Default Stephen Baxter writing a Doctor Who novel!

Sci fi author, Stephen Baxter is writing a Doctor Who novel next year, the most recent SFX Doctor Who special reveals.

Apparently it's a Second Doctor story.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Hah! He's always 'doing' something or other. Remember when he was going to write a Big Finish? Plus he's got a series of his own he's been working on.

I'll look forward to it if it does show up though!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Sci fi author, Stephen Baxter is writing a Doctor Who novel next year, the most recent SFX Doctor Who special reveals.

Si xx
    Is the SFX thing worth getting , Si ? I eyed it up in Sainsbury's this morning, but at £7.99 it would need to be pretty special to be better than a reduced DVD.
    Bazinga !

Is Stephen Baxter any good? I'm especially cautious since Michael Moorcock's supposed to be good, and Stephen's supposed to be 'doing' a trilogy with Terry Pratchett about now as well, which doesn't sound like it's the best and most original idea in the world to me.

Aside from a nice article on home-made Doctor Who memorabilia, there's nothing much exciting in the SFX special.

Stephen Baxter is a great sci-fi novelist with some fantastic big ideas. His characterisation is often a little sidelined, but the joy of Baxter are the concepts. He recently did a very good thriller about the whole world being slowly flooded (in the book Flood, well worth a read). He's done historical novels too and a series of books about a tribe of woolly mammoths (!) but his most groundbreaking work was his early sci-fi books such as 'Time' and 'Space'. My favourite of his novels was something else again, a book called 'Titan' which imagined how the first space mission to Mars would pan out if it was carried out in the next few decades. A very passionate and fascinating read.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

He's one of those authors I've heard generalisations said, and alas, there aren't enough hours in the day to read everyone. I think the only other project I'd heard him connected with was a sequel to The Time Machine.