Default New Years Honours 2010

Looks like a fairly quiet one - arise Lennox, Sheila Hancock and Bert Kwouk.

Ex-Eurythmics singer Annie Lennox is among the stars recognised with a New Year Honour - appointed an OBE for work fighting Aids and poverty in Africa.

Actors Sheila Hancock and David Suchet become CBEs, while stage star Harriet Walter is appointed a dame.

Football's World Cup Final referee Howard Webb and US Open golf champion Graeme McDowell become MBEs.

In broadcasting, former ITN foreign correspondent Sandy Gall, 83, is made a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George for his decades of charity work supporting disabled Afghans.

John Lloyd, 59, producer of Not The Nine O'Clock News, Spitting Image, Blackadder and QI, becomes a CBE while rugby league commentator Ray French is appointed an MBE.

Artist Steve McQueen and record producer Trevor Horn are made CBEs.

In a reference to the costume worn in the video to his former band's single Video Killed The Radio Star, Horn joked he would "put my Buggles glasses on" for the investiture.

Other entertainment figures to be honoured include National Ambassador for Singing, Howard Goodall, former Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer, who become CBEs, and director of the acclaimed film Fish Tank, Andrea Arnold, who is appointed an OBE.

Bert Kwouk, 80, is named an OBE. He is best known as martial arts expert Cato from the Pink Panther movies but more recently starred in Last of the Summer Wine and Channel 4 comedy betting show Banzai!

McDowell, a key member of Europe's Ryder Cup winning team, said his appointment to MBE was a "huge honour".

"For my achievements as a professional golfer to be recognised in this way is truly special," he said.
    A load of ordinary people got one too.

Meanwhile, the Queen Mother's biographer William Shawcross is appointed Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.
    Nepotism! But they must be hoping he doesn't live much longer - Commander of the Royal Victorian Order eh? How do you top that? Next time they'll probably make him Lord Commander Of The Whole World.

Si.

still no knighthood for Bruce Forsyth..

Or Tom Baker.

Actually David Tennant's the sort to mysteriously get a CBE, or perhaps, though he's young, Daniel Radcliffe could get something. Services To Harry Potter.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Next time they'll probably make him Lord Commander Of The Whole World.
    S'not fair! Do you know how long it took me to blag that title?!

what I find so curious about Bruce Forsyth, is how people like Des O'connor, can get knighted while Bruce, is constantly overlooked.

I seem to have been overlooked yet again. Outrageous, especially since there are two vacant positions within the Order of the Garter!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Nepotism! But they must be hoping he doesn't live much longer - Commander of the Royal Victorian Order eh? How do you top that? Next time they'll probably make him Lord Commander Of The Whole World.
    Well, CVO is relatively mid-way in terms of positioning within the Royal Victorian Order. He doesn't get to call himself "sir" out of it, and he could go up to being a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order, or a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order. Or, alternatively, move up to a higher order of Chivalry, such as the Order of St Michael and St George or the Order of the Bath, or be made a Peer of the Realm

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I'd love to be Knight Commander. Or, better still, know a Knight Commander, so I can pretend to be Morgaine from "Battlefield". "KNIGHT COMMANDER!"

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    what I find so curious about Bruce Forsyth, is how people like Des O'connor, can get knighted
    It's about time Des got knighted, Ern!