Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dave Lewis Guest

Default Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

"I read the news today, oh boy..."

But where did you read it? I bet it was on BBC News online, or one the scroller on News 24. Does anybody still regularly buy, or read, a newspaper in 2007?

Has the printed page had its day now, in the light of online media, twenty four hour telly, news-on-the-go on your phone or your PDA, or is there still something strangely reassuring about reading the articles and analysis in something that was made, something that physically exists?

Is there a paper you prefer over all others, and have been a subscriber thereof for ten years? Is there one that you never buy, and go out of your way to encourage others not to read? Do you enjoy the football in the Daily Mirror, or the right-wing rhetoric of the Daily Telegraph? Do you ogle the titties on page three in the Sun and the Star, or on every page in the Daily Sport? Do you believe Princess Diana is still alive, and therefore read the Daily Express?

What are your papery preferences? Tell us... er, all about it...

Pip Madeley Guest

I occasionally flick through the Mirror and the Guardian at work, and read our local newspaper (shoved through our door every week). But I'm not big on papers. I have BBC Entertainment News on My Favourites and check it every day (then going on to read the regular BBC News headlines).

we don't get the newspapers as much as we used to do and for the most we now only tend to get them at the weekend the ones we get are The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday and The People.

Wayne Guest

I haven't bought a paper for a couple of years or more, now. I used to get The Mirror on a Saturday, because they used to have a decent TV Guide with good Film Reviews etc... But it eventually became a glossy mag full of adverts like all the others.
    When my sister comes to stay usually for about 5 days every month, She gets The Sun & The Mirror everyday, so i usually have a butchers. (Which is how i knew about all this Jade Goody/CBB crap, of late)
    But otherwise, i have to admit that over the years i've gradually become less & less interested in what happens in the world, & more & more cynical about the way the media (in particular the press) manipulates things. This may not be a good thing, but that's the way it is.
    Last edited by Wayne; 23rd Jan 2007 at 5:18 PM.

The Sun, News of the World, Daily Star and Daily Mail for me.

Captain Tancredi Guest

On a work day I usually just read the Metro paper on the bus in the morning and then check BBCi when I come in at night. I'll only usually buy a paper if I'm going on a journey and need one to kill the time- I've never really found one I felt comfortable with politically. And when the issue of recycling comes around, newspapers must be some of the worst offenders as the whole point of them is that they're useless at the end of 24 hours.

I usually use the BBC online news, which is as informative as you could wish for, and is available at convenient times (ie, whenever you want). The only paper I read is the Daily Mail, because both my & Zel's parents get it, so I sometimes read theirs.

I strongly object to tabloid newspapers, and believe they unhealthily influence our opinions. Anyone who's ever said to someone else "'ere, did you know that..." after reading something (and we've all done it) is proof of that. I think the gutter press are to blame for lives being ruined, our celebrity culture, and Diana being killed and... well, if you buy them, then you fund that culture. You're to blame.

I don't buy any paper anyway, because BBC News on-line is comprehensive and that seems like a decent, fact-based news service. Even the magazine articles rarely try and influence your opinion so much as tell you things that are interesting to know.

Si.

I take part in the biggest social activity on London Underground. Thats reading The Metro that was left on the seat by the previous occupant and then leaving it for the person after me. For a freebie, it is remarkably good.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Newspaper sales are dwindling, and they're trying allsorts to rekindle it, but I think it's dead in the water. 21st century news is instant, News24/7, not 24 hourly. And we're not even allowed to wrap our chips up in it these days.

I tend to read The Daily Express and The Daily Mail although of the two I prefer the Daily Mail, as I like to read the page where people write up and ask questions about something they have always wanted to know about things i.e. historical events etc
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

I read the Metro, and only the Metro!

have to be honest the main reason I get the Sun and the People is only because they have a good football section other than that i'm not interested in the rest of the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I read the Metro, and only the Metro!

I'll leave one on the seat for you tomorrow then?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Hey Martin, do you have the Metro in Birmingham too then? I thought it was London paper.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

We get it in Manchester, Si.

The paper was launched in London in 1999, and can now be found in 13 UK urban centres. Localised editions are distributed in Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sussex, Sheffield, The East Midlands, Bristol and Bath. A Dublin version, launched in conjunction with Metro International and The Irish Times, began publications on 10 October 2005. It is part of the same media group as the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday and the Evening Standard, although in some areas, the paper operates as a franchise with a local newspaper publisher, rather than as a wholly owned concern.

Captain Tancredi Guest

The Leeds and Sheffield ones are the same- or at least we get the same restaurant reviews, club listing, football reports and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I take part in the biggest social activity on London Underground. Thats reading The Metro that was left on the seat by the previous occupant and then leaving it for the person after me. For a freebie, it is remarkably good.

I can remember when every body going home from work in London, used to read the now extinct London Evening News...

I might be the only one around here who avoids news papers. They are out of date, half of them are wrong, incorrect or just wildly inaccurate & they try & tell you what to think rather than just telling you the news.
    I'd sooner skim through BBC24 & Skynews24 & workout what the actual stories are from a mix of those.
    If the Daily Mail had thier way we'd all be scared of a mass exodus from Europe to England!

Most of the time I just read the Metro on my brief train journey - in fact I read it this morning. As a freebie it's OK for passing a few minutes.

I've never really bought a daily paper as I just don't have time to read it. Sometimes I get a Sunday newspaper and that would be the Times.

I hate the print coming off on my fingers.

Instead I get my news from the internet, radio and TV. Who wants "Olds" printed on a piece of paper when you can have News. Plus you decide on the net what you want to read, I have no interest in most of the crap the likes of the Daily Depress sees as news worthy items.
    Last edited by Ralph; 25th Jan 2007 at 12:41 PM.

I don't read the papers either, usually. Although I do read the Metro over other people's shoulders, sometimes the headlines seem interesting. Whenever I've picked up my own Metro it's been bitterly boring and disappointing. Very occasionally I buy the Evening Standard when I fancy doing the cryptic crossword.

It's all blown out the water by BBC online news and Yahoo! news online (as the BBC site is blocked at work). I'd recommend the BBC site, especially the Magazine section, as being moderately interesting.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If anything I'd read the Daily Mirror, a "newspaper" with deep Labour roots, I say that with a sense of irony as the paper is nothing more than a carbon copy of The Sun and The Star, wildly innacurate comics reporting no news, but instead concentrating on the rise of moronic celebrity TV.
    Thankfully my newsagent no longer has a daily delivery and I can't be bothered to go and fetch a paper every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    . Although I do read the Metro over other people's shoulders, sometimes the headlines seem interesting.

oh shame on you Steve - that's the hight of bad manners..

Trudi G Guest

I watch News 24, because it's always there to check whats going on, and i also read a local free paper that comes out on a Friday.

We use the free paper to wrap up whatever's left of dinner before it goes in the bin! I once had an argument with the woman that delivered "Church and Country in Sawbridgeworth" telling her to save their money and not send it to us. She got all offended and told me I should be interested in the community.

Si.