Default New Thunderbirds

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/news/new...nderbirds.html

Gerry Anderson today confirmed to Fanderson that he has finalised a deal to make a new series of Thunderbirds.

Details at this early stage are thin on the ground, with Gerry revealing that he has signed a non-disclosure agreement for the time being. Speaking on BBC Radio 5Live this afternoon he said:

"I don't want to sound conceited, but because I'm going to make it...I'm confident that it will be a smash hit!"
    Is it a good idea?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Dunno - the original - you look at it, and in many ways it doesn't feel dated visually at all - it's still an amazing 50 minute roller coaster ride in glorious Technicolour.

Yeah - maybe smoking isn't so cool to portray these days, and yeah, maybe Tin Tin always cooking for the boys is a bit pre-sexual revolution.

But it still endures, amazes and thrills. It's a tall order to recreate that!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

It depends who is making it and for what audience. If the BBC (or ITV for that matter) makes it with the Doctor Who / Merlin / Primeval audience and time slot in mind then it could become a huge hit that appeals to both old nostalgics and the new generation of viewers. If they make it along the lines of the CGI Captain Scarlet then it'll get lost in the childrens TV mire and it won't matter if it's any good or not as it won't stand out and it won't be a hit.

I do think it has enormous potential and has a good message about using their great technology to help people rather than fight evil. But factors beyond the purely creative will decide if it's another Doctor Who, Sarah Jane Adventures or K-9 Adventures.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    . If they make it along the lines of the CGI Captain Scarlet then it'll get lost in the childrens TV mire and it won't matter if it's any good or not as it won't stand out and it won't be a hit.

well unless it is non-animation/puppetts then I can't see it being on anything but Childrens BBC, if they are going to completely re-invent it and use actors then it could well be made into a 13 part series for the saturday night slot when Doctor Who is not on.

Isn't Gerry Anderson eight-hundred and thirty years old? Forgive me for being ageist, but how much energy and time could he devote to this project?

Anyway, it's bound to be CGI, isn't it, like his re-make of Captain Scarlet. Could be good.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If it's CGI, it will be crap.

I'd really like to see it made with models and puppets! Why not? The genius of the original was seeing the expertly made little houses and vehicles and real soil and water. They could do it with puppts and enhance them by using CGI to paint out the strings and make them move more fluidly.

Si.

This might be heresy, but I always thought Thunderbirds was a bit overrated. Maybe it was the 50 minute episodes that did it, cos it always felt too long and drawn out to me, even as a kid. There's no doubting the iconic designs or the way it's infilitrated popular culture since its debut inthe 60s, but I much preferred Captain Scarlet.

Si xx

I feel the same Si - although must confess I've never managed to sit through a whole episode in one sitting, so may not be in a position to judge.

There's a bit more about it all here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...rds-new-series

Si xx

Thunderbirds are to return courtesy of Weta Workshops (Peter Jackson's' production company

http://io9.com/5981478/thunderbirds-...ut-any-puppets
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02...rbirds_series/
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Peter Jackson regards Thunderbirds as one of his inspirations and Gerry Anderson as one of his influences. A new series might be a nice idea to celebrate the 50th anniversary and be a good tribute to Gerry but wouldn't have the same charm. His CGI series of Captain Scarlet a few years back wasn't very good and did badly. (Personally, I preferred his previous CGI puppet series Lavender Castle - very underrated.)

So is anyone still watching Thunderbirds Are Go? I am - and on the whole I'm enjoying it. I think the half hour stories work far better than the original 50m ones. I do think the Tracy brothers are a bit too slick and wise-cracking though! And I'm still not sure why Brains has an asian accent ......

Ken and I have are also very much enjoying it.
    Pleased to hear that a second series has been ordered.