Default should the government ban circus performing animals

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age we still think it's ok for animals to be forced to perform tricks in a circus it is very upsetting to see the pictures in this weeks Mail and video footage of Anne. a 58 year old elephant crippled by arthritis being beaten by her handler . Thankfully Anne, looks like she will be rescued from her torment and live out her remaining days possibably at Longleat. But for every rescued animal you have to ask how many others living in a circus are badley treated or beaten when they don't want to perform some party trick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-12899609

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-stabbed.html

There are examples where circus animals are treated appallingly, without any respect and forced to live terrible lives.

Then again, there is the argument that if the animals are treated well and kept out of danger, then there's no issue with it. They may even enjoy a better life than they would in the wild.

Is it intrinsically wrong to watch animals performing for our pleasure? If the animal is well treated, then I have to be honest, I don't see a problem with it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

No.

Exhibiting performing animals and being cruel to animals are two different things. Cruelty to animals is already against the law.

Si.