Default 2005 - That year in History

Some of the notable events that I remember from 2005:

• George W. Bush is inaugurated in Washington, D.C. for his second term as the 43rd President of the United States
    • The first free Parliamentary elections in Iraq since 1958 take place.
    • Pope John Paul II dies; over 4 million people travel to the Vatican to mourn him.
    • Pope Benedict XVI (Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger) succeeds Pope John Paul II, becoming the 265th pope.
    • The International Olympic Committee awards the 2012 Summer Olympics to London.
    • Four terror attacks (3 on the London Underground and 1 on a bus) rock the transport network in London, killing 52 (not including the 4 bombers) and injuring over 700.
    • Controversial drawings of Muhammad are printed in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
    • The 2005 Bali bombings kill 26 people and injure more than 100.

( You can find a fuller list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005 )

What are your memories of the events in 2005 and how did they affect you?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

The International Olympic Committee awards the 2012 Summer Olympics to London.
    Four terror attacks (3 on the London Underground and 1 on a bus) rock the transport network in London, killing 52 (not including the 4 bombers) and injuring over 700.
    I thought that was 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I thought that was 2007.
    You might be thinking of the next attempt (known as 7/7); which if I recall correctly was a failed attempt.

The one with the 3 tube trains and the bus was in 2005; it happened the day after we were awarded the Olympics.

It's the absurd branding of terrorist attacks that confuses people. 7/7 - our attempt to create a British nine-eleven - was 2005 but all the sevens make it sound like July 07 rather than 7th July. The failed attack was twenty-one-seven, two weeks after the first.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

It was my birthday. I remember it well. We were watching Blakes 7 and people were desperately trying to get in touch, as we were in London. None of thje mobile networks were working, so my family were very worried. Of course we were safe in Steve's flat, but it was all rather worrying, as we knew quite a few people who were not terribly far from where it all happened.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    You might be thinking of the next attempt (known as 7/7); which if I recall correctly was a failed attempt.

The one with the 3 tube trains and the bus was in 2005; it happened the day after we were awarded the Olympics.
    That was 7/7.

I was working at Baker Street at the time the bombs went off. One of which had just left Baker Street and was on it's way into Edgware Road when it exploded.

The failed attempt was a fortnight later (21/07/05). 7/7 was a very harrowing day for all Londoners and I never had any tales of heroics to tell. I was sent to Edgware Road with a bag full of bus maps to help people find their way home.

I'll never forget that day for as long as I live.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?