Default Rumours and Red Herrings

One thing that's fascinated me about the hype surrounding the new series is the number of 'spoilers' that have turned up in one form or another.

However, given the quality of Tabloid journalism, it's likely that not all of these spoilers turned out to be true!

So were there any rumours that you heard for Series One that turned out later to be a complete fabrication?

And how much did you know about the episodes before they were shown?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

A boy that shall be nameless rung me up and told me they were filming an Auton episode in Paris.

Si.

that made it worth starting this thread!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

There was a rumour about a story in which Audrey Tautou would be playing Joan of Arc.

The season was going to start with the Doctor living on a council estate on Earth with no memory of his genuine identity, according to some other rumours.

There were sources listing the eleventh episode as being titled The Brigadier.

The 'no memory' thing sounds like a plausible original pitch to me. Mostly because I remember RTD saying that he was going to keep the first series earth-bound and that would have given them an excuse.

Whether it was ever seriously considered I don't know, although it's basically Human Nature in a different setting when you think about it.

There was talk of having the first episode going out on Christmas Day 2004. Didn't happen, unless I missed it.

Also, they said they'd be an Auton figure of David Beckham in the first episode but I didn't see it.

There was also the rumour that Mark Benton's character in 'Rose' would have files on the shelf for every (past) Doctor, but not one for the 8th...
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I heard that one about Clive's files, after we bumped into Rob Shearman at a convention in Barking.

The files could be there, but they're not featured at all prominently. Next time I watch Rose, I'll have to get the freeze frame out and have a proper check.

I don't know where the Christmas Day 2004 thing came from! That one seems very far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The files could be there, but they're not featured at all prominently. Next time I watch Rose, I'll have to get the freeze frame out and have a proper check.
    I've tried!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I remember that David and Victoria Beckham were going to be in Rose, as their waxwork versions come to life and start killing people.

Oh and it was going to be the gayest version of Doctor Who ever.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As if!

Si.

RTD's the one on the right.

Possibly...