Default S24 Contemporary Sci-Fi

Well I know that S24 came off the back off the first (and was to turn out to be the only) series of Star Cops - one of the BBC's attempts to do "hard science fiction".

Supposedly creator Chris Boucher had tried to mix a police drama with a sci-fi one. Only as he puts it "sci-fi fans hated the police aspect, and police fans hated the sci-fi".

Sci-fi films which came out this year include:

• Angel Heart: Bob DeNiro devours eggs
    • Cherry 2000: A man has to brave a post-appocalyptic wilderness to get a part for his sex-bot (I kid you not).
    • Eat The Rich: Comic Strip satire.
    • Evil Dead II: Bruce Campbell has a hand in this movie
    • Hellraiser: The guy who tried accupuncture for his headache
    • Harry and the Hendersons: A family finds Bigfoot
    • The Hidden: Claudia Christian plays an alien stripper. Who's probably only doing it to pay her way through med-school.
    • Innerspace: Kind of a less-Fantastic Voyage
    • The Lost Boys: Ah the forgotten age when vampires were just evil killers.
    • Masters of the Universe: Dolph Lungren has the power. Courtney Cox probably wants to tip-ex this one from her CV
    • Near Dark: More evil vampire shennaningans. By Mrs James Cameron.
    • Predator: If it bleeds they can kill it.
    • Project X: The one about flying monkeys.
    • Robocop: They can rebuild him.
    • The Running Man: Yeah I'm surprised this hasn't made the leap into reality TV. "This season on Channel 4 watch us kill a pedophile live on air!"
    • Spaceballs The Movie: Erm yeah. Probably the last *good* Mel Brooks comedy.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

For me it was the year I discovered The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galxy, when the BBc repeated the show for the first time in a few years and I ended up reading most of the novels during the year.

I really liked Innerspace, though I haven't seen it for a few years now, but I remember enjoying it immensely at the time.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

1987 was also the year when Patrick Stewart & co made their debuts as new Star Trek returned to tv for the first time since the sixties, in the form of The Next Generation.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    1987 was also the year when Patrick Stewart & co made their debuts as new Star Trek returned to tv for the first time since the sixties, in the form of The Next Generation.
    Did that go well for them?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I saw Encounter at Farpoint on video in early 1988 (they did a rental release of it I believe) and thought it was dreadful. It wasn't until the BBC showed the series in 1990 that I eventually warmed to it.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

OMG - I forgot of course the classic "The Princess Bride" which is a fantastic film!