Default The Man Who Invented The Daleks- The Strange Worlds of Terry Nation

A new biography of Terry Nation is on the way:

THE MAN WHO INVENTED THE DALEKS - The Strange Worlds of Terry Nation by Alwyn W. Turner

Terry Nation was one of the most successful and prolific writers for television and radio that Britain ever produced. His vision of a post-apocalyptic England, Survivors, has been re-made thirty years on, Blake’s 7 endures as a cult sci-fi classic, and his most famous creations, the Daleks, ensured, and at times eclipsed, the success of Doctor Who.

But while those alien ‘pepperpots’ remain at the core of his appeal, Nation also had a role to play in the early days of radio and television comedy – as part of the legendary Associated London Scripts, he wrote for Spike Milligan, Tony Hancock and Frankie Howerd – and he became a key figure in the internationally successful adventure series of the 1960s: The Avengers, The Saint and The Persuaders!

This is the first serious, mainstream account of Terry Nation’s life and contribution to British television and will shed light on a fascinating melting pot of ambitious young writers, producers and performers without whom British culture today would look very different.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I bet Raymond Cusick has already pre-ordered his copy.

Si.

He'll take 4.

Si xx

This is the first serious, mainstream account of Terry Nation’s life
    That's an interesting distinction to make. The market has been flooded with jovial and obscure Terry Nation biogs!

Actually, this could well be fascinating. I'd like to read about his American escapades trying to sell the Daleks and also about his agent, Roger Hancock.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Do you think the chapters are all kind of samey and the first one ends on a totally expected cliffhanger.

"And Terry called the monsters in his new story.... THE DALEKS!!!!"

Read on for more shocks.

Si.

By the end of the second chapter I'm sure Terry will have split up with his parents, then be blocked out of his house and threatened with some kind of radiation after a big countdown.

Si xx

I bet his brother (Tarrant) will make a noble self-sacrifice towards the end.

Si.

If Terry was writing it himself, there'd be a really well written episode 1 followed by 6 pages of A4 with some pieces of dialogue on them for the following episodes*

*if you believe various Who/ B7 script editors...

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    He'll take 4.
    And use them as firelighters!

I can see Roger Hancock trying to see if he can get every penny he can out of the writer just for mentioning the Daleks.

It was a good read I thought. The Doctor Who stuff is for the most part excellent, though understandably each plot he wrote is retold within, but often with interesting explanations of how it fits general Terry Nation themes and stuff, which was useful.

Perhaps more interesting was the bits about his relationship with David Whittaker, which it seems, came to a pretty hasty end with punches being pulled (oh my!) and this may explain why Terry was so scathing of Whittaker's Dalek stories. There's a lot about how much money he was paid for various Dalek appearances on TV (and within Who too) which was quite fascinating. It seems Roger Hancock was a bastard on Terry's behalf, because Terry himself was an easy going man with a liking for an easy life. His agent protected his concerns. Very tightly!

The Blake's 7 stuff is good too, showing that this was the culmination of Terry's writing life- getting his name above the logo on the merchandise was very important to him apparently. It's just a pity that the story of his life peters out after this as he failed to make much in roads into American TV, but had a good life thanks to the Daleks.

I'd recommend tracking down a copy if you're interested in Terry Nation's life and work. It's a good read.

Sounds interesting Si - definitely one to ask for for my birthday! I'll let the two important ladies in my life know (the wife and the mother)!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wasn't Terry Nation involved with MacGuyver? I know that didn't really take off over here, but I thought that in Americait was quite a hit?

He was, but not hugely as it turned out. he wrote three pre-credits sequences and that was it.

Ah, that explains it then - thanks Si!

I loved this book for filling in the gaps concerning what he did outside Who and Blake's 7, particularly his work on ITC. Recommended for anyone who likes genre TV.

I'm reading this one at the moment (yes, I know, late again Curnow) and really enjoying it. Other than as "the Dalek and B7 man" I don't really know much about Nation's work. More thoughts when I've finished!