Default Top Ten Stories of The 70's

Following hot on the heels ( ) of the 'Top Ten Stories of The 60's' poll, here comes the next decade of Doctor Who!

This top ten is from all the stories from Spearhead From Space to The Horns of Nimon inclusive* or Seasons 7 to 17!

So get your 70's thinking caps on and choose your ten! Easy peasy, there's only around 60 stories to choose from

*On the grounds that at least half of Horns of Nimon was shown in the 70's and it was all filmed in the 70's. Now I know Spearhead was filmed in the 60's, but it wasn't broadcast until 03/01/1970. I hope you're happy with this!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

1) Day of The Daleks
    My top Doctor Who story and I can almost justify that! It has the feel of a glorious summer's day, there's plenty of action and there's a decent time paradox. It may not be perfect, but it's my favourite!

2) City of Death
    For Dudley Simpson's music if nothing else. Fortunately, there's loads else, from a wonderfully witty script to Julian Glover, a great monster, sumptuous-looking location shooting and Professor Theodore Nikolai Kerensky.

3) Spearhead From Space
    These four episodes gave birth to the entire culture of the 70's. It's all there in the Auton's fashion statements and the glorious tehcnocolour. Plus we get to see Jon Pertwee playing the role as Patrick Troughton.

4) The Talons of Weng Chiang
    Because you have to.

5) The Seeds of Doom
    Again, a lot of action. But it really succeeds in creating a fabulous atmosphere.

6) Terror of The Zygons
    Another story that only has a few very minor flaws. The Zygons themselves are superb, a brilliant creation.

8) Inferno
    The Doctor never loses as badly as he does here. There's no other adventure that's quite so appealingly apocalyptic as this one. A highlight of Doctor Who's brief 'Truly Adult' phase in the early 70's.

8) The Nightmare of Eden
    Not a truly adult story, but this one has more fun, ideas and sheer pleasure packed into it than many others. It's as daft as a brush but there's so much energy on screen that it more than works.

9) The Androids of Tara
    Another summer story, with one of the best villains to ever grace the show, in my opinion.

10) The Three Doctors
    As was discovered at various Doctor Who conventions over the years, simply sticking Pertwee and Troughton in a room together guarantees top flight entertainment. The Three Doctors didn't need to do anything more!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

1: City of Death
    It has a bouquet all of its own. My all time favourite Doctor Who adventure. It's warm, witty, sunny and special.

2: The Green Death
    The ulitmate in Pertwee UNIT era adventure. Great monsters, big computer and the lovely way Jo is written out. Wonderful stuff.

3: Stones of Blood
    Lovely mix of contemporary and space and gothic and wit. Amelia Rumford is one of the greatest supporting characters, Vivean Fay is one of the best female villains and David Fisher instantly gets Doctor Who. fabulous!

4: Talons of Weng-Chiang
    Brilliant stuff. I'm not ahuge Hinchcliffe fan, but this one really does deserve its reputation.

5: Inferno
    Bleak and doomy. Season 7 at its most epic... this is a tense, scary thriller and Pertwee giving it his all. Good cliffhangers too.

6: Carnival of Monsters
    The start of the Robert Holmes era really! he finally comes up with the formula that will see the rest of the 70s through. Lovely witty, mad stuff.

7: Genesis of the Daleks
    Yeah, it's probably padded, probably a bit overrated, but it's been a huge favourite since I was little and I can't not include it. I'd probably take the tape version over all the others though.

8: Nightmare of Eden
    For the reasons Steve cites above and for the fact that despite some shortcomings in its production it works really well.

9: Terror of the Zygons
    Perfect on Earth Monster Who. best on a slightly overcast Sunday afternoon- brilliantly entertaining.

10: Invasion of the Dinosaurs
    Great story with a reputation based on how the special effects don't quite work. This is brilliant if you look past the Dinosaurs. Super story.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh gosh. I've just done the "things you buy" thread and now you want me to sit down and write this?! It's an absolute must-do, but it might have to wait until the weekend (when I'm also writing an article for David MacGowan's new fanzine and a submission for the new Starburst online magazine as well...) My time is not my own! But I can tell you that I won't be including The Armageddon Factor in my Top Ten ...

No Armageddon Factor?! It's good to know!

Yeah, it's a pretty hardcore thread to respond to, but it's good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    No Armageddon Factor?! It's good to know!

Yeah, it's a pretty hardcore thread to respond to, but it's good fun.
    Oh I agree completely. Just a little time consuming, though, if you've got to add your reasons. At the same time, if people didn't add reasons, it really wouldn't be worth reading the responses (anybody can write a list!)

So, I'm going to have to be brief:

1. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    My favourite story ever. The "imaginary" Earth setting places it in the same universe as The Gunfighters, too!

2. City of Death
    Fast and fun and clever, but also brilliantly witty and acted to perfection. A delight to be charmed by.

3. Spearhead from Space
    I've always thought Doctor Who should be b-movie fun for the kiddies on a Saturday teatime, and this is the most perfect evocation of that idea. The all-film look takes it into another league as well.

4. The Time Warrior
    Again with that faux Earth setting, this time a magical sideways glance at history, with more Holmes humour per square inch than any of his other stories. Fantastic!

5. The Robots of Death
    Brilliantly written, Chris Boucher conjures up a fully-realised alien world, with production design and acting talent (mostly) to match. You can almost forget it's Doctor Who.*

6. The Ark in Space
    The best story featuring my favourite companion, and not only that, a chilling tale that never once threatens to bore, despite its small cast and enclosed setting.

7. Pyramids of Mars
    More black humour and spine-tingling tomfoolery from Robert Holmes. Seriously, you could just randomly pick ten of his scripts and call that a Top Ten. Iconic moments are ten-a-penny in this one!

8. Terror of the Zygons
    If the Zygons had been written as well as when they are in human form, this would be Top Three (strange how they change personality when they're in mufti, isn't it?). But there's just something totally right about this story and its setting. It makes Doctor Who-by-numbers look like a truly amazing thing.

9. Invasion of the Dinosaurs
    Six episodes in a deserted London? With dinosaurs? And Malcolm Hulke-scripted characters? What's not to like?

10. Terror of the Autons
    Ridiculous and horrific (and always at exactly the same time), this was the template by which Russell T Davies created his version of Doctor Who in 2005. In fact, this is the moment at which Robert Holmes finds himself, and that's a wonderful thing to witness.

Bubbling under: some personal favourites, which I just can't find a spot for in the Top Ten. Death to the Daleks, the first episode of which scared me silly when I was a little un; The Android Invasion, which is daft but really hits a spot for me; The Silurians, which would be nigh-on perfect it was only a couple of episodes or three shorter.

* Actually, that's fairly true of most of the stories I've listed here. Almost all of them would work pretty well as movies/series in their own right.

Yay! I had overlooked the possibility of Robots of Death. But I suppose failure is one of the great basic freedoms.

So which of the two is your favourite companion? Or are you counting Vira?

So many good stories from the 70s, it's hard to narrow it down but for today at least my top ten would be...

1. Destiny of the Daleks
    Partly because it was my first Dalek story, but also because I think it's very under-rated. Bags of atmosphere, some memorable moments, and Daleks!

2. City of Death
    For all the obvious reasons, it's one of the greats!

3. The Ribos Operation
    A little gem, mixing the beginning of an epic quest with an almost inconsequential bit of local business.

4. The Daemons
    More gorgeous atmosphere, and a team of regulars who are enjoying it so much that the audience can't help but enjoy it too!

5. The Androids of Tara
    More inconsequential local business, but just such a lovely, loveable tale. Gorgeous.

6. The Three Doctors
    Does exactly what it says on the tin, more or less. As a kid, this was without doubt the most exciting thing ever.

7. Nightmare of Eden
    Another great story, mixing the broadest humour with some very sombre stuff indeed, mixed in with three of the show's best cliffhangers!

8. The Talons of Weng Chiang
    Brilliant.

9. The Robots of Death
    Brilliant too!

10. Day of the Daleks
    Gaudy, even psychedelic nonsense, a tale about three Daleks who rule the Earth from inside a cupboard.... but somehow very very warm and loveable and entertaining.

Nice to see a Williams bias there Andrew!

Take a deep breath and... BBC Video might have a lot to answer for.

1. Talons Of Weng-Chiang

It does have the advantage of being the first thing I can remember seeing clearly at the time of broadcast. One of his henchmen taking the sting of the scorpion pill. It stuck with me!

2. Spearhead From Space

I agree more things happen in Terror Of The Autons, but I love the fact that this is all on film. And from the incidental music of Liz in the car to Jon Pertwee in full costume confronting the Nestene in it's tank, it just reminds me of how I'd think the 1970's were. Even though it hasn't got the flash and flare that the 70's later took on.

3. The Ark In Space

Controv! I prefer Ark In Space to Genesis Of The Daleks! If the only thing wrong with this is it should have been shot with darker lights, you've got a pretty good case for the perfect 70's Doctor Who.

4. The Robots Of Death

Another story with a limited cast! And a lot of the late 70's fashion and style.
    It seemed to be the perfect story when all four episodes were edited together.

5. Genesis Of The Daleks

The better of Tom's two Dalek story. Best number of companions and Davros and Peter Miles.

6. Planet Of The Spiders

Jo Grant fans take a deep breath! She is a great companion, but this early Sarah Jane story has a dynamic with Pertwee that goes unnoticed by some when compared to how she worked with Baker. Jon Pertwee not so much as his most Doctor-ish, but relaxed enough to see a magic show with the Brigadier.

7. The Pirate Planet

I remember the Captain from the time and was pleased to see how great it still is when I got the box. Again, seventies designs and one of the better stand offs with the Doctor. There's a lot from the Key To Time I could include, but Stones Of Blood has the sub-Rumpole of episode four. And The Ribos Operation lost out to the gangplank cliffhanger. I also like The Armageddon Factor! I had you with me until I wrote that!

8. Death To The Daleks

I seriously love Day Of The Daleks and can't wait to see what the revamped DVD looks like. That said, I really think this one is overlooked compared to Planet of The Daleks and Day... It shows a tiny group of vunerable Dalek who overcome this and become their most ruthless. I would have put this higher were it not for it's rubbish cliffhangers. But I also love I thought one of the Daleks had said "God's a nuisance!" when the Doctor and Bellal first went into the city!

9.The Brain Of Morbius

I once met Terrance Dicks at a convention in 1990 and trying to prolong the conversation made him laugh by saying they should have looked at his original idea a bit more seriously! (and he still took his glasses off when I took his photo!) This is the ultimate Doctor/Sarah story and made all the more memorable with Phillip Madoc's best role.

10. The Claws Of Axos

I know The Daemons and even The Mind Of Evil has a better Master threat, it's the double whammy of having the Axos in two forms as well as the flashes and synth stings that round off a fitting end to this 70's list.

And there were still more I thought of as I wrote this, Terror Of The Zygons, Inferno, The Time Warrior, Revenge Of The Cybermen, The Sea Devils and I'm sure City Of Death is in there somewhere to keep up appearances!

I really enjoy these threads and can't wait for the 80's one. (Although not just yet...)
    Last edited by Dino; 9th Apr 2011 at 8:24 PM.

As before I'll give them in chronological order.
    1. The Daemons. A sleepy English village. An ancient threat. The UNIT team at their best (Chap with wings...five rounds rapid!). The Master (Azal! Azal!). Jo in peril. This one just works for me.

2. The Curse of Peladon. This story is so well performed it’s hard to fault. And the use of the Ice Warriors as allies is inspired.

3. Carnival of Monsters. Robert Holmes really hits his stride with this one. The performances are excellent and the plot is just bonkers (in a good way).

4. Death to the Daleks. This one is something of a guilty pleasure. Pertwee, Sladen and Arnold Yarrow (Belal) all give great performances but the supporting cast is poor at best. The premise of the story, and the Daleks having to use guile, rather than force, are good points. I suppose I like this one more for what it could have been than what it is.

5. Genesis of the Daleks. This one is a classic. The only fault is that it would probably have worked better as a five-part story.

6. Pyramids of Mars. Another great Robert Holmes script. Faultless performances from Baker and Sladen plus a great supporting cast, and an atmospheric setting.

7. The Seeds of Doom. An unusual story for the time as it’s set entirely on Earth in the present. Great plot, great performances particularly Tony Beckley as Harrison Chase.

8. The Robots of Death. My personal favourite of all Doctor Who stories. The script by Chris Boucher is excellent, it looks fantastic, and the performances are great. It just works on every level.

9. The Talons of Weng Chiang. The BBC has had so much practice at re-creating Victorian London, it’s not surprising that this one looks so great. The plot is excellent and the acting is first class.

10. The Ribos Operation. A great story and the show is nearly stolen by Ian Cuthbertson as Garron.

I could have included Spearhead from Space, The Brain of Morbius and severel others but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Nice to see a Williams bias there Andrew!
    Did you expect anything else....

Well no, but you went even further than I did which took me by surprise Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Yay! I had overlooked the possibility of Robots of Death. But I suppose failure is one of the great basic freedoms.

So which of the two is your favourite companion? Or are you counting Vira?
    Harry Sullivan. Of course!

The consensus seems to be ... a Top TEN just wasn't enough for this particular decade. A Top Fifteen might have done it, but to be honest, even a Top Twenty would still only be scratching the surface for me ...

It's all the contorting and thinking 'Oh no I missed...!' that makes it fun!

1. Talons of Weng-Chiang
    2. City of Death
    3. Pyramids of Mars
    4. Daemons
    5. Robots of Death
    6. State of Decay
    7. Horror of Fang Rock
    8. Inferno
    9. Image of the Fendahl
    10. Seeds of Doom