View Poll Results: How would you rate Mind of Evil?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Auspicious

2 13.33%
  • 9: Virtuous

4 26.67%
  • 8: Upright

5 33.33%
  • 7: Good

3 20.00%
  • 6: Decent

1 6.67%
  • 5: Wrong

0 0%
  • 4: Evil

0 0%
  • 3: Excrusable

0 0%
  • 2: Bad

0 0%
  • 1: Mindless

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Mind of Evil

Emil Keller has perefected his process to remove evil impulses from the human brain. Now he's over here- at Strangmoor Prison and trying it out in Great Britain!
    But the world is on the brink of WW3 and there's a peace conference in London.
    And while this is going on, they're moving The Thunderbolt Missile. Bad timing or what?

Just how will the Doctor, Jo and UNIT fit into this web of mayhem?

And what do you think of Mind of Evil?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've never seen it! Always wanted to, but could never find the video when it was out! I've resigned myself to waiting for the DVD now.

You're missing out, Martin! Mind of Evil is ever so enjoyable.

All of the Pertwee era elements are working brilliantly. UNIT feel like a proper military organisation (for probably the last time). Pertwee himself is starting to soften thanks to the presence of Jo Grant. And the Master has never been as suave as the bit in this story where he's sitting in the back of a limo, dressed in a fabulous outfit and smoking cigars!

There's possibly a bit too much to-ing and fro-ing with the missile, but this is a six-parter that's packed with incident.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This has always been one of my favourite stories, and I ache for it to be recoloured, even if Dan Hall has to sell his body on the street corners of Soho to raise the cash.

The bit at the start where the Doctor gets caught making stupid faces at the security camera is hilarious, and it looks gorgeously expensive. It cost so much that the Director got sacked and told never to darken Doctor Who's door again with his huge gun battles and rampant helicopter purchasing.

Si.

think it's a great story and unlike most of the 6 parters in trhe Pertwee, era it dosen't feel overlong and slow in the middle also it's good to see a story where the Doctor's fears and played against him.

It looks (and probably was!) hugely expensive, but worth the money I think! The Master in charge of the prison, the menacing atmosphere around the machine, the rather grim 'demonstration' that makes up most of part 1, not to mention "Maybe next time you could arrive before the nick of time" - and the Brigadier's rather murderous stare in response. I feel obliged to point out that the Master seems to have two entirely separate plans going on, but hey there's nothing wrong with multi-tasking...

...plus Captain Yates classic line, "A bit of a dolly." Mind of Evil has it all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    It looks (and probably was!) hugely expensive, but worth the money I think! The Master in charge of the prison, the menacing atmosphere around the machine, the rather grim 'demonstration' that makes up most of part 1, not to mention "Maybe next time you could arrive before the nick of time" - and the Brigadier's rather murderous stare in response. I feel obliged to point out that the Master seems to have two entirely separate plans going on, but hey there's nothing wrong with multi-tasking...

...plus Captain Yates classic line, "A bit of a dolly." Mind of Evil has it all!!!
    Of course, with Yates and Osgood outed in the NAs, the Brig's surprised look to Yates is less, "Why Mike, you sly dog!" and more "A dolly? Stop pretending you know the first thing about ladyparts."

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

When I first saw The Mind of Evil, I thought it worked well in black and white. On a second viewing, I felt it didn't have that same impact. It does have some good action scenes though.

It would be interesting to see it in colour if they can recolour it for it's DVD release.

7/10

While I'm looking forward to seeing this recoloured, I'm thoroughly enjoying this in B&W at the moment. This is one I can clearly remember watching on it's original broadcast (on my gran's B&W tv) so it adds to the nostalgia factor. The first two episodes have been excellent, no major disappointments (or padding!) so far.

One of my favourite stories. The Master seems to relish playing the part of Professor Keller all cigars and a copy of The Financial Times, very gangster like
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

I watched it last night for the first time (all the way through) in about 15 years. It really is terribly good. All the talk that 6 parts is too long for any story is nonsense - just pace it like Mind of Evil where the different plot strands mature at different points of the story and it never gets boring. The issue with 6 parters comes when they have one idea that begins in episode 1, ends in episode 6 and the middle four episodes are just thumb twiddling and repetition. The machine, the prison takeover, the Master, international diplomacy, the prison recapture and the missile - all have their place, don't outstay their welcomes and help to contribute to one of the classics of the Pertwee era.

The only thing I didn't like was the absurd rearranging of the Ambassadors of Death incidental music during UNIT's attack on the prison. It was hideous.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.