Default Lost Stories Box Sets - worth it?

I've got some Christmas cash to spend at Big Finish. I was looking at the 1st and 2nd Doctor "Box Sets" and I feel like I'm missing something.

Are these stories (Farewell Great Macedon and Prison in Space) done on a grander scale than the other lost stories? I guess they are 3 discs rather than 2, with the other story (Yellow Arc, Dalek pilot) being the 4th disc, but in my mind, it's still basically 1 story for $50 US.

So, if you've listened to one, the other, or both, I'd appreciate some feedback. Must hear? Take it or leave it? Something else?

Thanks,

Kevin

It's a nice idea, doing versions of the 'Lost' stories like this, but it's dubious as to whether they were successful or not. If you've heard about Great Macedon et al for years and years and always wondered what they'd be like, it might be worth going for it.

But please - take somebody else's advice because I haven't listened to a new BF in quite a while!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

"Prison in Space" might be interesting as it's well known that one almost got made. But I'm very dubious about stories like "Yellow Arc of Fragrence" being presented as "lost adventures", let alone dramatised by a ninety year old William Russell. No-one had ever heard of that one before, so isn't it just some idea someone had for a story? Why arn't Big Finish dramatising the "Creature of Darkness" story I wrote as a teenager, I sent that into the BBC after all.

Si.

Yeah, I'd pay $50 easy for Creature of Darkness. But for these others... Especially the Moris Farhi stuff, since I bought the book already.

I've heard the first half of Farewell Great Macedon and it's basically a third-person Companion Chronicle in style and presentation. If you like the CCs you'd probably like Macedon, if you don't then you probably won't. The story seems very similar to Marco Polo in pace and structure.

So if a Marco Polo Companion Chronicle appeals then you can't go far wrong with Macedon.

Prison in Space sounds like a much, much worse story but I've got it there in a pile waiting to be listened to so it must appeal to someone.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    let alone dramatised by a ninety year old William Russell.

Si.
    He's only a couple of months past 86, old chap - give him a chance!

Well, Prison in Space is as bad as you may have heard. While it is nice to finally hear it and it's great that this old, unmade script still exists, the story is terrible, the dialogue is terrible, the characters are terrible and even the adaptation is pretty bad. Sgt Alice is described as "bullish" at least 20 times which really isn't very good writing.

Frazer and Wendy are lovely, obviously, and the interview disc going into the background of how it came to be made is quite interesting but the story is truly dreadful. It might've been ok on screen - all those miniskirts and long leather boots - but just like Mission to Magnus (which did the same "what if women ruled the world?" angle) it is painfully, painfully awful.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I'm intrigued at the Davison one with the unmade Chris bailey story. Hiwever i don't know if I'm intrigued enough to actually get it.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Gosh, sounds like I should be glad I decided to pick up a couple old Benny seasons instead of one of these Lost sets.