Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by The Secretive Bus View Post
    At the beginning of series 2 I was happily saying how Tennant was one of the best Doctors ever (I was convinced I'd love him from his scene in Parting of the Ways) and how he was close to becoming my absolute favourite. I got caught up in the hype, really, and with retrospect I can see many of his faults. He's still pretty good but he's got a way to go to beat Hartnell, Tom, Eccles and Troughton.
    I can see your point there are moments like in School Reunion, when he is absoloutly brilliant and has nailed the part absoloutly spot on. Then you have The Idiots Lantern and the shouting and raving about "nothing on Earth will stop me" and you just feel that the angry shouting just dose not sit quite right with him.

Then you have The Idiots Lantern and the shouting and raving about "nothing on Earth will stop me"
    But how much of that is David's fault and how much is the script? Usually when I have a cringeworthy moment from either Eccleston or Tennant it is because of a line they were given is suspect, not because they made a perfectly sensible line cringeworthy.
    Last edited by Jeff; 28th Nov 2006 at 5:07 PM.

But how much of that is David's fault and how much is the script? Usually when I have a cringeworthy moment from either Eccleston or Tennant it is because of a line they were given is suspect, not because they made a perfectly sensible line cringeworthy.
    With the Idiot's Lantern it is certainly the delivery that is wrong. If he had managed to put some real menace into the delivery of that line, then it wouldn't have been cringeworthy at all. As it it, he sounds angry instead and it doesn't come across right.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    With the Idiot's Lantern it is certainly the delivery that is wrong. If he had managed to put some real menace into the delivery of that line, then it wouldn't have been cringeworthy at all. As it it, he sounds angry instead and it doesn't come across right.

I don't know that I agree. I thought the line was OTT just reading it in the post above.

To put it another way, if someone shouted that they were going to kill you and someone walked over to you and whispered that they were going to kill you, which would unnerve you more?

If the Doctor had muttered the line more, it would have sounded more believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    To put it another way, if someone shouted that they were going to kill you and someone walked over to you and whispered that they were going to kill you, which would unnerve you more?

If the Doctor had muttered the line more, it would have sounded more believable.
    I'd say some one whispering a threat sounds more unnerving than a person who's ranting and foaming at the mouth..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I'd say some one whispering a threat sounds more unnerving than a person who's ranting and foaming at the mouth..
    It is, trust me I know. I have had someone shout at me across the Jobcentre threatening to get me after work and someone lean across the desk and quietly threaten to rip off my head and urinate down my throat. The latter one scared me more.

Pip Madeley Guest

I hope you informed the police on both occasions!

It may sound more unnerving, but murder is a crime of passion. Logically, the person who is not in control of themself is more likely to actually kill you.

That's neither here nor there as regards the argument though. I understand that Paul didn't like the delivery, I'm just speaking for myself personally when I say I thought the line was a bit cheesy regardless of how it was delivered.
    Last edited by Jeff; 28th Nov 2006 at 7:51 PM.

I hope you informed the police on both occasions!
    Both had solicitors letters sent out to them and were given six months bans from entering the building. Standard department policy

transvamp Guest

I can't help but be glad that Tennant has gone down so well. Yet I must say he is too uneven in my view. His best moments are probably the ones where he isn't too slippy or trying so hard or over-acting and is being more sombre and approachable, such as Tooth & Claw, School Reunion and Fear Her.

As it is though my view is that there's only been one really good Doctor since Peter Davison and that is Christopher Eccleston.