Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

They wouldn't just have to be colourised, they'd also have to be in HD. Non-starter, I'm afraid.

Surely letting technicial details about picture formats limit your creativity is slightly... narrow minded.

There's no way the entire story would be set within the footage of older stories. If you look at that Star Trek episode I keep talking about the actual footage from the old episode probably only makes up 5-10% of the screen time. It just seems a bit sad to say "Oh it would be really fun to go back and celebrate the entire history of the show and actually have it up there on screen. Loads of the viewing public would like to see the old stars again and maybe have some memories evoked. And I think, given the fact that it's the 50th anniversary and the fact of the sheer awesomeness of the idea, I think the viewing public would also forgive a bit of grainy or slightly blurry footage. But no... it has to be in HD so we'll just have to get Paul McGann to dig his wig out and sod anything before that."

How did Star Trek get around the issue of the old series being shot on different film stock to the new series?

I think they just made the whole episode look like the old series. At least the parts set in the past. It all looked quite nostalgic really and I don't remember a single screaming complaint about the lack of modern picture quality

There wasn't a better picture to be had then. There wasn't any HD TV when that Star Trek episode was made.

No but there's a very obvious difference between them. You can instantly tell a 60s film series when you see it.

Sod HD. Lets go with Zbigniev's idea! It would be brilliant and I'm sure those tv boffins could do it anyway! And it would all fit with Moffat's Timey Wimey style!

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Loads of the viewing public would like to see the old stars again and maybe have some memories evoked.
    And I'm sure there'll be a major documentary - or even a series of documentaries - performing this function for them.

But I really, really can't see the producers of Doctor Who attempting to marry 405- and 625-line footage within a modern HD episode.

Well I can't see anyone sensible NOT doing that if that is the only obstacle. If thye just don't like the idea, that's another matter...

I don't recall any details, but I remember watching & enjoying the Trials & Tribbleations episode at the time - there wasn't any obvious 'join' if you know what I mean (and I think the very 60s fashions were explain in some kind of dialogue about "loving the retro look" or somesuch). FWIW I don't think Who will do something similar, but it could be a lot of fun if they did - just imagine the thrill of Matt's Doctor having to hide behind some old rubbish to make sure Ian and Barbara don't see him when they enter the junkyard....

I don't think anyone can see anything in that scene anyway. Even before Ian drops the torch.

If it was only from behind, they could re-film it with new actors. In fact, they could probably find pretty convincing actors to pretend to be Ian, Barbara, Susan and the Doctor. If you get the hair and clothes spot on, then it can be reasonably easy to do.

Jon Culshaw as the fourth Doctor, anyone?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Now McGann is actively touting for business!

"Being Doctor Who, there's always anniversaries looming large - celebration programmes and episodes," he said. "I'm often asked, 'If they get the five Doctors together, would you do it?' and of course, I'd do it. They've just got to ring me up!"

McGann added that he is "still in the Doctor Who loop".

"Although I was [in] Doctor Who for six weeks, sixteen years ago, it never goes away - it only ever seems to get stronger," he suggested.

"I'd love to do that again, but that's not up to me."

The sci-fi drama's current star Matt Smith previously admitted that he would like to appear opposite McGann.

"Paul McGann is a great actor, man, and a great Doctor," he said. "I say bring back Chris [Eccleston] and Dave [Tennant], too!

"How many Doctors can we get into one story? Imagine if there were five or six of us in one ep and we could all just look at each other and judge each other."

Doctor Who will return for a seventh series in the autumn on BBC One. McGann's Sky Atlantic documentary The Petrol Age launches tonight at 8pm.

We may even get some pictures of him in his new Doctor's outfit that was unveiled in New Zealand last year to grace the covers of Big Finish rather than continually rehashing the TVM publicity ones.

well I've said it before and I'll say it again if we get a multi Doctor special then Paul Mcgann, is rhe only previous Doctor I want in it and if it happens I hope he gets more than just one 45 minute episode.

It would be nice to see him come back to life before our eyes. Again.

EIGHT: Oh, hello! You must be my friends! I'm the Doctor and you are-
    ELEVEN: Amy and Rory.
    EIGHT: Amy, Rory. Good names! I like names that end in 'Y', don't you? I also like these shoes, they-
    ELEVEN: Yes! We know the shoes fit perfectly! That's the fifth pair you've stolen from Brian!
    EIGHT: Sixth, surely?
    ELEVEN: Fifth. Those ones that didn't fit too well? Brian's boyfriend.
    EIGHT: Ah. Lucky escape for Grace.
    AMY: Not Grace-y?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Say goodnight, Grace-y...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    It was too.

I saw a thread over on another forum that pointed out that next year is also the Daleks 50th birthday so I think I'm starting to get the feeling that the anniversary special is going to feature the Daleks.

This is Doctor Who. The anniversary should feature the Daleks whether it's also their anniversary or not!

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    This is Doctor Who. The anniversary should feature the Daleks whether it's also their anniversary or not!

very true but not everybody may want another Dalek story for the main special - I certainly think if we got a multi-Doctor special including the Daleks it might just be over doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    very true but not everybody may want another Dalek story for the main special - I certainly think if we got a multi-Doctor special including the Daleks it might just be over doing things.
    It needn't be the anniversary episode itself, as long as there's some sort of representation during the wider anniversary. Mind you, there needs to be some kind of villain for the anniversary episode, and who better...?

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    It needn't be the anniversary episode itself, as long as there's some sort of representation during the wider anniversary. Mind you, there needs to be some kind of villain for the anniversary episode, and who better...?

well lets just hope the Daleks don't end up in a pointless 5 minute cameo like they did in the Five Doctors..