Default Looking back... The Paradise Machine

We've been updating the website again, and we've reached The Paradise Machine- The BARON of Boralis, Rob's dream... the Doctor takes on his PS arch enemy, Tor Garane for the first time.

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/audios...2-paradise.htm

What are your thoughts on Martin Penny's first script for the PS Audios?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As Si mentioned, this is now available to download for the first time in unedited (i.e one file or stream per episode) format, along with all the extra features which have only ever been available before on the original limited CD issue.

Please download if you haven't heard it before, and let us know what you think!

Si.

I don't like to be mean, as I know a lot of hard work went into this one, but I'm not a huge fan of it. The dialogue is a bit clunky and the plotting isn't quite there for me. I still think there should have been a cleverer way of getting Nick out of the machine at the end than just the Doctor rescuing him in the TARDIS.

However, the performances are immaculate and great fun. From the blustering Baron to the gangly Garane, I think they save the story. Leckard is wonderfully evil and Garane sounds like nothing else we've ever heard! Considering Martin is so good at being Ed, it's not a huge surprise he's great here- Garane's voice is quite nicely unique.

The production is quality too. Nice choice of music and sound effects and some interesting sound design all the way through- I like the start with the entrance to the space station in space, with the computer voice doing the announcements in particular.

So sorry, not a huge favourite, but I can see why everyone else likes it so much.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As time has passed, I've become less fond of "The Paradise Machine" - I mainly look back at it and start compiling a list of things I would have done differently if I was writing it now, little plot holes I overlooked, dialogue I don't like and so on. As my debut story, I can't help but look back at it with a very critical eye.

It's quite a run of the mill story, indeed, I fashioned some of the characters after Doctor Who archetypes (Nervous scienist, crazed megalomaniac, BRIAN BLESSED). The performances really bring it to life though - Alex turns in an amazing show stealing performance as Controller Leckard, Ant is very likeable as the surly Mills and Si Hart does a great Cyril Shaps esque performance as Thrace.

It's flawed, but fun, I think.

Leckard is wonderfully evil and Garane sounds like nothing else we've ever heard! Considering Martin is so good at being Ed, it's not a huge surprise he's great here- Garane's voice is quite nicely unique.
    Thanks Si, that comment made my day!
    I do like the first Garane/Doctor scene in this (despite them saying 'businessssss' about a hundred times in the space of ten seconds), and I think Paul plays it really well.
    Last edited by Martin Penny; 14th Mar 2011 at 1:20 PM.

I like it, and as I believe has been said many times, the bit with Nick being rescued was my fault! I still quite like it. I just thought "well, we know Nick is going to be rescued here, let's just have the TARDIS scoop him up and get on with something more interesting!".

The reason I like it is the flavour to it - we'd never done space opera before, and I love the clanking Golden Moon with its buzzing robots and swooshing doors.

I think it was just a learning curve. It was Martin's first script, and I came in after and did my script editory bits where-as in the future ones, we'd work more closely together as the script developed rather than me trying to make changes at the end. I probably learnt to keep my nose out more!

See also the episode lengths; the special edition exists because it was too long for two episodes and not long enough for four. Another thing that Martin would improve upon in his next script for us.

But I've still got a soft spot for "The Paradise Machine" and it's lovely blue/green cover.

Si.

I think its great fun and recording with Alex was great brilliant. He really enjoyed himself. Martin is excellent too. Tor Garane's voice is so brilliant that its a surprise that its unmodulated.
    I'm not a fan of the rescuing Nick bit and just thought that it needed something a bit more clever than what actually happened but I'm in no position to criticise resuing Nick in the TARDIS.
    Given it was Martin's first script its pretty good, although at the time I did think there was a danger of it becoming the Baron of Boralis Show.

I've listened to the Director's cut and there's an error in episode 4. Scenes from episode one have been included and the exposure of Leckard has been omitted . I had to download the original episode 2 to catch up on the plot.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I've only listened to the Director's cut which seemed to make sense at the time but I might have to listen to the other version now. Oh darn, that'll be such a chore to re-listen to another play with The Baron of Boralis in