Default Looking Back... The Curse of Ratanapura

A storm lashed evening, New Year's Eve 1899, the Doctor returns to see an old friend, Lady Rosalind Carrington. But not everything is as it seems... Could the ancient curse be rising again?

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/audios/season2-curse.htm

What are your thougths on this PS Audio?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As Si mentioned, this is now available to download for the first time in unedited (i.e one file or stream per episode) format, along with all the extra features which have only ever been available before on the original limited CD issue.

Please download if you haven't heard it before, and let us know what you think! Although the story follows directly on from the cliffhanger at the end of "The Paradise Machine", so you might like to hear that one first before listening or reading the web page.

Si.

"Curse" was something of a dissapointment to me. I was really pleased with the script, but in an ideal world we would have all sat down on an afternoon and recorded it as a really 'afternoon play' type affair, all fruity tones, chilly castle halls and shady Victorian gentlemen. As it was, we had to tape it hurriedly, there are problems with some of the quality of the recordings and it got rushed in Production.

It's partly my fault, and I wonder if Pip ever forgave me for that, since this was his big stab at a story, even though we co-wrote it together.

Si.

I have to admit I didn't take to this one first time out, or at least didn't enjoy it as much as previous stories. Having listened to it again more recently I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a different sort of story, particularly as far as the Doctor is concerned. The only bit that still didn't really 'click' for me was the inclusion of Marwood, who didn't seem to be there for any reason.

There are a fair few scenes that could perhaps have done with some background noise - but having said that, I'm not sure what noise you'd hear in a room other than the voices, so it's a difficult 'call'.

Some good performances though, Alex's fruity tones being very enjoyable, and Paul being very Doctory.

Nothing to do with the story, more the Audios page, but... surely the Space-Time Telegraph is used in Revenge of the Cybermen/Terror of the Zygons, not The Mind Robber?

God knows if the out-takes still exist - but the original recording of my scene is probably hilarious looking back. I could not pronounce Ratanapura right - and there's an increasingly irate Pip trying to get me to say it right.

Say it loud, say it proud ...

Rat - tan - a - pura
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Ratanapura was definitely light on the sound effects, which was kind of disappointing really. It should ahve been full of the creaks of an old house, the crackle of fires, the ticking of grandfather clocks, but most of it seemed strangely silent.

Again, this is another one that i can't make my mind up about. It's extremely well played but it feels like less than the sum of its parts sadly.

And I'd definitely have taken out the "shitter" line myself.

Actually I think it's one I need to hear again. It's been a long time.

Si xx

I need to give this one a re-listen as well, I don't think I've actually heard it since it was first released. I remember the opening scene on Mogador really standing out though.

And I'd definitely have taken out the "shitter" line myself.

Absolutely no regrets.

Si.

It's got a great cover though!

Si xx