Thread: Eurovison 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

well that was a lively start..

Having watched all 25 perform I predict one of them will win!

I've long since given up trying to predict the winner having last done so about 10 years or so ago when The Olsen Brothers won for Denmark. But, my winner comes from UK, Ireland, Estonia, Romania, Spain or Austria.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Well, that proves I know nothing! Jedward beat Blue and so do bloody Moldova!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Even though I enjoyed the show, I felt there was nothing spectacular about it. For sheer spectacle, the spirit of modern Eurovision if you like, only Jedward and maybe the Moldovan cone heads (B-52s and an old bike) came close. I thought the Whitney Houston sound-alike would have done well as she was pretty good, but Blue definately under performed their turn.
    On the whole, this years show had lost that campness that usually goes with it, and sadly was all the more unmemorable for it.

It wasn't a great show all told. Blue's performance and staging really let it down. The vocals were horrible. A shame as it'll put off established UK acts trying again next year.

Before the press over the week (seeing as there's nothing else happening in the world worth talking about ) put the knives into Eurovision all over again. Let's remember the highlight of last night's votes.

It didn't last, but UK was actually top at one stage. Since when have we ever been that close before over the last ten years?

We were Top last year for five seconds, I'm sure. A crap team are always top of the Football League after 1 game of the season, it doesn't mean much!

I thought we did much better than last year, and having improved our votes by 1000% over last year, it would be nice if the press were a bit Glass Half Full (we finished half a table higher!) than Glass Half Empty (we finished almost in the bottom half of the table) but some hope.

Good for Jedward, they did fantastically and you know what, it was a great song and a good performance. Our performance, however, was not great. The vocal mix was awful and the line "Get back up again", surely key to the message of the song, was unaudible whenever they said it; lots of the live vocals were horrible and shonky. Whatever you thought of the other songs, few of them were as badly sung as ours. Were Blue out of practice? We all agreed they found their feet after about 2 minutes of the song, but that's not really good enough is it?

So we probably got what we deserved. And thanks for nothing, bloody Ireland! We scratch your back, you stick a knife in ours!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Before the press over the week (seeing as there's nothing else happening in the world worth talking about ) put the knives into Eurovision all over again. Let's remember the highlight of last night's votes.

It didn't last, but UK was actually top at one stage. Since when have we ever been that close before over the last ten years?
    I so enjoyed ( and laughed out loud) Grahams quick comment at this point when he said "Quick, someone take a picture!"

I think for me, much as I enjoyed it all (the travesty of who wins, the lacklustre performance from Blue, the cone-heads etc) what let me down was Graham Norton. He's had a few years in the job and I swear he only spoke a dozen words as the evening went on. Half of Eurovision fun is the comentator saying something "terrible". Scott "Dull" Mills was bad enough in the semis, but Graham's got no excuse, surely his BBC contract gives him a license to be lude/rude/outspoken?

Twitter on the other-hand had a much better comment stream, maybe they could just get a Dalek to read out them out on air instead...
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical