Default US Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

Big breaking news from the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12143774

Shot in the head at a public event in southern Arizona. A child is dead and four or five others are critical.

Obama about to address the nation.

ETA: looks like most of them are dead
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 8th Jan 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Being a recent convert to internet radio, I decided on a whim to listen to a little american talk radio covering the subject. It's scared the shit out of me! Can't recall the jock's name right now, but his whole angle is that the shooter was/is a devil worshipper, and listens to 'devil' music, and plays 'devil' computer games....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Perhaps all he means by that is that the type of music and computer games he listens to incited him to do evil things? Easy to understand.

Si.

Is it? Or is that just a massive over-simplification of the driving forces behind people doing this sort of thing, not to mention the typical scapegoating of the usual "suspects". And all dressed up in religious zealot speak too. Easy to understand perhaps, but hard to have any truck with as a rational human being.

I didn't hear the interview. But surely no-one can encapsulate totally what makes someone kill somebody. And I don't know what music or computer games they played. But if they were hugely violent then I don't think it's too big a jump to say that for someone who sits at a PC for hours and pretends to kill people, then goes out and kills someone, there might be an influence there. I you gorge yourself on violent, negative virtual experiences, it's bound to corrode your mind.

Si.

I don't see that as necessarily true though, it's just too easy to immediately blame computer games for violence. Just like video nasties were blamed before them. Or Violent films/TV before that. Or violent literature before that. GTA, one of the most popular games of all time, is ridiculously violent, but the vast vast majority of people who play it aren't influenced to go out and recreate it for real. Some people who do go around shooting people for real probably do play these sorts of games, but then they may well buy gun magazines, or enjoy horror films, or enjoy eating pizza too... it doesn't follow that there is any direct link with any of these things.