the contracts if they're unhappy with their stars.....

There are much better Thandie Newton pics kicking about.

Faulkner should do some sex comedies like wot her mother dun. She's clearly wasting her career. The Lover was years ago!

Well seeing as this is set in 1981 then I think Thandie Newton is the best choice from those three. The other two have a contemporary look that I don't think will work.

I can't wait for James' links to turn up.

Brice I say! She was brill in Bad Girls.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.