Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Dreamland (new animated series begins 21st Nov)

This little nugget of information turned up on the RT forum this morning. Could it be true? I don't know.

HE'S travelled through space and time, and now Doctor Who is going into a different dimension - as a 2D cartoon hero.

Pleased with the ongoing success of the sci-fi hit, the Beeb has gone and made an animated version of the show.

Called Infinite Quest, it is one continuous story to be shown in 13 instalments alongside the next series during BBC3's Totally Doctor Who.

David Tennant and Freema Agyeman will voice their characters, and the lovely Anthony Head will pop up in a brand new role (ie not Mr Finch the Krillatane from series two, Who fans).

Writer Russell T Davies tells us: "The Doctor and his assistant Martha follow a trail of clues across wild and wonderful alien worlds, to find the location of the legendary lost spaceship, the Infinite." Bring it on!
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As long as they keep it as a short, and don't try and trump it up and "dilute" the franchise, it's fine by me.

Hey, it's another thing they can leave off the next DVD box set!

Si.

I wonder if its going to be the same style of animation as the comic strip in Doctor Who Adventures?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Called Infinite Quest, it is one continuous story to be shown in 13 instalments alongside the next series during BBC3's Totally Doctor Who.
    I think they mean BBC 1......

I suppose it's a better way of spending the budget than the Tardisodes.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The BBC website has confirmed it!

Doctor Who and Martha are about to step into a new dimension - a cartoon one.

David Tennant and Freema Agyeman will star in The Infinite Quest, a 13-part animated adventure that will run weekly in the second series of Totally Doctor Who.

"The Doctor And Martha follow a trail of clues across wild and wonderful alien worlds, to find the location of the legendary lost spaceship, the Infinite," revealed Russell T Davies.

Anthony Head, who played evil headmaster Mr Finch in last season's School Reunion, will guest star as a a new character, Baltazar - Scourge of the Galaxy.

Freema in particular was thrilled to be taking Doctor Who into a whole new world of possibilities.

"I didn't think my Doctor Who experience could get any more thrilling but I was absolutely blown away when they approached me about the new animation series!

"The prospect of becoming a cartoon character was both exciting and also a bit nerve-wracking as it was the first time I have been asked to do voice-over work," she said.

"But I needn't have worried - my first session involved being in a small recording room with David, Anthony Head and Toby Longworth - and all of us falling about with laughter as we tried to match our words to the movements of the cartoon characters! It was such a fun experience and now I can't wait to see how it all looks!"

The Infinite Quest is written by Alan Barnes and directed by Gary Russell. The spectacular animation will be crafted by Firestep, the creative team behind previous Doctor Who animated adventures for the BBC. Thanks to developments in animation and computer technology, expect some amazing advances on previous animations.
    Good stuff, I hope!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's odd that they did the animation first, I thought usually it worked the other way round. What other Doctor Who animations have Firestep done? I thought Cosgrove Hall did Shalka and I can't think of any more.

I would imagine these will be, what, 5 minute episodes if it's part of Totally?

Si.

Why does the Doctor look like a chinese woman?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    What other Doctor Who animations have Firestep done? I thought Cosgrove Hall did Shalka and I can't think of any more.
    I couldn't either, but giving it more thought I'd say that they probably did the animated opening credits for Totally Doctor Who!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Shada, Real Time, Death Comes To Time-who did them?

Pip Madeley Guest

They were very limited Flash animations, Andrew (by comic strip artist Lee Sullivan).
    More like slideshows than animations.

Click for a full-size pic of the image above.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    They were very limited Flash animations, Andrew (by comic strip artist Lee Sullivan).
    More like slideshows than animations.

Click for a full-size pic of the image above.
    Shada was Lee Sullivan as well? And i suspect that the main reason they were slideshow like was because so few people had broadband back in those dark days of old!

And i suspect that the main reason they were slideshow like was because so few people had broadband back in those dark days of old!
    I quite agree - the Flash stuff on the BBC site now includes full motion videos.

The David Tennant looks a lot like Shalka's Richard E Grant, only David appears to actually have blood pumping through his veins, rather than chalk.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raston View Post
    i suspect that the main reason they were slideshow like was because so few people had broadband back in those dark days of old!
    Well that's obvious.

i shall look forward to it with interest..

I won't be watching it as Liza Tarbuck is one of the voice artists. She mentioned it on today's Jonathan Ross Show on Radio 2. Her dad would've been much better.

Considering that nearly everyone on who produces the new series worked on 'Linda Green', I'm surprised she hasn't been cast in 'Doctor Who' already!

I wonder if Companion Academy winner Louise will appear?
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 3rd Feb 2007 at 2:48 PM.

Award-nominated actress Sue Cleaver should be in it.

Si.

Sue Cleaver, see her beaver.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

She's a very good singer, that one.

And popcorn.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

And wotnot.

And there's a soundbite for ya.

Pip Madeley Guest

Put THAT in your leader, Mr Tobias.

A heated debate, surely!

I'll certainly be tooning in to this. On paper, this series should be a real draw. It'll certainly get the fans animated! I can't ink of a reason not to pencil it in to my schedule. I hope it doesn't sink without a trace(ing paper).

Amusing or not? Draw your own conclusions!