Default BBC labelling HIV/AIDS as a 'hidden disability'

I switched on to BBC News 24 this morning to a report on hidden disabilities. The main focus was on bipolar disorder, but by the end of the report, HIV/AIDS, Cancer, Parkinson's and Autism as other 'disabilities that are hard to see with the naked eye.'

Knowing quite a few people with HIV/AIDS, and I've never heard it referred to as a disability before. I'd even question cancer's position on the list.

I'm actually a bit annoyed about this, as I think it's inaccurate, both for PWA and those with disabilities.

I can't find a link at the moment- but what do you think?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

That's terrible- Cancer and AIDS are illnesses, horrible, nasty ones at that, but they're not disabilities. People who have them don't automatically become disabled- some of their symptoms may ultimately cause a disability (in some cases) but to label people with them as disabled is really wrong.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    That's terrible- Cancer and AIDS are illnesses, horrible, nasty ones at that, but they're not disabilities. People who have them don't automatically become disabled- some of their symptoms may ultimately cause a disability (in some cases) but to label people with them as disabled is really wrong.

Si xx
    I think this is what bothered me as well- I just couldn't find a way to articulate it without sounding like I was demeaning the disabled, PWA, or both!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

It's very difficult to do without sounding either patronising or pompous. I struggled!

Si xx

In other news, everyone's favourite celebrity, Katie Price, appears to be using accusations of HIV as a slur.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

You know, I never liked Peter Andre. He's a bit of a laughing stock back home. However, after their divorce, it only took a quick comparison of their conduct to ascertain that, dubious singing 'talent' aside, he's certainly a better human being than his ex-wife by miles.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

However, after their divorce, it only took a quick comparison of their conduct to ascertain that, dubious singing 'talent' aside, he's certainly a better human being than his ex-wife by miles.
    Admittedly, that's not too difficult...

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    You know, I never liked Peter Andre. He's a bit of a laughing stock back home. However, after their divorce, it only took a quick comparison of their conduct to ascertain that, dubious singing 'talent' aside, he's certainly a better human being than his ex-wife by miles.
    Frankly, I think all that these two news stories today show is that HIV/AIDS is deeply misunderstood.

With regards to the "disability" thing - does having HIV on its own prevent any member of society from living a normal life? I would say that it doesn't. The only people I've ever met with HIV hold down normal jobs, have steady relationships with partners, friends AND family and are able to do anything that I am able to do (and that includes having sex - they HAVE to take precautions, and I think anyone who's having casual sex who doesn't have an STI of any variety is playing with fire if they're not taking precautions)

With regards to Katie Price - she's continuing to show what a vile person she is. She clearly subscribes to that school of thought that anyone with HIV should be outcast from society. It's not right, and it's not what the majority of educated people in this country believe anymore. Disgusting.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I know when I was teaching at a school in Sheffield in 1992 there was a Christmas school disco, and a student teacher had to sit with a boy who wasn't allowed into the disco with the other kids. He was HIV positive, and basically the school thought it "too dangerous" for him to mix with other kids in such a circumstances to "protect the other kids".

To be honest it really shook up the student teacher (I travelled back home with him) as to the way that boy was treated like a kind of leper.

On my own hobby horse, I'm not too keen about the bipolar talk either. Although it's better they call us "disabled" than their usual "looney psychos".
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......