Thread: RIP John Barry

Default RIP John Barry

The composer, famous for his Bond themes has died.

Composer John Barry, famous for his work on Born Free, Out of Africa and the James Bond films, has died in New York of a heart attack aged 77.

Born John Barry Prendergast in 1933, the York-born musician first found fame as leader of the John Barry Seven.

His arrangement of Monty Norman's James Bond theme led to him composing scores for 11 films in the series, among them Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice.

His work saw him win five Oscars, while he received a Bafta fellowship in 2005.

His most recent film score featured in the 2001 war thriller Enigma, while a musical version of Brighton Rock, created with lyricist Don Black, had its London premiere in 2004.

CLASSIC JOHN BARRY SCORES

* From Russia With Love
    * Goldfinger
    * Zulu
    * Born Free
    * You Only Live Twice
    * The Lion in Winter
    * Midnight Cowboy
    * Diamonds are Forever
    * Out of Africa
    * Dances with Wolves
    * Chaplin

Awarded an OBE in 1999 for his services to music, Barry was renowned for his lush strings, orchestral swells and elegant melodies.

His work found a new audience when Robbie Williams featured music from You Only Live Twice on his 1998 hit single Millennium.

Current Bond film composer David Arnold paid tribute to his predecessor via Twitter.

"I am profoundly saddened by the news but profoundly thankful for everything he did for music and for me personally," he said.

Barry's son-in-law, BBC business reporter Simon Jack, said he "truly loved writing music as much as people enjoyed listening to it".

"He saw himself as much a dramatist as a composer and his music was inextricably linked to the stories told on the screen."

Jack also remembered him as "a wickedly funny man" whose "passion, genius and sense of humour will be terribly missed by his family and friends".

John Barry, pictured in 1967 He won Oscars for Born Free, The Lion in Winter, Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves

Barry's first Oscars came in 1967 for his Born Free score and its iconic title theme.

More Academy Awards followed for the soundtracks he wrote for The Lion in Winter, Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves.

Barry also won four Grammys, a Bafta for The Lion in Winter and a Golden Globe for Out of Africa.

In 2002 he was named an Honorary Freeman of the City of York, an honour he received at a venue in the city where he once used to play trumpet in the 1950s.

Very sad news. His scores are incredibly memorable.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As far as I'm concerned, John Barry was the greatest movie composer there ever was. His themes were the most memorable and perfectly suited to the movie's content. The James Bond theme is inarguably the greatest movie theme of all time.

RIP.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Sad news RIP John
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

I'm just listening to the music from On Her Majesty's Secret Service- possibly mty favourite of all his Bond scores. Excellent stuff and instantly recognisable.

It's such a shame his last Bond score was back in 1987. They should have got him back.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, John Barry was the greatest movie composer there ever was. His themes were the most memorable and perfectly suited to the movie's content. The James Bond theme is inarguably the greatest movie theme of all time.

RIP.
    I would agree with all of that.

My favourite score of his was from a huge flop from 1980, Raise The Titanic. It's one of the most haunting and beautiful themes I've ever heard.

RIP John.

My favourite score of his was from a huge flop from 1980, Raise The Titanic. It's one of the most haunting and beautiful themes I've ever heard.
    I'm listening to it now via Spotify. It's not a score I know very well, but I agree that it's haunting and beautiful. Really good stuff.

Si xx

I'm mystified as to why I thought he had died about 2 or 3 years ago.

He wrote the score for Zulu - it wouldn't be half the dramatic film without that stirring music.

[And no- I'm not talking about the Men of Halech kareoke]
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Sad news indeed. His film and tv work is largely excellent - not just for the Bond films but those listed above and many more. Having said that, I've been listening to a few of his Bond soundtracks in recent weeks - namely Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice and OHMSS - and they're all excellent scores in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

RIP.
    Sentiments I'd pretty much agree with, Steve, although there have been a lot of great movie composers around.

You're really opening up a can of worms with your last comment there though - not that this is really the place to discuss it - but the James Bond Theme is officially credited to Monty Norman, with the arrangement by John Barry. Although imo he really deserved a co-writing credit when you hear his contribution to it, and Monty's contribution. (It's a topic I've been working on for one of the 007 music threads, I'll try to complete my post - with links - ASAP and you'll be able to decide for yourself once you've listened to the material. Let's just say you'll never think of the Bond theme the same way when you've heard the genesis of the piece, and it's original lyrics! Hopefully in the next day or two...)

The Guardian: John Barry - A Life In Clips
    Last edited by MacNimon; 1st Feb 2011 at 8:26 PM.