Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default General Thoughts

Not been on here since Torchwood began, so have no idea what the general response to Torchwood is. What do you all think of it?

At the moment I'm liking it, in parts. But it's not grabbing me the way I'd hope it would. I think it has great potential, but still suffers from the "oooh, look what we can do" mindset of surface TV. Lots to look and coo at, but very little substance. Characterisations that jump all over the place, plots that are rarely thought out very well, and cheap gimmicks to grab the viewer. Not to mention countless, and very tired, purile sex gags and swearing.
    I am out there... somewhere.

I'm enjoying it very much, though I do find the perceived 'adult' elements somewhat shoehorned in. I don't mind the extra blood and guts, as I think Who is overly sensitive with this (there is blood in real life, deal with it kids!) but the sex is just silly. It feels like someone has gone through all the scripts and inserted 'kissing' scenes at random.

But apart from that, I've thought it's been a great, tense, interesting series about the supernatural - right up my street.

Generally the reaction seems to have been a bit muted, but then when have Doctor Who forums ever exhibited an unanimously rapturous reaction to new product!

Si.

Fizzie Guest

personally I love it.... nuff said!

perhaps it's just me but try as I can I just can't seem to get into Torchwood at the moment I neither like or dislike it. I taped last Sunday's episode and as yet I have not watched it and to be honest I've had no great desire to want to watch it. I've so far taped every episode and have only watched each episode the once when it was shown on the Sunday and again have not really wanted to watch them again.

I can't quite put my finger on why I feel like this I've reasonably enjoyed each episode when i've watched it like the writting/stories and characters - even if I do find it a bit silly that there's only 4 of them in this top seceret organisation. So I guess may be what I need to do is just dsit down and re-watch all the episodes and may be then I might just start to get more enthusiastic about it..

It's got better as it's gone along, and having watched stories like Small Worlds and Countrycide, Day One and Everything Changes have started to look far poorer than they possibly are.

Cyberwoman, which I loved first time round, didn't hold up to a repeat viewing.

I quite like it... it's a bit of a laugh but the tempo is good and it sits nicely in the Sunday night slot. I agree about the adult stuff being a bit awkward and unnecessary in plot terms, but at least it being there gives them a lot greater power to surprise you.

It has the odd moment, but tends to feel a bit nothingy a lot of the time. OTOH, it's possibly more consistent than its parent show...not as good, but not as bad as that's been either. It's let down by various bits of silliness and weak writing at times, and the regular characters still don't fel all that well defined. It's coming on, for the most part, though, and is easy enough to watch, just rather take-it-or-leave-it.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm enjoying it very much, though I do find the perceived 'adult' elements somewhat shoehorned in. I don't mind the extra blood and guts, as I think Who is overly sensitive with this (there is blood in real life, deal with it kids!) but the sex is just silly. It feels like someone has gone through all the scripts and inserted 'kissing' scenes at random.
    I agree. I do like the show, and I intend to watch to the end of the series to make up my mind (to let it "settle") but I have found certain moments jarring. It sometimes seems that certain things, actions or swear words, have been put in just to say "Look! This is an adult show!".
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Teresa Guest

Still not really sure myself, it has been a bit hit and miss, but on the whole I like it. and am definitely going to watch till the end of the series, and then decide.

Teresa
    xx

I'm really enjoying it, and have been fortunate enough to watch the first and most recent episodes in the company of friends who are also PS members.

It's a different viewing experience from Who in as much as you watch a new episode without having had all the build up from the likes of DWM and the internet/media itself. Even Radio Times after the first week has barely mentioned it. In many ways, this works to its benefit as it has the potential to surprise you more and you do feel that only Jack and probably Gwen are essential, and the others could be expendable...

I also think that it's more suited to the 50 minute format single episodes than Who has been on the whole.

well yesterday I finally decided to start to re-watching every episode I've seen the first 4 and have to say i;'m enjoying it a hell of a lot more 2nd time around.

Loved this series , cant wait for the next - and EVE MYLES and BURN GORMAN are terrific in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Crewe View Post
    Loved this series , cant wait for the next - and EVE MYLES and BURN GORMAN are terrific in it!
    well Eve Myles is certainly lovely -

Enjoyed this series more than I expected to do. SO, I will continue to watch the series when it returns
    "Have you betrayed US?" - "Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK! - Avon.

Pip Madeley Guest

Another rubbish DVD cover...

Not much imagination went into that, did it.

A bit too similar to the first one I would have thought - easily confused perhaps?

Gwen's speckly nose is always a pleasure.

I think Jack's over-revved the SUV so they're all waiting for a bus to come and take them to Spoo, or Spodge or wherever it is in Wales.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Trudi G Guest

Owens trousers look like they're falling down in that pic. Mind you, they've been on and off so many times during the series, they're probably loose by now.....

That's why his legs are apart, trying not to let this trousers fall down & letting a bit of air circulate.

Captain Jack is clearly enjoying a game of pocket billiards.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I think Jack's over-revved the SUV so they're all waiting for a bus to come and take them to Spoo, or Spodge or wherever it is in Wales.
    I assume you mean Splott, Steve. That dive on the other side of Cardiff from me. Thank god!
    I am out there... somewhere.

Pip Madeley Guest

And volume three:

Bit small, and crap.

Is it just me, or is it reminiscent of the regeneration scene from Androzani?
    All it would need is Nicola Bryant's cleavage just behind Jack and it would be a dead ringer.
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 11th Feb 2007 at 9:22 PM.

What a good idea Andrew.

I've only seen bits of this so far but thanks to a good friend I've got the collection to watch. I'll certainly get round to it as I'm really curious if it'll appeal to me more than the DW new series which in honesty has generally only had luke warm appeal to me.