Thread: Eurovison 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eurovison 2011

By all accounts the UK's act is chosen for the contest this year.

Did I miss A Song for Europe? I'm sure I didn't which means the BBC have gone ahead and made the decision for us.

So, who is singing for the UK in Dussledorf?

It's boy band, Blue with a song called I Can.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=24783
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Yep for the first time in 57 years they've not bothered to ask us proles. Then again the shite we've picked in recent years is probably a good reason to leave the "great" british public out of the loop.

And much as I'd wish the Blue lads the very best - they're screwed already - they've a black member and Eastern Europe never votes for the black *sigh*

They've also left out the subtitle of the song "(score zero points too)"
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

I'm oddly excited about this. Thank Cher they've got someone(s) who have experience performing in front of large crowds (both as popstars and as West End actors). Lee Ryan at least is capable of a very strong vocal and they were fairly successful in Europe albeit a while ago. They were one of the better boybands of the naughties and had some decent songs.

In fact the only negatives are the dreaded "self penned" mentioned in the press release and the fact that it's been 6 or 7 years since they were in the charts which does make them seem a little old hat compared to say German's Lena or Russia's Dima from previous years.

No, they haven't asked us but thank goodness. The British Public don't know anything about picking good songs (ask Michelle Gayle), and the last time we had a high placed song it was picked by the BBC anyway via a twin-cheat, so they might as well go the whole hog and admit it this time.

And it's something of an unexpected and oddly brilliant move. On the face of it, Blue haven't ever actually come back and sullied their reputation, so are still technically a band with an excellent track record, and a half-respectable band at that. They're a little bit older so should have the experience of singing and performing live, AND tap into the whole "Take That" man-band vibe, finally two of them have ties with Eurovision past, so you'd hope they at least have half an idea of what to do. The title "I Can" bodes well, so if this is an inspirational, uplifting sort of number aka our last Eurovision "hit" by Jade Ewan, then you've got to say that we must stand at least some chance of at least putting on a respectable showing.

Si.

I'd like to hear it though. I'm not overly bothered by not getting a say. As you've all pointed out we have picked poorly recently, but then again the choice has been pretty miserable and the BBC have at times given us the choice of one song sung by a selection of different acts.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

But this is unthinkable and evil - does this mean they're just going to rerun an old version of How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria to fill the light entertainment gap?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

As long as we beat Ireland who have Jedward, I'm happy. The bar has been lowered so only the casual racism of Eastern Europe can dent our prospects!

But I want Ireland to win - I think hosting a Eurovision (it always costs them to host it) should be enough to topple over their already fragile economy ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Thankfully Jedwood are only one of 5 possible Oirish acts. Fingers crossed it's not them, otherwise they may as well send the turkey again!

Germany are sending...Lena again. Can't remember a winner coming back to defend their crown before! Sure people have been in it twice (Dima) but as winners coming back? You'd think she'd take the money and run.

Then again as she "does it for me" I'm happy to see her cuteness on stage again....

This annoyed me:

Blue's former manager has expressed his shock at the group's decision to take part in Eurovision.

It was recently revealed that the reunited boyband will represent the UK at this year's competition with a self-penned song titled 'I Can'.

The band's ex-manager Daniel Glatman called the move "reckless insanity" and claimed that the performance is a big gamble.

"They will have to win. Anything less and their reputation would be in tatters," PA quotes him as saying.

"It is the equivalent of Lewis Hamilton entering a go-kart race - he will be the strong favourite but there is also the possibility he could lose - so why risk it?"
    This is exactly the kind of ignorant attitude that means that, unlike other countries, no-one remotely respectable ever wants to enter Eurovision for us.

Although Blue have technically got an 'unblemished' record of success, they split up some years ago. I think it's fair to say that they haven't exactly aquired Abba-esque legendary status since then. They arn't as well remembered as Take That were. They have drifted into obscurity a little bit.

So no, this won't "leave their reputation in tatters" if they lose. In fact, as we rarely do well in Eurovision these days, I think if they came Top 5 it would be seen as a triumph - as it was the year before last when Jade Ewan acheived the same. If the worst happened and they bombed, everyone would just blame 'block voting' as usual.

In short, they'd get over it. I don't think it would exactly topple them from the oh-so-lofty platform of public affection that the disbanded group occupy now. Blue fans would not be burning their Lee Ryan solo CD's in a pyre.

But - and finally someone has said it - this short-sighted attitude perhaps sums up to a large degree why we fail, and why our top songwriters are never involved in our entry. Ooh, we could lose. Therefore WHY TRY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Marvellous.

Si.

I'm with you Si, it's this whole sodding "WhyOhWhyOhWhy can't the UK win" attiude coupled with sending reality show rejects for years that pretty much is a self fullfilling prophecy...

And much as I'd wish the Blue lads the very best - they're screwed already - they've a black member and Eastern Europe never votes for the black *sigh*
    Is that a joke?

Hello I sang for Estonia and won for them!

I'm glad we've got Blue, it'll be interesting to see how an act with some actual "battle practice" will fare for us.

Here's a taste of Jedward if anyone would like to sample a little snatch..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...43980&sr=301-5

And..... Jedward win the Irish Eurosong fest.

http://www.escireland.com/2011/02/eu...inners-jedward

Also, last years winner Lena will be singing for Germany once again

Blue will be performing their Euro Song, I Can, on The Graham Norton Show tonight.

I've heard it. It's officially Quite Good and much better than last years.

Si.

[QUOTE=P-Bal;253474]Is that a joke?

No, but glad to see it's not always held true - but it seems to be an implict and somewhat alarming trend in the past decade.

The singing dustman aside - he was just crap

If you missed it, here's our entry for this year;

Blue - I can

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    If you missed it, here's our entry for this year;

Blue - I can
    I thought we were in with a chance until it got to the "Untie my hands" bit.
    So maybe it's an Eastern European conspiracy to humiliate the United Kingdom with a song that suggests everyone in the UK are perverts?
    Perverts with bad metaphors?
    I mean ok, but my metaphors are better...

...and Jedward qualify for the final on Saturday!

Sadly, I quite liked their song. Somebody shoot me.

...and Jedward qualify for the final on Saturday!

Sadly, I quite liked their song. Somebody shoot me.
    Well, they came out fighting let's be honest. An unbelievable performance I thought.

To be honest, yes they did and they were in tune for the most of the song. Which, is actually quite catchy.

They probably never made it to the final (I switched over to watch Psychoville) but Belgium had the right idea. An acapella song. I'd love it if that won as it'd show up all these pyrotechnics and big key changing performances.

...they were in tune for the most of the song.
    Which is actually quite good for them.