Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Crowded House - Intriguer coming 2010

As well as being the 43rd Anniversary of the start of Doctor Who and the day the new PS starts, today is also a lesser anniversary but one that's fairly imporatnt for me: it was ten years today that my favourite band of all tiem, Crowded House played their last gig (though actually looking at the sleevenotes- it was actually tomorrow, since the gig was postponed by rain. Damn!)

In commemoration of that fact, there's been a remastering of heir Farewell to the World show, a free concert on the steps of Sydney Opera House, both on CD and DVD and I have to say it's really rather awesome and highly recommended. Crowded House were an amazing band to see live ( I saw them in 1994 and it was one of the finest and most enjoyable gigs I've ever been too) and this is a worthy memorial.

It's sad to realise that they aren't all with us any longer, after Paul Hester, the drummer sad suicide last year (the day we saw Neil and Tim Finn live at the Albert Hall, which made that a moving gig, I can tell you) which makes a reunion out of the question now.

So is anyone else a fan? Anyone else seen the DVD/ heard the CD?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

My dad's after the CD/DVD, he likes a bit of Crowded House. I'm afraid that's all I have to offer to the conversation!

I'm not a fan but that's a lovely DVD/CD package.

I wish our icons would be so generous.

Oh my! The news I never thought I'd see has come!!

CROWDED House, one of Australia's biggest ever musical exports, is reforming for a world tour.

The band's former frontman Neil Finn and bassist Nick Seymour will hold auditions for a new drummer in Melbourne this week.

Paul Hester, the band's founding drummer, took his own life two years ago.

Sources say Finn will commit 12 months to a world tour by Crowded House. Rehearsals will begin when Finn and Seymour find their drummer.

Finn's UK-based management group are expected to make an official announcement this week.

The surprise re-forming comes 10 years after the band's emotional farewell performance on the Sydney Opera House steps.

Finn has regularly dispelled notions of reforming Crowded House. However, Hester's tragic death shook his resolve.

Last year, Finn toured with Split Enz, his band that pre-dates Crowded House. In March, he will release a solo album, on which Seymour plays bass.

"In the shadow of Paul's passing, we had more than enough reason to seek each other out and take a bit of comfort from each other," Finn said last month.

"But we've reconnected musically, too. I've really enjoyed him playing bass. There's something instinctive that we've got together and it's pretty undeniable."

Two years ago, he said Hester's talent as a beatkeeper was virtually irreplaceable.

Finn said he truly appreciated Hester's musical chops after the drummer left Crowded House in 1994.

"I never knew how great Paul was for me, how much he gave me, how incredibly important the chemistry was, until much later, when I was trying to show drummer after drummer how to play the brushes properly on Four Seasons In One Day," Finn said. "Not one bugger got it. I realised how professional Paul's groove was and how genetically in sync we were.

"It was an accident, but a beautiful one. A fate that drew us all together."

With Finn's incandescent pop at the helm, Crowded House became one of Australia's finest pop exports. They split in June, 1996, with Finn saying he was sick of touring.
    I'm a bit pleased!

Si xx

Oh that's wonderful news!

It's going to be difficult for them to find a new drummer though. From what I've seen, they all connected so well on stage and Hester was a key part of that. On the other hand, there are plenty of first rate drummers about, they just need to find someone who fits in.

I hope they do more dates in the UK than Genesis. That wouldn't be hard.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

My dad will be going to see them, I'm sure!

As for Genesis, they're only doing two UK dates because they don't want to do a long world tour like they did in 1986-87 and 1992 (the Invisible Touch tour went on for the best part of a year). 20 Europe, 20 American.

Well, old men need their sleep.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

They're all 56 or 57 in Genesis - just to play the music they used to (extremely fast/complicated/kick ass) will be hard enough!

Perhaps they can get someone to prod them all between songs to make sure no-one has died.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

It works for Bob Dylan - though I feel sorry for him, the poor old man forgot how a guitar works.

*miaow*

Been touring since '88 without more than 4 weeks breatk Pip. So he's a finely oiled touring machine I think you'll find.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, he had to find something to do after the Magic Roundabout was axed.

Anyway, Crowded House.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    It works for Bob Dylan - though I feel sorry for him, the poor old man forgot how a guitar works.

*miaow*
    Isn't he dead? I know at one point he was so close to death they released a Best of album.

Hey where's my Best of James Brown???

It might be an idea to join all the Crowded House fanclubs that are going. There's always the chance of tickets in advance, competitions, free stuffs...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Bizarre. Because "they" only ever release Best Of albums when someone dies don't they.

Si.

The main fan club is a bizarre old thing. They only take new members when old ones leave! Funnily enough very few people ever leave. This year they had vacancies for 7 people.

Still, never mind. I'm a member of the main forum and I'm on the official mailing list, so I should hear about it asap. I wonder if I can get to the very front like I did in 1994? Actually I don't care. I just want to be there when they bring the house down.

Si xx

Dave Lewis Guest

Quite exciting news, although I don't really expect to find myself at any of the concerts. My favourite Neil Finn songs are all too slow to dance or frug around to. Ironically, Recurring Dream is an album that reminds me of going to bed with people, because it's one that that people have put on when I've been to bed with them. Lawks a mercy.

I'm enraptured by this news... I'm going to wear a t-shirt with 'Crowded House' written on the front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt
    Bizarre. Because "they" only ever release Best Of albums when someone dies don't they.
    Sadly not.

I'm pleased for Si that his favourite band have reformed!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    Like a vulture.

Fantastic! I'd love to see them live. I saw Tim and Neil Finn a couple of years ago, an awesome gig, and at the time, I thought it was the closest I'd get to seeing Crowded House, but I'm going to see if I can get tickets for this.

You'd be more than welcome to join us Dave. There's no way that I'd miss this!

Si xx

I would have assumed they'd get Peter Jones (no, not that one) back. Unless, of course, he said no.

And whither Mark Hart? Unless. of course, he said no.

explodes

There are rumours that Mark Hart will be involved too, but I don't think we'll know for sure until they make the official announcement sometime this week.

Peter Jones would seem the obvious choice of drummer (he was very good when i saw them in '94), but maybe he's not available? Who knows?

Si xx

According to today's Planet Sound on Channel 4 teletext (pg 341/6 of 7)

"The band reunited after Neil Finn asked bassist Nick Seymour to guest on his solo album, which led to them reuniting with guitarist Mark Hart."

"... It's expected Finn's drummer Barry Gooch will take his place for the world tour. It starts in April, with UK dates expected shortly."

EDIT: and a press release from www.frenz.com

January 25th 2007

Crowded House founders Neil Finn and Nick Seymour have confirmed that they will be putting the band back together, with plans for a new studio album and world tour.

Talking about the decision Neil said "After spending most of last year making music and hanging out with my friend Nick Seymour we are now announcing our intention to reform Crowded House with a new record entitled Time On Earth. It feels right to us that the band should re-emerge at this time and together with Mark Hart we look forward to reconnecting with the audience that we established and for whom we still hold a deep respect. We aim to make the upcoming shows and the new music every bit as vital and spirited as what has come before. We are conscious that Paul Hester was above all a great drummer and we are currently auditioning to find someone special to take that role."

The band is currently putting the finishing touches on the new album for release later in the year. Tour plans are yet to be announced but the band have confirmed they will play the Coachella Music and Arts Festival in California, USA along with Bjork, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Rage Against the Machine.

And while that's going on James have reformed for a tour with some new songs and OMD have got back together to tour their 1981 album Architecture and Morality!

What a week.
    Last edited by buglass; 25th Jan 2007 at 3:39 AM. Reason: The owl flies backwards in winter
    explodes