Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rupert Murdoch Is Trying To Buy Even MORE Power

Rupert Murdoch already owns a large stake in Sky, as well as the Sun, News of the World and the Times newspapers.

I'm sure a lot of you will be worried by the frankly stinking implications that are leaking through about this, especially to do with Murdoch's influence on the Government itself, and his worrying dislike of the BBC. Basically, the Government has a certain amount of control over the BBC, the BBC are seen by Murdoch as rivals to his global "News Corp" and David Cameron has been seen schmoozing on Murdoch's private yacht. It doesn't exact look "corrupt free" does it?

Now, Murdoch is trying to seize even more power by trying to buy up the rest of BSkyB (Sky). Does our democratic society need this man to control even more of the media? His initial bid has been turned down, but only because it was seen as "too low" (chairmen want 800p a share instead of 700p) and they've indicated they will accept if the billionaire's next offer is better.

Enter Vince Cable. No, don't, but Cable has ordered an enquiry into the proposed shares buy-up on the grounds of a threat to media impartiality. This is great news for anyone interested in democracy and this man not gaining even more power over the free-thinking Planet, but the battle isn't over yet. Murdoch is a powerful man and will be using his contacts within Government to ensure that the investigation gives him an easy ride.

It's not often we have cause to write to our MP's with positive comments, but we must support the Governments decision to investigate this take-over, and make sure our MP's are clearly mobilised against the deal going ahead.

Can you imagine the danger of the World's media all being run by one man?

Please contact your MP here:

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/spe...ochs-Powergrab

To ensure they are against Murdoch's buy-up of the remainder of BSkyB.

Si.

If you want a microcosm of a Murdoch owned future look at Channel 5 since Richard Desmond bought it. His "newspapers" - the Star and the Express - now plug 5's programmes to an absurd degree while still purporting to be neutral observers.

The problem in this country is that there is only Murdoch. In America there are a few huge media companies - Disney, Viacom, Universal, Fox, Time Warner - who more or less keep each other in check. Disney owns ABC, Viacom owns CBS, Universal might own NBC (or vice versa), Fox owns Fox and so on. In the UK we have Murdoch owning Sky (both the channels and the system that people subscribe to in order to view the channels), the BBC which is publically funded and that's it. ITV destroyed itself in a wave of ill-considered mergers, Virgin Media is selling its channels off to concentrate on service provision and none of the big American companies has done anything more than slight dabbling (Disney with ESPN, Universal with Hallmark etc).

The government may prevent Murdoch from buying Sky but he'll still be the dominant shareholder and will still be in control effectively. If the government wanted to reduce Murdoch's power (and they don't) they would force Sky to split into two separate companies - one which owns the channels and one which delivers the service to the customer. The channels company would have to supply its wares to any platform willing to pay the market rate for them (which opens the door to rival companies entering the marketplace) and the service provider would need to give greater prominance to other brand's channels in order to compete.

So I can't see that this case is important in and of itself because the damage has already been done but it will show whether the goverment, the competition authorities and the EU have the guts to oppose Murdoch.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Is there any stopping Murdock? I know he took great exception to Obama, and has been undermining him at every turn with his news stations - so is obviously pleased with recent elections outcome.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Send a message to Ofcom to help prevent this: http://www.avaaz.org/en/ofcom_no_bskyb_takeover/?rc=fb

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Congratulations, I was just about to put that link up myself.

Great minds and all that...

Or librarians maybe!

Si xx

60,000 signatures in the end, not bad. Hope it's enough!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Great minds and all that...

Or librarians maybe!
    Is it back-handed compliments day then?

It would explain my whole day if it was.

Oh no Tim, that's just pefectly normal paranoia. Just ask the men in the van outside to go away and they will. Or at least to stop reading your mind while you make your tea tonight...

You know they're getting a little bit desperate when they resort to a defence like this -

Blocking News Corporation's £8bn bid for BSkyB would be "contrary to the public interest" because it could lead to a reduction in the number of news providers in the UK, the pay-TV company claims.

In a strongly-worded submission to media regulator Ofcom, published today, the Sky board said blocking the takeover would threaten the future of its 24 hours news channel, Sky News.
    Sky News has survived for 20 years because it is the worthy and respectable face of Sky Television so of course they'd seek to cast doubt on it if they don't get their own way. Just like a council pointing at all the poor little old ladies that would be cast out onto the streets if they have to tighten their belts a bit. It's just a touch pathetic.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Or indeed Tony Blair always said if they reduced taxes, it'd be less money for schools and hospitals. Alas the amount spent on schools and hospitals which isn't an issue, it's where all the other money goes that's the issue Tony!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Does Sky News (or indeed any broadcaster) really need to broadcast 24/7 in any case? Who is awake 24/7?

And if Sky news went to the wall, of course that may well mean losing a news channel that not everyone actually has access to in any case, and one that not everyone actually wants, Mr. Murdoch. There's still your newspapers, even if you are scared of BBC 24 and BBC Parliament.

The point is that Sky News will never be closed or allowed to go under. In the late 80s during the BSB vs Sky battle they could've closed Sky News (expensive and almost entirely unwatched) to keep themselves afloat but even then Murdoch knew the value of it as a political tool far outweighed its costs as a TV channel.

#dammitbrent

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    The point is that Sky News will never be closed or allowed to go under. In the late 80s during the BSB vs Sky battle they could've closed Sky News (expensive and almost entirely unwatched) to keep themselves afloat but even then Murdoch knew the value of it as a political tool far outweighed its costs as a TV channel.
    Ah! like a strategic tax loss! What was that song again? Springtime for Murdoch in Siderney? Was that the one?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Can you imagine the danger of the World's media all being run by one man?
    We missed the obvious here ...

"That power would set me up above the gods"

And through the topboxes I shall have that power!

Dennis Potter named his cancer Rupert, in honour of Mr Murdoch.

Says it all, really...

Oh well, nothing to stop Murdoch now that his mate is in charge of the review.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Not only that...

EU clears Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation BSkyB bid

The European Commission has approved the takeover bid made by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation for satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

The commission ruled that the takeover would not "significantly impede" competition in Europe.

The news came before the revelation that UK Business Secretary Vince Cable had said he planned to block the move to take full control of BSkyB.

Mr Cable told undercover reporters that he had "declared war" on Mr Murdoch.

His comments - revealed by BBC business editor Robert Peston - came during a conversation with Daily Telegraph reporters posing as members of the public from his Twickenham constituency.

As Business Secretary, Mr Cable will have the ultimate say on whether News Corporation's bid for BSkyB can go ahead.

In a statement, News Corporation said it was "shocked and dismayed by reports of Mr Cable's comments".

"They raise serious questions about fairness and due process," the company added.

BSkyB said it would not be commenting on Mr Cable's comments.

'Legitimate interests'

A separate investigation by the UK competition authority Ofcom is continuing.

Its inquiry is looking into "media plurality" - the degree to which news outlets are concentrated under one organisation's ownership.

The commission said its ruling in no way prejudiced Ofcom's investigation.

"The UK remains free to decide whether or not to take appropriate measures to protect its legitimate interest in media plurality," it said in a statement.

Major assets

News Corp already owns 39% of BSkyB, and is looking to take full control of the company.

News Corp titles, which also include the News of the World newspaper, account for a third of the UK's national newspaper circulation, while BSkyB has almost 10 million customers.

As well as its UK interests, News Corp owns other major assets including the Fox film and TV empire, as well as major publishing companies, including Harper Collins.

Well fancy that.

Si xx

Mr Cable told undercover reporters that he had "declared war" on Mr Murdoch.
    Not every day one finds one's sympathies lying with a politician...

TBH, I don't really care if Murdoch, dose buy the rest of the shares in BskyB, i'm already paying £70 p/m subscription so I very much doubt it will make much of a difference to what I pay.

Isn't that a bit of a 'me' attitude though. It doesn't matter if the world's media is taken over by one individual as long as my subscription doesn't go up?!

Si.

It occurred to me that the whole Vince Cable thing could be related to his opposition to Murdoch. Even though it wasn't the Murdoch press that brought him down, it still seems awfully convenient timing.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!