Default Top Ten Stories of The 60's

Right! Let's get this sorted. There's been a bit of debate lately about which decade produced the best Doctor Who stories. We've decided that there was so much change and evolution over Doctor Who's run that to compare the 60's with the 80's was like comparing stamps and cars.

So, to break it down a bit more, what are your top ten favourite stories of the 1960's. And WHY?

(see link for artwork what I pinched)
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

1) The War Games
    Bit of an obsession this one, but it's like a whole show of it's own and a thoroughly entertaining one too!

2) The Daleks / The Dead Planet
    Fluid links! Tunnels! Thals! And for some reason, the budget didn't seem to matter. This story looks a lot more expensive than Keys of Marinus for example.

3) The Daleks' Masterplan
    I've heard this one in various formats over the years and it's still highly entertaining. 12 weeks is not too long!

4) The Myth Makers
    Purely for the exchange: "Woe to Troy! Woe to Priam!" "Well, it's a bit late to say 'Woah!' to the horse..."

5) The Abominable Snowmen
    An audio-only one, but it sounds amazing. Padmasambahva seems such a thrillingly scary foe for the Doctor.

6) The Tomb of The Cybermen
    Not as good as everyone hoped, but then their expectations were ludicrously high. It's still a classic!

7) The Power of The Daleks
    I would so love to see this one... Troughton at his strangest and the Daleks at their most devious ever (including the new series).

8) The Web of Fear
    The Yeti's return and while it's probably visually impressive, it doesn't stand up so well on audio.

9) The Time Meddler
    The Monk's got a TARDIS! And Peter Butterworth is as fun as it's possible to be.

10) The Mind Robber
    I loved this one as a kid, thrilling and weird.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Based on epidoes watched or listened to, and also taking into account the Target novelisations.

1. Web of Fear
    The era of 'base under siege' stories never managed a more claustrophobic setting than the London Underground. The Yeti are far more menacing here than in their earlier outing and the reveal of who was working for the Great Intelligence was pleasingly difficult to work out.

2. Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Cybermen were at their best in the 60's in both design and voice. The story is further enhanced by one of the best incidental music scores the show has had. It's every bit as good as the nostalgia brigade said it was.

3. Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Daleks attacking Earth, a future Earth that's still recognisable. The Daleks able to move freely around the streets. This is not only the best Dalek story of the 60's, it's still, as far as I'm comcerned, the best Dalek story of all time.

4. Moonbase
    Again we have the great incidental music, and the Cybermen are hugely menacing in this story.

5. Aztecs
    The best historical with some great performances. Barbara's character is explored extremely well and the story actually maintains a plot without having one of the four main characters having a weakened role.

6. Massacre
    Another great historical, with the companion taking centre stage. The fact that it remains in some doubt whether the Abbot really is the Doctor or not for vasts parts pf the story is an intriguing device.

7. Marco Polo
    The third great 60's historical. The story is so well written with great interplay between the regulars and the guest characters.

8. War Games
    There's so much to like in this story. The War Chief, the various settings and the big Time Lord reveal in the last couple of episodes. It's like a coupl of different stories in one.

9. Dalek Masterplan
    It's a real epic story, covering a whole raft of worlds, characters and has two companion deaths (depending on your companion views).#

10. Mind Robber
    Doctor who tried something so vastly different than it had done before, and it works really well.

1. An Unearthly Child
    No, honestly - not just the first episode (which actually I feel a little bit blase about now, I've seen it too often) but also the caveman story that follows. It's gritty, it's unrelenting, and best of all it's done totally for real. There's a real sense of desperation to the travellers' attempts to escape, and I just find it very gripping indeed. And although Hartnell's "about to clobber a caveman" scene often gets singled out, we should really be focussing on his "I have never seen a better knife" scene, where he gets Kal to betray himself. Brilliant.

2. The Web Planet
    No, honestly - I know it's got some serious shortcoming on the visual side, and there are scenes where actually it's a struggle to follow what's going on at all (the acid death of the Optera, for example, or the part 3 cliffhanger). But its constant ambition, and invention, and atmosphere, overcome all that. Part 1 is a masterpiece of suspense, ending in one of the simplest but best of all cliffhangers. And at the other end of the story, the climax in the Animus' glowing chamber, is very gripping. Add to that, Hartnell & Maureen O'Brien seem to be enjoying each other's company immensely.

3. The Dalek Invasion of Earth.
    Again, there are some moments where the visuals are a letdown (part 2's odd cell scene, for example, with the Dalek right behind them). But on the other hand, there are some inspired turns of direction - the 'voiceover' explaining how the Earth was invaded is just one. Another atmospheric opening episode, and another rather grim story, hinting rather than showing the genuine horror of a world enslaved to an alien race. "We - are - the - Masters - of - Earth" is a chilling moment.

4. The Massacre
    I agree with Paul, this one certainly sounds tremendous. I don't hold out much hope for the tapes of this one turning up in Hong Kong, but the CD version at least gives a good feel of it.

5. The Aztecs
    Doesn't really need explaining does it, a nice little story elevated to excellence by Hartnell & Jaqueline Hill.

6. Power of the Daleks
    Again, based on the audio, and the book, and the photonovel, I think this one sounds superb. A more cogent plot than its more-celebrated Evil twin, and absolutely dripping in atmosphere.

7. The Invasion
    It's probably too slight a story really to sustain 8 episodes, but the (again) atmospheric and suspenseful script & direction make it a tremendously watchable tale. The eerie music score makes the contemporary setting just that little bit edgy and strange, and although we don't actually see much of them, when the Cybermen do appear they're very powerful.

8. The War Games
    A superb summing up of the 60s, a purely historical adventure that evolves into a science-fiction runaround. So many great moments - the hints at the Doctor's past must have been so exciting in 1969. The final episode would have served superbly as a Final Episode if needs be, and the farewells between the regulars is very moving without being shmaltzy. "They'll forget me won't they" - so sad.

9. The Faceless Ones
    Not sure why, but there's something very fresh and exciting about the two episodes we have - maybe it's just the novelty of the 2nd Doctor in a modern-day setting? Either way, I've no objections to the missing 4 episodes turning up pronto!

10. The Rescue
    It's an overlooked, under-rated, delightfully inconsequential, heartwarming little tale. I love it.

Just thought - are these supposed to be in order? I've just listed my 10 (or at least my 10 as they stand today) but not in order of preference.

Right, I'm writing this before I've read anybody else's choices upthread, so ...

An Unearthly Child. Not because of what it is (although obviously it's a hugely important story), but because it takes the idea of stranding four 20th Century humans (at least, in the eyes of the viewers of the time, that's what they represent) in prehistoric times, and then takes the story entirely seriously and makes something really scary and challenging of it. I love this story.

The Daleks. Again, not for what it is (and what it introduces...), but because I think the mixture of spookiness, wonder and adventure really knocks the cheapness of the production sideways.

The Reign of Terror. The arrival of Dennis Spooner really brings Doctor Who out of itself, and it's the humour balancing the intrigue that makes this one such a gem.

The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Apart from the fact that I really love a post-apocalypse story (and again, in spite of the lack of budget, this story really excels in almost all departments), I firmly believe that this is the most important story the series ever told: bringing back a one-time enemy (for the first time) and challenging the established continuity (that the Daleks could never leave their city, even if they hadn't died there) opened up the programme's boundaries and truly meant that anything could happen. This changed both the way Doctor Who was made, and the way people watched it.

The Romans. Even better than The Reign of Terror.

The Crusade. The Shakespearean influence extends not just to the beautiful dialogue and brilliant acting, but also to the way this story plays both to the gallery and the floor. The mixture of chills and thrills, along with low-brow humour and high-brow scheming, makes for the perfect historical. If only the two episodes missing from Season 2 had been from another story!

The Time Meddler. The atmosphere is halfway between the dark humour of The Romans' farce and the dark drama of The Crusade's political plottings, the guest turn's a doozy, and we all know what else The Time Meddler is famous for. And the first cliffhanger's just as crazy and unsettling as the third.

And now, and even though he's my favourite Doctor, but I'm honest enough to admit that the stories themselves perhaps aren't as good ...

The Tomb of the Cybermen. It's not as scary, as epic or as fantastic as its one-time reputation would have had you believe, but The Tomb of the Cybermen is as daft and as involving as the best kind of b-movie. Bonkers, and almost brilliant.

The Mind Robber. Even more bonkers (I love a bit of bonkers). It barely makes sense, it's cheap and nasty and hardly any of the effects are remotely convincing. But for all that, if you like your Doctor Who to behave like a rug-pulling comic magician, then this story is about as far out there as you can get.

The War Games. It's what Doctor Who might have been like had it been a straightforward serial, rather than a series of short serials, and the further on it goes (with its crazy 'sixties set-designs creating a bizarre counterpoint to the historical aspects of the story), the more involved you get. It could have been exceptionally boring, and instead its absolutely enthralling. And the first two episodes are about the best opening instalments of any Doctor Who story. And then there's Episodes Nine and Ten.

Bubbling under: The Smugglers, The Ice Warriors, The Enemy of the World.

Here we go then:

The Aztecs:
    Just awesome- a glimpse of Aztec society played out ina tiny studio. It's got it all, great villain, a romance for the Doctor, all the Barbara/ Yetaxa stuff and a good fight for Ian too. Brilliant, brilliant story.

The Daleks' Masterplan:
    Epic. Massive, sprawling story, but really good. Shame there's the Christmas episode in the middle to slow things down, but otherwise this one cracks on, visiting the vast vista of space and time... and justw hen you think it can't get any more epic, the Monk returns! Chen and the Daleks are awesome villains too.

Web of Fear:
    The definitive base under seige story. The Undersrground under seige, Lethbridge-Stewart arrives, Yetis! Marvellous tsuff and if the rest of it is as good as part 1, then this is a masterpiece.

The Mind Robber:
    Surreal and odd but really rather good with it. The void episode is really bizarre and atmopsheric- and difficult to believe it was written out of desperation. The Land of fiction is a great idea with some great ideas at play within it.

The Daleks:
    The first epic and the story that made Doctor Who. It sags a bit in the middle perhaps, but the cliffhanger in the middle where they prpepare to leave only to find they can't is a genuinely brilliant one. As is the first one, of course.

The War Games
    We were told this one was a waste of time- 9 episodes wasted building up to the Time Lords. Nonsense. the way this unfolds is wonderfully done as the stakes rise and rise as we go along, and this being the BBc all the historical stuff is really well handled. Gteat stuff for the regulars too.

Galaxy 4:
    I really like this one, for being one of far too few Doctor, Vicki and Steven stories. The story may not be brilliant, but it really showcases the sound design, which is like nothing else. Simple story well told.

The Myth Makers
    Because it's really daring and funny.

Tomb of the Cybermen
    Iconic, but maybe not as brilliant as we all hoped it would be. It's still massively entertaining depsite that.

Power of the Daleks
    The Daleks at their schemeing best. Ben and Polly on top form and a mysterious new Doctor battling humans and Daleks all at once. Magnificent.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I’ve struggled a bit with putting this list together because there are some extant 1960s stories which I’ve never had copies of so am unfamiliar with them, not to mention the soundtracks which I have very few of. Out of what remains, these are my favourites (not in any particular order):

o The Aztecs – a wonderful piece of 60s TV in its own right, Doctor Who or not. Barbara steals the show by a country mile, but Hartnell’s performance with her is also a joy.
    o The War Games – I never tire of this story. Like many DW stories of epic length, it’s really 2 or 3 stories in one which means it doesn’t sag in the middle. A great swansong for Troughton.
    o The Time Meddler – An underrated gem, for me. A nice, quiet little story with a great adversary for The Doctor, albeit a misguided and mischievous one rather than evil. Lots of atmosphere, too.
    o The War Machines – A blueprint for the future, and one of the few stories in which we see the First Doctor in a contemporary setting. Lots of UNIT-style action and the departure of Dodo – what more could you want..?
    o The Edge of Destruction – Not popular with the masses but I love it! Claustrophobic, atmospheric, and some great performances. Admittedly, the ending is a bit of a cop-out but that doesn’t bother me.
    o The Sensorites – One of those odd stories which on the face of it is rubbish, but I still enjoy watching it, particularly the first two episodes.
    o The Web of Fear – What’s not to like about this story? Scary, atmospheric, sinister – it’s got it all. Such a shame only one episode exists visually.
    o The Invasion – Even if the story was rubbish (which it isn’t), I could watch this over and over just to enjoy Tobias Vaughn. A master-class in how to play a villain. That aside, it’s an iconic story in itself, with great music and visuals to boot.
    o The Daleks – I must admit that I find it difficult to watch this story all the way through – it drags like hell in the middle, but it’s full of morality and camaraderie, and though they’re one of my least favourite monsters, the Daleks do make an impressive entrance, much like our front door at home.
    o The Gunfighters – I’m sure most of you will think I’ve run mad, but I have an irrational liking for this story. It’s never going to win any polls but it’s fun to watch, even if some of the enjoyment is just how bad British TV was at doing Westerns.

the Daleks do make an impressive entrance, much like our front door at home

Time for the 70s thread, Rob...?

I'm going to limit myself to one Dalek story and one Cyberman story. So, in no readily apparent order...

Marco Polo
    The first real adventure after 13 (excellent) episodes of character building, this fine historical tale sees our heroes enjoying each others' company, as well as allowing everyone something to do. This story is unusual in that it doesn't have just one narrative thrust, instead taking place over several months as the time travellers and their hosts/captors get to know each other. Magical.

The Romans
    Doctor Who can do comedy, and it does so here brilliantly. The key is not to ignore the drama, but to ramp it up. There's slavery, torture, sexual harassment and religious persecution in the script- falling actions which make the comedy all the funnier. Hartnell and O'Brien are a marvellous double act, and this story is a prime example of why I prefer Vicki to Susan.

The Crusade
    Another wonderful historical. Unlike most previous historicals in the series, the Doctor and his friends don't change much, or inspire any major historical events. Yet, their relationships with the historical figures are wonderful; most notable are Barbara's dealings with Saphadin, for the respectful treatment of Saracen culture. The other side is no less brilliant, with Julian Glover and Jean Marsh spouting iambic pentameter at each other. Speaking of which...

The Daleks' Master Plan
    There is no way this story should work. It's too long, lacks focus, and has a completely interchangeable third assistant (Katarina to Bret to Sara). However, this length, lack of stillness and potential of death all work to make this story into an epic truly deserving of the moniker. In an era where anything could happen in Doctor Who, anything does happen here- and unlike The Chase, everything happens with a logical reason. Of course, the shifting locations device are recycled from Nation's earlier work, but they serve to highlight what will be destroyed by the Daleks' manipulation of Time.
    More to the point, the characters are well fleshed out (even the Transmat scientist!), meaning that Katarina, Bret and Sara's deaths are all tragic moments. What's great is that each die heroically, and not just as a matter of plot expediency (I'm looking at you, Saward).

The Massacre
    Another historical where the travellers are caught up in the waves of time, but one with such relevance and piquancy that it is as riveting now as forty years ago. Hartnell excels as both the Doctor and the Abbot, but the most wonderful thing is how this story pushes the fatigued and browbeaten Steven to the front of the action. Through Steven, we come to understand the people affected by the conflict, to care for them; but like him, we are powerless to stop the onslaught. Finally, the story pulls a masterstroke at the end: an argument in which one agrees with both sides.

The Web of Fear
    Dripping with atmosphere, wit and tension, Doctor Who owes so much to this story. The War Machines may have provided the archetype of the modern day invasion story, but The Web of Fear sets the high benchmark. More than that, we get to see the wonderfully grumpy Travers again, and meet a certain Scottish soldier. At the end, there is the first battle for the Doctor's mind, soul and essence- a concept which would later become overused in the 80s, but is a special treat here. Then poor Jamie has to balls it up.

Fury from the Deep
    Simply one of the most tense and scary Doctor Who stories ever. Listening to the missing stories, Deborah Watling gives Victoria an entirely convincing and involving evolution, and her decision to leave is cleverly interwoven with the plot. Jamie's tearful goodbye to her - in the story in which she proved most vital and compassionate of all - would be worth Episode 6 turning up alone.

The Invasion
    Undoubtedly the best Cyberman story of the 60s, possibly due to their scarcity in it. The Cybermen here really are the ruthless, efficient killers of their fame. They don't need to speak; they don't need to negotiate; they just need to wait. In addition, where else could you find a high speed escape in a canoe?

The Seeds of Death
    It's a bit hokey, but I've always loved this one. The Ice Warriors' plot demonstrates their intelligence, cunning and strategy when compared to the Cybermen and Daleks. They do not skulk about, but neither do they launch a full frontal attack, instead turning humanity's dependency on T-Mat against them. Jamie's saving of the Doctor at the end, combined with the Doctor's stoical, yet laden, response, is a highlight of the era.

The War Games
    An era which comes to an end here. Like The Daleks' Master Plan, this shouldn't work; like The Daleks' Master Plan, the extended scale shows us the high stakes of the game. The triad of villains is highly effective, as is the first mythos-making appearance of the Time Lords. As a last hurrah for the Second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe, all three are well catered for by the plot, and their depatures manage to be uplifting and heart-wrenching at the same time.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

My choices are partly based on my memories of watching them as a child, also some novelisations and re-viewing some on video,dvd or on-line.

In chronological order:-

1. The Daleks. The original appearance of the killer pepperpots. Within a week of their appearance every boy in my school was doing Dalek impersonations!

2. Galaxy 4. I loved the Chumblies, and the Rills were amazing for the time. The storyline is simple but remember that the show was then regarded as childrens TV.

3. The Web Planet. The sheer boldness of what they were trying to achieve with this one still impresses me. Re-made with modern special effects and an updated script it would be awesome.

4. The War Machines. A prototype for so many stories that follow. If it had flopped at the time the show might have taken a diferant course.

5. The Tenth Planet. The Cyberman scared me rigid, and the Doctor regenerating was pretty heavy stuff for the 9-year old me. It took me quite some time to get used to Pat Troughton. But I did.

6. The Evil of the Daleks. This is the one I remember most easily from the 60s. At the time, it made a big impression because it was rumoured to be the very last Dalek story. Also the acting is superb,particularly Pat Troughton and Marius Goring.

7. The Tomb of the Cybermen. The image of the Cybermen emerging from their tombs stuck in my head for a long time. Also Troughton, Hines and Watling all perform their socks off.

8. The Ice Warriors. The concept of Earth being overtaken by a new Ice Age fascinated me at the time. Add in Martians lumbering about and the result was a story I've always enjoyed although it does drag a little in the middle.

9. The Web of Fear. Probably the archetype of a Doctor Who story. It is so atmospheric, mostly because the purpose of the invasion is left a mystery for so long. It's not so much about the Great Intelligence/Yeti as it is about how the other characters in the story react to the threat. Note to all script writers; Keep the villains motive obscure for as long as possible.

10. The Seeds of Death. The return of the Ice Warriors with a plan to conquer the Earth that was subtle for the time. The acting standards are pretty good too, particularly Alan Bennion as Slaar. But the costumes for the T-Mat personel are somewhat comical.

That's my selection of ten (I would have preferred 12, so I could put in The Time Meddler and The Mind Robber, but you can't have everything!)

1. The Dead Planet

I remember the double VHS pack. There is a lot of third hand nostalgia for my choices. But this really was the first time they tried drama on an alien world.

2. The Seeds Of Death

Again, I had the BBC Video edit. I can't wait for "Revisitations Vol 2" to come along. This is my highest rated Patrick Troughton even though there would have been more if his episodes remained.

3. An Unearthly Child

Ok, if you have to include the cavemen as well, then this is my top 9 60's stories! I remember this from the "Five Faces Of Doctor Who" BBC 2 repeat as well. A brilliant introductary episode that you really couldn't make nowadays. But it isn't a gentle start, it's a lot pacer than other vintage TV shows I've seen.

4. The Mind Robber

The first episode is the equal of An Unearthly Child. The rest of the story doesn't completely collapse from it's greatness.

5. Dalek Invasion Of Earth

I saw this on a BBC Video that belonged to Dave Tudor when he stayed over once in the 90's. So good they made a movie of it. The Daleks Invasion Of Earth that is...

6. The War Games

Another great VHS package. The final epic not including Key To Time.

7. The Keys Of Marinus

It's not a guilty pleasure, the quest episode could only be done as blatantly as they did it here. I would pick this above The Web Planet!

8. The Rescue

It's a really tense idea, a survivor terrifying another one, but also a stupid one that doesn't really stand up in the light of day.
    But in my heart it still says.

9. The Edge Of Destuction

Even "Amy's Choice" had more than three characters. I'd love to see a story with a basic cast for a whole episode. But then maybe that's what makes this one special?

10. Planet of Giants

I think this is better than The Dominators and The Krotons. I just do.

Sorry if my choices have been predictable and leaves out many other classics in this thread so far.