Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Hi Junkyard! Glad you enjoyed Heart of The Haniad. I was responsible for penning this one. I have read some Larry Niven (He's the Ringworld guy isn't he?) but not the one you mention. I may have to track it down.

Ed Bradley is a real star - we love him!
    Rainbow Mars may be a little difficult find; I got my copy on e-bay. I don't want to give the plot away but it involves time travel and a really BIG plant. Oh, and Mars!

Moving on, I've just finished listening to Heist!. Basicly, it's Doctor Who does Hustle, but a fun listen nonetheless. I knew Jan was a wrong 'un from the first few minutes but the big surprise was Ed! There's more to Mr Bradley than meets the eye or the ear.
    Next I'm going back to Echoes of the Protii and Soap of Fatal death just to complete the back story.

Glad you liked Heist! It's probably my fabourite of all the ones I've written (and was indeed designed as a Doctor Who does Hustle story!)

We're hoping to get the rest of our stories up soon, so keep watching the website.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Yay! I'm finally up to The Kalrexi Mutation and I need need NEED to hear it.

NEEEEEEEEEED!

Incidentally, young Mr McCow is the most sinister person ever in The Wealth of Craytians.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

You haven't heard Kalrexi's Dr Thraxton yet... obviously

Si xx

Indeed. Never has "I just rustle up some more..." sounded quite so ominous.

That was a line you couldn't underplay.

Si xx

Although, if it rustles, the end result is the least of your problems.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I’ve listened to Echoes of the Protii and Soap of Fatal Death this week and enjoyed both of them. In Echoes, I particularly liked the Hatshop scene and both the scenes with Beryl. All these reminded me of Spike Milligan, Marty Feldman, Monty Python, The League of Gentlemen and Red Dwarf. The Protii were good monsters as well.
    Soap reminded me of The Serial Murders, a novella by Kim Newman which is also set around a soap opera and a tv studio. The aliens are kept mysterious and the scenes leading up to the explosion of the TARDIS are well paced. The whole cast seem able to switch from comedy to drama and back again quite easily.
    Next, I’m going to listen to The Paradise Machine and the rest of Series Two.

Hurrah! I'm so glad you like these two. They are our first two, so we were very much "learning", plus they were adapted from novellas so wern't written straight as scripts, unlike the rest. I'm absolutely thrilled to hear them compared to Spike Milligan, Monty Python and Red Dwarf!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm absolutely thrilled to hear them compared to Spike Milligan, Monty Python and Red Dwarf!

Si.
    The influence from those writers was obvious. In fact, I seem to recall that the name Harold H. Harold came from Marvel Comics, so there's another influence! The actor voicing that character in Echoes did sound a little like Marty Feldman and that scene was very like his style.

I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of Series 2.

Hmmm. I was hoping you meant it was as good as Monty Python etc. not just that we'd plaguirised it! Never mind!

Incidentally, I'm sure that we made up the name Harold H. Harold. I've never heard of it from Marvel Comics, which I don't read, so I've got a feeling that one was a coincidence!

I've wantenly pinched loads of stuff from Red Dwarf down the years though!

Si.

We definitely didn't pinch Harold H Harold from anywhere, not consciously anyway. I'm not a comics reader either, so we're blameless there. I don't like Monty Python much either!

Anyway, I'm pelased you enjoyed them. There's a lovely enregy about those first ones, even though we were finding our feet that gets us through them. Possibly it's all the laughing between and during takes that did it!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Possibly it's all the laughing between and during takes that did it!

Si xx
    I didn't notice any laughter during the playback. Well done to whoever edited the recording!

I remember spending an awful lot of time trying to work out what my Doctor sounded like. In Echoes he's a bit posh sometimes and other times isn't. Apparently though my Doctor actually sounds just like me!
    I listened to Echoes a short while back thinking I was going to spend the whole time cringing but it was pretty good.

I loved Echoes on my first listen, having heard misgivings from Sis Hunt and Hart about it. Having heard THT and Christmas Gnomes first, I thought it was the most traditionally 'Old School' Doctor Who story of the first season. As I've heard almost everything now, I'd say it's the most traditional out of the whole range.

It's a thumping good story, though, and the Doctor's trip to the hat shop provides a welcome bit of surrealism.

And it's got Vera. Well, well, well...

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

One of the (many, many) things I like about the plays we've done is that they don't feel exactly like the new series or the old; they're somewhere in between with an extra dose of camp fun.

But for all it's silliness, Echoes of The Protii has a strong sci-fi idea behind it! The Protii are great villains though, kind of like a New Adventures entity but not so pompous.

The idea behind the plays that I've written was to try to produce Doctor Who Extreme - stories they couldn't possibly do in any official format either because the ideas were too daft or too weird. The main thing is to have fun!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I remember spending an awful lot of time trying to work out what my Doctor sounded like. In Echoes he's a bit posh sometimes and other times isn't. Apparently though my Doctor actually sounds just like me!
    Or is it that you sound like the Doctor?
    Last edited by Junkyard; 21st Mar 2011 at 11:45 PM.

I've just finished listening to The Paradise Machine (both 2-part and 4-part versions). I prefer the 4-part version; the extra dialogue rounds out the story. However, a section of Episode 4 was replaced with a section from Episode 1. Some re-editing required perhaps?
    Other than this slight glitch it was very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the Doctor encoutering Tor Garane again.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard View Post
    I've just finished listening to The Paradise Machine (both 2-part and 4-part versions). I prefer the 4-part version; the extra dialogue rounds out the story. However, a section of Episode 4 was replaced with a section from Episode 1. Some re-editing required perhaps?
    Other than this slight glitch it was very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the Doctor encoutering Tor Garane again.
    Hmm, I know it's not like that on the CD version...perhaps the wrong file has gone up on the site?

Glad you enjoyed it though Junkyard, it's a fun little story, and Tor Garane shall return next season!

I listened to The Curse of Ratanapura this week . The plot was simple, straightforward murder mystery, but this then allowed some character development for the three principals. Then there was the little gem of an extra; Tea with the Trods! As I read the name, the memories flooded back from the Sixties! For a brief surreal instant, I had a mental image of a Trod four-piece rock band playing ‘Wild Thing’ (no, that was the Troggs, idiot!). Now for Eye of the Daleks.

I've now worked my way through Series 1, 2 and 3 of the Planet Skaro audios. Rather than give a long spiel on my opinions, I've just given simple ratings out of 10 for each one.

Echoes of the Protii 7/10
    Soap of Fatal Death 7/10
    Keepsake 6/10
    Magical History Tour/Consequences 7/10
    The Christmas Gnomes 6/10
    Heart of the Haniad 7/10
    Heist! 8/10
    The Paradise Machine (2-part) 7/10
    The Paradise Machine (4-part) 8/10
    The Curse of Ratanapura 6/10
    Eye of the Daleks 8/10
    Enjoy Your Shoes 9/10
    Many Happy Returns 5/10
    Christmas Spirits 8/10
    A Baron for All Seasons 6/10
    Blood Money 8/10
    The Hand of Peace 7/10
    The Wealth of Kraytians 10/10
    The Kalrexi Mutation 7/10

As you can see, I've enjoyed most of them and The Wealth of Kraytians is the best amateur DW audio I've ever heard.

Wow! I'm so glad that you enjoyed them!

It's understandable that Many Happy Returns gets the lowest score. After all, it was made for Si Hunt's birthday specifically.

Fascinating - it's always really interesting to hear what someone sort of 'outside' of making these plays thinks!

I might be blushing slightly. I'm glad you enjoyed "Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Space Ships that Wouldn't".
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    I might be blushing slightly. I'm glad you enjoyed "Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Space Ships that Wouldn't".
    I knew I was going to enjoy it from the moment the Doctor and Ed arrived on the Shoon ship. The computer voice and the music in the elevator started me chuckling. The two ship captains were priceless (I know a guy at work who talks like the Shoon captain!).