Default Looking Back... Heart of the Haniad

We have a brand new webpage on-line!

As some of you might know, we have an ongoing project to gather together all the information, facts and resources for every story in its own, snazzy webpage. This includes all the downloadable resources required to make new copies of the CD's (including the original CD extras: trailers, documentaries and out-takes which have never been available on-line before), candid discussions about the making of the story (including new opinions from the people involved) and an archive of feedback posted on Planet Skaro in response to the story.

The latest article is for "Heart of the Haniad", the first story of Season 2:

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/audios/season2-haniad.htm

Please have a read and re-live this classic adventure. You could even re-download it and enjoy it again!

Please also post your thoughts here on this story from a 2010 perspective, or simply share your memories of making, or listening to it.

Si.

I remember enjoying this one, mainly for the wonderful relationship, right from the start between the Doctor and Ed. Paul and Martin have a wonderful chemistry that comes over really well right from the off. I like the way Paul's Doctor is calm and collected, and how much that really winds up the somewhat more cynical and angry Ed. Their performances really insprieds me when I was writing Heist! and it was delightful to carry their story on.
    I love the bit where the Doctor gets the best out of Ed by suggesting that Ed kills whatever it was. Great scene that one.

The Space Tree is a lovely idea too, and the sound effects from Si (and indeed the whole production) really add to the mystical aspects of the Chi-Haniad. Pip's gruff voice makes me smile, as I remember how much he coughed after recording it.

Nice relationship between David Barnes and P-Bal too. There's a nice contrast between the characters.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I really enjoyed producting this one - when I eventually got round to it, as I seem to remember it had to wait while I ploughed through "Magical History Tour" first. Oh, so long ago!

I didn't realise Steve was trying to push me on the sound effects front - I just soldiered on. I got my own back with my Nimon homage. I recall sitting in front of the mic making gurgling sounds which were then slowed down and used for the bit where the Chi-Haniad splits itself open. I don't think in hindsight that the romance aspect between Grexos and Uxan completely worked, but... hey, it's a great story with everything thrown in there. We had an absolute riot recording it with P-Bal, I seem to recall. Good times.

Si.

I liked this one too. I remember turning up at Si's and him telling me, "You've got a new companion!"

Paul and Martin have a wonderful chemistry that comes over really well right from the off.
    Thanks. One of things thats been a bit of a shame is that Martin and I haven't really done may audio recordings together.

You can do one in a few months time then!

Si.

Thanks. One of things thats been a bit of a shame is that Martin and I haven't really done may audio recordings together.
    Which perhaps makes it all the more remarkable, as in the ones where you didn't record together, you really wouldn't know the both you were there together. It works really well.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I thought we did really well with this one, considering we were only introduced about five minutes before recording started!

I confess to not really remembering a huge ammount about 'Heart of the Haniad', but it's once I try not to listen to, as I don't think my performance is very good. I don't think I really knew what I was doing in this one, and hadn't really decided how to play Ed, so he comes off as a bit all over the place really...but that seems to have been the intention, so it probably worked out for the best!

I remember Martin was a struggling student back then and it cost him a lot to come to the recording, so I went halves with him on his train fare (I thought this was only fair as he was doing us the favour of recording for us). Paul saw and cried "Is he getting PAID?!" which made me laugh! I had to re-assure him that the rest of the cast wern't sneakily getting paid, while Doctor Who was expected to work for free.

Si.

I'm still not completely convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I'm still not completely convinced.
    *hides commemorative Once Upon bling*

Nothing to see here. I work for my art only, you see...

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Hmmmm.... *eyes everyone suspiciously*

Hang on...

Nobody else gets paid?

Quiet you.

Si.

I'm trying to remember, did I see the script to this or was it sprung on me when I arrived at the recording?

It's extremely likely that it was sprung on you at the recording, because it was written the weekend before!

I'm still fond of Heart of The Haniad. It's got a fairly straightforward premise, a linear plot and few characters. It's not trying to be 'ultimate' in any way, just to get from A to B in a competent and entertaining way, which I think it achieves. There's a car chase that takes up most of part one, then part two is spent exploring the Haniad and resolving the plot-lines. There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

I think Martin is really good in it. I always forget that it's not his first time in a PS Audio, he turns up in Echoes of the Protii and Magical History Tour as well! There's a lot of energy and panic in the performance. Frankly, Ed Bradley is all there from the word 'Whaaat?' Obviously Martin has expanded on the character a bit since then, but I'm delighted that he's still essentially the same in 'Once Upon A Time Lord'.

And Pip was vocally fantastic in this one too. Even if it did shred his voice being the Chi-Haniad!

I always think that this one seems a little unpopular with the PS Audio listeners, whether that's through it's own faults or because it was outshone by some of the other stories around it I don't know. I was quite pleased with it in the end and it certainly lives up to P-Bal's assertion that it would be 'The next Timelash'!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I won't mention the £50 per line of dialogue that Si Hunt pays me...

...that's why I'm not in every play

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

he turns up in Echoes of the Protii and Magical History Tour
    And "Soap of Fatal Death" of course! Remember Roddy Stevens the Clear Waters script writer?

Si.

It was an early trademark of the audios to have a Doctor/Character played by Martin moment.
    I think Steve sums up Haniad really well. The story whilst being straightforward has quite an unusual idea at the centre of it. A tree in space! It was also the first two parter as well. Its made me want to give it another listen later.

I relistened to it not that long ago, so apologies if this post gives you a sense of deja vu: "I'd forgotten how 'different' it felt to the other stories to that date - not just the smaller episode count, but also the far smaller cast & scale to the plot. That's not a criticism, just an observation, but it definitely has a more 'intimate' feel - it also means that we get more time with the various characters, particularly new companion, the slightly-hysterical Edward Bradley!!!

The one thing that I wasn't totally sold on was the Doctor saving the day with his book of planets - one-liners about "My I-Spy book of spaceships" is one thing, but when suddenly it's something throwaway like that which saves the day then it doesn't quite work (for me). Maybe because it means you suddenly need to take it seriously - I suppose the best comparison would be, I don't object to the Himalayan business in Creature from the Pit, but if the plot was resolved by being able to communicate with Erato because he also speaks Himalayan, it would be just too daft. Does that make sense?

And, just like first time round, I found P-Bal & David's double act very entertaining, but also very moving - Grexos' matter-of-fact revelation of his love for Uxan especially."

The only other thing which occurs to me now is that, whether deliberately or not, this two-parter follows Moffat's guideline that a two-parter should 'change' at the cliffhanger point, not just pause the action and then carry on afterwards as if nothing has happened - so just as part 1 of his season 4 story is all about faffing about in an empty library, and part 2 is mainly about faffing about in an artificial reality; or just as part 1 of his 2010 finale is about a box under Stonehenge, and part 2 is about four people faffinf about in an empty museum at the end of existence... so Heart part 1 is focussed on the spaceship, and part 2 on the tree itself. Very good indeed!! (And I'm sure in a parallel universe, Ray Cusick would be pleased that he only needed to erect Ed's spaceship sets for the first studio session and the tree surface only for the second!!)

I won't mention the £50 per line of dialogue that Si Hunt pays me...
    I'm still living off the small fortune I got for a cameo in Magical History Tour.

Very warm on this yacht in Monte Carlo today by the way...

The one thing that I wasn't totally sold on was the Doctor saving the day with his book of planets - one-liners about "My I-Spy book of spaceships" is one thing, but when suddenly it's something throwaway like that which saves the day then it doesn't quite work (for me).
    Ah yes. I thought it would work OK because it was only part of the plot resolution - there was still that business with Grexos and Uxan to sort out. Also it's like the Doctor's using it to help, rather than being the whole of the answer, so he's saying 'Look there are other planets you could use' and then having the book to back him up. There was probably too much emphasis on it though and it made the Chi-Haniad look a little too comical.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!