Default Which Target Audio Books are Best (and worst)?

Wondered if any of these were particuarly good, or bad, and which is a good one for someone to get to try out the range?

Are these any good? I do have reservations about listening to a two-part story spread over three hours!

Si.

The absolute winner (in my opinion) of the Target Audio Book range is The Dalek Invasion of Earth; closely followed by The Daleks Masterplan. Both Purves and Russell have absolutely outstanding reading voices. The Nick Briggs Daleks annoy at first, but soon get absorbed into the texture of the story.

Brain of Morbius is worth checking out for Tom Baker's astonishing versions of Solon and Maran, while Geoffrey Beavers gives a deliciously evil reading of The Doomsday Weapon.

Despite Katy Manning's best efforts, The Green Death runs out of steam as Malcolm Hulke clearly got bored with writing it.

From later Doctors, Black Orchid and The Happiness Patrol are both marvellous and expand on the TV versions in fascinating ways.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The Myth Makers is rather brill, Martin Jarvis reads The Dinosaur Invasion incredibly well and The Time Warrior is really good too. I also enjoyed The Abominable Snowman and The Thee Doctors.

But as Steve says, The Dalek Invasion of Earth is quite, quite marvellous. And The Daemons is possibly my favourite of the lot, because Barry Letts reads so wonderfully.

I'd avoid Black Orchid and The Awakening though- both seemed a bit too long.

It's odd, because although a lot of the stories seem potentially to be drawn out beyond their natural length, but I've found I get drawn in by the reading and don't think about that after a while, you just get lost in the story.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Out of interest, how do you listen to them Si? In the car or just sitting about at home?

Si.

I've done both. My favourite way is to relax in the bath and listen to a disc, but I know that wouldn't suit everyone. They work really well on a long car journey.

Si xx

The Myth Makers is great fun and you can't really go wrong with The Daleks,William Russell has a perfect reading voice or The Cave Monsters both of which expand the story
    Last edited by stuartdg; 1st Apr 2011 at 5:36 PM.

"And the Cybermen" is pretty good - certainly the best available version of the Moonbase. Otherwise another thumbs up for Dalek Invasion of Earth and the Masterplan double bill.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Oh my goodness I forgot to mention Logopolis and Castrovalva which were both pretty damn awesome too!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    My favourite way is to relax in the bath and listen to a disc, but I know that wouldn't suit everyone.
    We wouldn't all fit in your bath for a start, Si...

Seconded 'The Daemons', though- it's as if somebody gave Barry Letts the opportunity to go back and remake the story exactly as he wanted it, and for that reason it'll be the one I won't part with.

We wouldn't all fit in your bath for a start, Si...
    It's true, alas.

Si xx

And then there's Derek Jacobi reading The Mind Robber. If you ever wondered how magnificent Jacobi would have been playing the Doctor, these five discs have your answer. And that answer is 'astonishingly bloody amazingly magnificent'.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Is it me or have these CDs nearly doubled in price over the last couple of days? They used to be about £7 if they were more than a few months old but suddenly they're over £12 at both Play and Amazon.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I think it just happened yesterday. Just when I was about to buy some.

Si.

It's odd- all the recent ones are £7-9 and all the back catalogue ones are £12+... something's not right there!