View Poll Results: How woould you rate Dalek?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Exterminate!

4 25.00%
  • 9: Sucker me to death

4 25.00%
  • 8: ELEVATE!

5 31.25%
  • 7: It's not the one with the gun

1 6.25%
  • 6: I made it happen!

1 6.25%
  • 5: Let me out! Let me out!

1 6.25%
  • 4: Museum piece

0 0%
  • 3: Bad Wolf

0 0%
  • 2: Metaltron

0 0%
  • 1: Hairdryer

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Dalek

The Doctor faces off against the last survivor of his bitterest enemies in Dalek and a whole new generation scuttles behind the sofa from the metal meanies.

What do you think of this episode?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This is where S1, The Ninth Doctor, and NuWho as a whole kickstarted for me. Up until then I'd found it very disappointing.

Joe Ahearne's direction plays a great part in this, as does the Shearman script, and that first scene with the Doctor and the lone Dalek still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up!

'Dalek' is wonderful, wondrous, well-made, 'wicked!' or some other word beginning with "w"...
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I agree. For me it's the first time Christopher Eccleston seemed to know exactly how to handle playing the Doctor and seemed comfortable with it. Everything about his Doctor suddenly gelled.

It's such a pity Joe Ahearne never returned to the show- he was a really classy director, that got the best out of the scripts and his casts.

Si xx

right through the classic series we're told of how the Daleks are a ruthless all conquering race of killers intent on universal domination sadly you look at most classic series Dalek stories and you never really get that feeling on screen . But here with the ability to regenerate themselves, the force field protection, the swiviling mid section, elevating it's self to kill people this is probably the first time when we see a Dalek, is exactly what's been described down the years.

This is probably Chris's best performance the genuine fear when The Doctor, first encounters the Dalek in the cell changing to anger and then confussion at the end when he tries to kill The Dalek before being stopped by Rose are some of the most emotional and best we have seen in the new series.

This bought the series back up to the top after the let down of the last episode. A full 10. If this had been the only time the Daleks appeared in the new series, it would have been the greatest goodbye they could have?
    Very pleased the floating dalek established in the McCoy's was referenced.
    If every Doctor Who episode was like this though, people would say the Doctor was too depressing!

Hmmn. This was the first episode I felt really let down by, on first viewing. Subsequently, it grows on me every time I watch it (I watched it on Saturday, in honour of the new series' sixth birthday - this being the sixth episode), and now I almost really like it, but for one thing. The script is absolutely fine (if just a touch two-dimensional), but the direction is a bit flaccid. Joe Ahearne seems to need to stick a long lens on everything (the whole episode seems to be shot in soft focus!), which is fine when you're shooting actors talking, but not when you're doing action sequences. And there are just too many long shots of the Dalek that are completely static, and not enough (none in fact) shots of it from low down (James Strong learnt that trick well enough), that the Dalek itself (which flies very, very slowly, and doesn't move much more quickly over the ground) doesn't come across as anything like as threatening as everyone seems to be taking it. Shame, cos there are some absolutely stupendous ideas, brillaint scenes and fantastic performances in this episode. But every time we cut to the damn' Dalek, the whole thing stops dead.

Oh, and Bruno Langley's entirely unconvincing too, which leaves the whole Rose'n'Adam plot thread whistling in the wind as well.

Dalek seems to have a really strong script, some impressive direction, some great performances... But I just don't like it. I didn't warm to it in 2005, and the two or three times since have done nothing to endear it to me.

That's not really a criticism, it's just not my sort of Who - grim, unrelenting, mostly humourless, it's in the same category as Seeds of Doom and Caves of Androzani for me. Stories I would never watch for enjoyment.

My jaw dropped when the Dalek's midriff spun round. That was fabulous!

Si xx

There were many "ooh!" moments here, the first of which being the shot of the Classic Series Cyberman head. WOW!

The story is a simple one, but a masterclass in how to re-establish the Dalek has a powerful creature. Bullets 'dissolving' around it, the way it could download the internet, swivel round 360 degrees. The shocking moment you realised it was about to electricute a whole room full of people!

On the downside, it's a bit too sloppy, and the Dalek 'sunbathing' at the end and just wanting to be loved is a bit crappy.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    My jaw dropped when the Dalek's midriff spun round. That was fabulous!

Si xx

you were'nt the only one you now look at that and it seems such an obvious thing for a Dalek, to be able to do .

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    On the downside, it's a bit too sloppy, and the Dalek 'sunbathing' at the end and just wanting to be loved is a bit crappy.

Si.
    But love is the most powerful force in the universe.

(after artron energy and CILT Bang)
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

For me, this was the best of NuWho series 1. Eccleston was superb in this episode particularly in his first scene with the Dalek, when he realises what he's sharing a room with!

I love the story to this one. It's the best Dalek story of the new series, showing us the deadly Daleks which we always imagined but were never shown in the original series, and for some reason the later Dalek stories didn't have the same impact. It's about time Moffat reminded us in a similar fashion just how dangerous they can be, rather than making caricatures of them.

Unfortunately the story drops a point or two due to some dodgy acting from some of the supporting cast. The regulars are in excellent form, though!