Default An American sport question

Here's something I've always wanted to know. In football we have transfer fees - Player 1 plays for Team A but Team B want him. Team B pays a vast sum of money to Team A for Player 1 and the deal is done. But they don't do that in America do they? Do players only move when their contracts are up or if Teams X and Y swap players? Or is there a transfer fee system in operation that we never hear about?
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Is that specifically for American Football or for Soccer?

Not that any of that would help me answer the question. But you don't hear them going on about grubby things like 'Transfer deadlines' in the US.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I know that players in the NFL get traded, but there's also a salary cap which means that the best players are tied in to long-term contracts which ensure their financial security. Also the NFL season is much shorter (September to January) so the franchises spend two thirds of the year building their team for the three or four months when they're actually playing.

There's also the issue of the size of the country- an English footballer can transfer between northern teams or from a northern club to a midlands one without having to move home. It's more of an undertaking to move from, say, Miami to Seattle.