Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I don't know. I'd rather not have a full Dalek story for the anniversary. A cameo would be nice.

Frankly, I long for times like the Tom Baker era, where we didn't have a single Dalek story for five years!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well lets just hope the Daleks don't end up in a pointless 5 minute cameo like they did in the Five Doctors..
    Eric Saward's fault, the man with the Cyber-fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    I don't know. I'd rather not have a full Dalek story for the anniversary. A cameo would be nice.

Frankly, I long for times like the Tom Baker era, where we didn't have a single Dalek story for five years!
    There were 25 stories between Genesis and Destiny of the Daleks. Since Victory of the Daleks there have been 20 (admittedly two featuring Dalek cameos, but nevertheless still not Dalek-centric stories). Okay, so that's five short, but it's not like we're being ambushed by Daleks every five stories as we were in the mid-sixties and mid-seventies, when the series was previously at the height of its popularity ... we don't really have a lot of room to complain!

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    There were 25 stories between Genesis and Destiny of the Daleks. Since Victory of the Daleks there have been 20 (admittedly two featuring Dalek cameos, but nevertheless still not Dalek-centric stories). Okay, so that's five short, but it's not like we're being ambushed by Daleks every five stories as we were in the mid-sixties and mid-seventies, when the series was previously at the height of its popularity ... we don't really have a lot of room to complain!
    This is true, but it feels like we see the Daleks too often since the show came back in 2005, to me it does anyway.
    It may be simply because the stories were stretched out over more weeks in the classic series (meaning that 25 stories took a longer time to be broadcast); we certainly didn't use to get the Daleks nearly every year like we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    This is true, but it feels like we see the Daleks too often since the show came back in 2005, to me it does anyway.
    It may be simply because the stories were stretched out over more weeks in the classic series (meaning that 25 stories took a longer time to be broadcast); we certainly didn't use to get the Daleks nearly every year like we do now.
    This is exactly how I feel!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

You old miseries! Give us the Daleks!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    You old miseries! Give us the Daleks!
    As great as this years season opener with every colour version of Dakek seen I reckon it would of been much nicer to of left it for the anniversary season. of course we could now have an episode with every design of Cyberman in it..

It's been 50 years. Perhaps it's about time the Doctor got a proper girlfriend. You know, someone who won't run off with his body duplicate into a parallel Universe, or shoot him while wearing a spacesuit on holiday in Utah.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

For the 50th Anniversary I will be satisfied with no less than

- A series of 1 hour specials, comprising Baker, Davison, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston and Tennant episodes and then a big one with all of them in
    - A missing story returned to the archives
    - An animated Macra Terror
    - Shada, animated on DVD with a soundtrack of all the original living cast
    - A Tom and Lalla Big Finish
    - The announcement that the target re-issue programme will speed up and cover all the books, including new novels of post 2005 TV episodes
    - A Companions action figure set featuring a companion team for each of the Doctors including Ian/Barbara/Susan and India Fisher
    - A talking book of The Pirate Planet

Thanks,

Si.

Speaking of action figure sets (and I know this isn't the toys thread, but you did mention action figure sets and so here we are), do we think the oft-rumoured multi-Dalek set (to match the eleven Doctors set that Character Options issued) might actually turn up now that the series itself is doing "every Dalek ever"?

multi-Dalek set
    Yes please!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

.......now that the series itself is doing "every Dalek ever"?
    I don't know what that means and if it is something that is due to happen in the next season then I'm happy to remain ignorant of it until its actually on the TV.
    That's not a moan or a dig by the way; I'm just saying that I don't know what you are referring to; it may be that some other posters may also not know what it means - it's either that or I've had my head in the sand for too long again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    I don't know what that means and if it is something that is due to happen in the next season then I'm happy to remain ignorant of it until its actually on the TV.
    That's not a moan or a dig by the way; I'm just saying that I don't know what you are referring to; it may be that some other posters may also not know what it means - it's either that or I've had my head in the sand for too long again!
    Apologies! However, it is on the front of DWM so I did think it was probably fair game...

Apologies! However, it is on the front of DWM so I did think it was probably fair game...
    Ok, no problem - I never see DWM these days so I would have missed it there however no doubt some tabloid would have given the game away at some point anyway!

Like I said I before I'm not upset or anything I just didn't know what you were on about!

I've reached that age...

If Bill, Pat and Jon were alive today, do you think they'd approve of the new series?
    Bill Hartnell probably wouldn't approve of Captain Jack or the sexual nature of the new series. He very much wanted it to be an innocent and dainty series.

Hartnell was very much 'of his time' in some ways.

I don't think the new series is overtly sexual though. It's certainly romantic and allows people to have relationships, but it's only brought to the fore very occasionally.

I reckon Jon Pertwee would be very disappointed that he wasn't still playing the Doctor.

I think William Hartnell would be absolutely chuffed to see how popular the series he started still is almost fifty years on, though! And I'm sure both Troughton and Pertwee would agree - and both be determined to play a part in the 50th celebrations, too.

Pertwee would already be in his costume (as by this point he'd be wearing it every day as his normal clothes) so would be delighted to partake, as long as everyone knew it wasn't as good as it was in his day. Hartnell would hate the new series because it's too fast and too gay and they let gay people work on it apparently and anyway, by this point he'd be the oldest man who ever lived so he'd be more interested in promoting his page in The Guiness Book of Records.

Si.

Pertwee would already be in his costume (as by this point he'd be wearing it every day as his normal clothes) so would be delighted to partake, as long as everyone knew it wasn't as good as it was in his day.
    "Of course, I'm a bit too long in the tooth to do it full time, but I'm always happy to be involved..."

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Pertwee would already be in his costume (as by this point he'd be wearing it every day as his normal clothes) so would be delighted to partake, as long as everyone knew it wasn't as good as it was in his day. Hartnell would hate the new series because it's too fast and too gay and they let gay people work on it apparently and anyway, by this point he'd be the oldest man who ever lived so he'd be more interested in promoting his page in The Guiness Book of Records.
    And he'd say it was arguably too Jewish, the naughty old man! What colour was that Freema woman? And far too many young people! (Pat would be asking how many of them he could get away with marring, the naughty old man!)

I'm sure senility would have taken Hartnell by now, seeing as he'd be 104. So he'd probably still think it was him in the role.

I'll have you know that senility's not affected me, young lady!

Troughton had so many problems with social situations and basic empathy for the human beings he hurt, it's possible he had Asperger's Syndrome.

You might have something there. Have you read his recent biography yet? It does actually touch on that part of his personality, although with the author being his son... (That said, Michael does refer to a half-brother as "Pat's son" rather than "my brother" or "mine and David's brother" etc., so it might have left more scars than he'd like to let on.)