Thread: Wikileaks

Default Wikileaks

They're coming... and I don't think the American Government is going to be pleased...

Apparently we can expect it all to hit the fan tomorrow as the Guardian will be printing whatever they can (unless the Government stops them in time) in the morning.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

In some respects Wikileaks is potentially a force for good, but in this case I'm deeply suspicious. It sounds like they're releasing information that will be damaging into a number of delicate situations.

Some of the stuff that the US government has been saying behind the scenes is pretty awful though. Childish in the worst possible way.

Various world leaders are covered by the documents - showing the diplomats' less than flattering views of them.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is referred to as "feckless, vain, and ineffective as a modern European leader" by a US diplomat in Rome.

In 2008, the Moscow embassy describes Russian President Dmitry Medvedev as playing "Robin to (Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's) Batman.

The cables also comment on the extremely close relationship between Mr Berlusconi and Mr Putin.

North Korea's Kim Jong-il is a "flabby old chap" suffering from trauma from a stroke, while Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is referred to as "Hitler".

South Africa's international relations and cooperation minister refers to President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe as "the crazy old man".
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wikileaks reminds me of that episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where someone - possibly Buffy herself - could suddenly hear everyone's thoughts at once. At first it was good - knowing what people were thinking and what they were really like - but soon she started hearing too much. Most private things should stay private. If Wikileaks acted in the best traditions of investigative journalism (albeit behind a cloak of anonymity that the internet can give) then it would be a force for good. Instead it digs around for anything anyone wants to keep private (not necessarily secret - private will do) and blurts it out without considering the consequences.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

The mind-reading analogy is a really good one - wasn't there an episode of Torchwood with a similar premise?

All of the revelations so far have been 'embarrasing' and 'pathetic' rather than earth-shattering. None of them really matter, they only make the diplomats and government officials involved seem a bit rude.

The Arab States are acting in their own selfish interests by asking the US to attack Iran. Apparently it would benefit them one of the powers in the middle-east came under military assault from the most powerful army in the world.

'Spying' on the UN diplomats is a bit iffy, but there's no revelations about bugging rooms, it seems to be more along the lines of rooting through dustbins.

As for the revelation about a member of the Royal Family behaving innappropriately, that's one I really couldn't care less about. What's the point in being a Royal if you can't have sex with whoever you want? That's why the Royal Family was invented in the first place!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    wasn't there an episode of Torchwood with a similar premise?
    Torchwood ripping off a Buffy premise? Never!

Today there's been a leak that Hilary Clinton ordered United Nations officials to be spied on. By the sounds of it, not the obvious "watch North Korea" but also some of the supposedly more friendly countries.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...o-spy-on-Clark
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Prior to this leak this was made out to be Earth shattering?
    Rather funny, but not as damaging as the first leak.
    Israel seems to have got off scot-free what with their fingerprints!
    Now we await the Channel 4 news and Have I Got News For You
    Comedies and political cartoons extra. Public trust is the first casualty
    Etc.

And this is deeper than finding out "what you are getting for Christmas"
    Never have so many seemed like guests on the Jeremy Kyle show!
    Do you think he'll be called in for an "International Special"? lol
    Remember the days when the powerful elite were held in high esteem?
    Evidentially they've a long way to go until they get back!
    Wonder who the Royal family member was that the press won't say?