Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default David Tennant: Best Doctor? Does he deserve it?

I was listening (and enjoying) to the Children in Need concert last weekend on BBC Wales, and there was an interview in the intermission with one Clayton Hickman, where he revelealed that David Tennant had won this years DWM Poll for Best Doctor! Oh yes, it seems Tennant's portrayal has won over most of fandom over the last year.

But do you agree with the outcome? Does he deserve the accolade? How do you think he stands up against his predecessors? Who is your favourite Doctor and why?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's not uncommon for the current Doctor to win the 'Best Doctor' poll, even when fandom doesn't seem that keen - I'm pretty certain that old Slyboots McCoy won it back in 1988, and maybe 1989 as well.

Personally I would still take Eccleston over Tennant, but my favourite is still Peter Davison, because he was 'my' Doctor as a kid.

Definitely not. Alas, his portayal of the Doctor is very mercurial. A shouty yob of a man, whose character seems to be different from week to week. Not necessarily a bad thing, though, and he's certainly growing on me. But Eccleston captured my attention from the off, and would thus win my vote.

To be honest, since DWM is turning into a worship mag I wouldn't be at all surprised if the result of that particular vote was fixed.
    I am out there... somewhere.

Certainly not, he's a great Doctor but it'll take more than he's given as yet to compete with the greats - Hartnell, Tom Baker etc. That said, I would be dissapointed if he didn't win it because as the current incumbant you'd expect him to. I'm slightly warmed by the fact that to a generation out there he is the "best" Doctor. It would be wrong if it were any other way.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Certainly not, he's a great Doctor but it'll take more than he's given as yet to compete with the greats - Hartnell, Tom Baker etc. That said, I would be dissapointed if he didn't win it because as the current incumbant you'd expect him to. I'm slightly warmed by the fact that to a generation out there he is the "best" Doctor. It would be wrong if it were any other way.

Si.
    It's all relative. Tom's still number 1 to me.

Yes he should be voted as such right now but in time when there is a new Doctor I would put him below Pat Troughton & Tom Baker personally.

I'd say he's my favourite of the last few, but I'm not sure where I'd put him exactly. Don't particularly mind him winning the DWM poll though, it's not especially surprising in a way, as there is a tradition of it.

Well Tennant's not the best, cause his name isn't Patrick Troughton Despite this, he still rates very highly for me.

However, I wonder how many of the DWM voters are solely New Series viewers, and thus only really have a choice between Eccleston and Tennant (and here the 'current Doctor' part would factor in)...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Wayne Guest

He's certainly capable of playing it in a way which i like; 'Rise of the Cybermen' proves that. But for the most part i don't like his portrayal much.
    Shame Eccleston bailed out so soon. He was brilliant. I've watched Series 1 about 6 times & i like it more each time. I've watched Series 2 twice, & the second time was hard work apart from 2 or 3 favourites.

Definitely not. Does DWM ever feature any other Doctors? I haven't bought it for a while.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    He's certainly capable of playing it in a way which i like; 'Rise of the Cybermen' proves that. But for the most part i don't like his portrayal much.
    Shame Eccleston bailed out so soon. He was brilliant. I've watched Series 1 about 6 times & i like it more each time. I've watched Series 2 twice, & the second time was hard work apart from 2 or 3 favourites.
    I think Ecclestone played the part well, but he annoyed me a lot. The whole "Survivor's Guilt" thing ended up really irritating me, I ended up wanting to smack him when he was all whiny in "Dalek" - "I could save the world but lose you...." (to Rose). Ugh!

I think David Tennant is better, partly I think because his Doctor seems to genuinely enjoy himself - isn't that what the Doctor is all about?
    Last edited by MinaHarker; 23rd Nov 2006 at 5:51 PM. Reason: ETA last sentence
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaT View Post

I think David Tennant is better, partly I think because his Doctor seems to genuinely enjoy himself - isn't that what the Doctor is all about?

For me Tennant's best overall portrayal was 'Rise of the Cybermen'. It was was the most comfortable i've felt with his Doctor so far because he played it pretty straight. Possibly even played it down, slightly. Whereas he's normally gotten on my nerves because usually so forced & OTT. Not natural at all, IMO. Both his humour & his anger don't work for me. I usually feel like i'm watching an actor, whereas with Eccleston i just feel like i'm watching the Doctor.
    Admittedly, i was still unsure of Eccleston for a couple of episodes, by the time 'The Unquiet Dead' aired, i fully accepted & liked him. I found his cheeky chappie humour & delivery far more palatable & guenuinely funny than Tennant's humour & delivery, & by the time 'Dalek' aired: Eccleston's Doc had risen to my Top 3, because he was so brilliant at that dark intensity & anger that it took him to a new level in my eyes.
    Different strokes i guess, But Tennant is the first person to dislodge McCoy from his position as my least favourite Doc. Something i thought would never happen!

Dave Lewis Guest

If the award traditionally goes to the actor currently playing the Doctor, surely John Barrowman should have won it...

Definately not I'd say, he's one of, if not my least favourite of the Doctors.

Tennant is the worst bloody Doctor since the last one!!

Correctamundo!!

He's the only Doctor who I wouldn't be absolutely horrified to find in my bed. I'd just be a bit annoyed.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I sort of agree with the result. MY Doctor as a kid was Tom Baker and he was always my favourite. I liked Chris but out of the two, i prefer David. I'm not yet 100% sure if he has replaced Tom as my overall favourite as yet or if I have just been taken in by the hype and the special effexts etc of the new series.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Best Doctor ever? No way! At least, not yet...yes, he certainly showed potential, but whereas Eccleston had it all sewn up inside 13 episodes, it feels at times that Tennant is still finding his feet after a similar number of episodes. He was just too inconsistant at times. A good Doctor, yes...but currently sitting around mid-table, out of 10 imo.

No , that would be for me

To save anyone else shelling out 8.99 for the Dreamwatch top 100 Sci-Fi Icons, I'd like to point out that while The Doctor was number 1 sci-fi character, it was Tom Baker who came in as number 6 Sci-Fi actor.
    Bazinga !

No comment

David Tennant is going to have a lot of support at the moment. He's the current Doctor and of course DWM seem overly prepared to milk the collective ****s of Dr Who production (cast and crew) at the moment.

The real test of the regard he is seen in will be in a few years time when he's no longer the Doctor. At that stage he may well drop, but I suspect not by much as to the new guard of Doctor Who fans, he and Eccleston will be there Doctor.

McGann is technically *my* Doctor - I only got a one-off!

as for David Tennant - I love him! I think he's a marvellous Doctor. Sure, his portrayal can be a bit OTT at times, but does no-one remember season 17 Tom? I'm looking forward to another season with him - maybe even two, if the rumours are correct!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

McGann is also Pip's Doctor, technically. But I'm not sure he sees it that way.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    Sure, his portrayal can be a bit OTT at times, but does no-one remember season 17 Tom?

Ant x
    Unfotunately, yes.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    McGann is also Pip's Doctor, technically. But I'm not sure he sees it that way.
    McGann's performance was what got me into Who, he was excellent. Shame he didn't get a second chance on television. But my favourite Doctors are Patrick and Tommy, without a doubt.