Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should they save 'til last?

@classicdw on their twitter feed are asking what story should be the final release of the DVD range.

What would you save until last?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Scream of the Shalka.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I always thought they were saving The Greatest Show In The Galaxy for the last ever DVD? I'd be touched and happy with that. I can't remember the list, but I'm glad they are making boxsets.
    Wondering what you could box Greatest Show In Galaxy with? Unless it's with a re-release of that and The Three Doctors again?
    You can buy Arc Of Infinity on DVD already can't you?

If they want to go out with a bang, I'd say either The Daemons or TGSITGalaxy fit the bill of "saving the best till last".

In one sense Shada might be a good idea, but although it could feel like "a final treat" it might also end up feeling like "plus we managed to scrape this together".

Or maybe the intention is for the final release to be all the other non-released 'orphan' episodes (so the surviving eps of Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors) along with (here's hoping) any other missing episodes that have turned up in the meantime!!

They should leave a Pertwee 'til last just so the conspiracy theorists who think they've got something against the Third Doctor stories being released can have their fears confirmed!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

They should have left Twin Dilemma til last ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Why?

Si.

Just cos I don't like it, have never liked it even when I first saw it. And also its the only Doctor Who DVD they seem to have at Wainuiomata Warehouse (it's the local Woolworths-esque affair) - I always get excited glancing through the DVD's to see the words "Doctor Who" until I see the title ...

My wife keeps seeing it as well and asking "would you like a Doctor Who DVD for birthday/christmas - there's one in Wainui I don't think you have Twin something", and I turn all Sixth Doctor "good God no woman, not that one" grouchy.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Sooner or later I'm going to end up with that DVD ... and probably Timelash as well, I suppose I should just stop fighting the inevitable!

It'll be Ambassadors of Death, I reckon, because that story demands to be in full colour throughout.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

well Invasion of the Dinosaurs, was the last complete story to be released on VHS, and it dosen't look like being released any time soon it could well have the honour of being the last complete story released in both VHS and DVD. Personaly I don't know what story should be saved untill last part of me would like to see it end on a high withe some thing like Terror of the Zygons, but at the same time I don't want to be waiting for another 2 years for it to be released.

Invasion is a good bet, though there seems to be a lack of love for The Krotons as well. Perhaps they're saving that until they've EXHAUUUUUUUSTed every other avenue. There's still a bunch of Tom's as well.

It would be nice if they save Terror of The Zygons till last and do a massive, over-the-top blow-the-budget set of features on it. Like re-filming it with the current team for the 50th anniversary. Or take everyone who's still around to Scotland for a big old knees up.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well, I suspect it could be an incomplete story like The Reign of Terror (which was the last VHS release) or maybe a problematic Pertwee tale such as The Mind of Evil (which is rumoured to be the last story that may be released from his era).

Maybe it'll be Death To The Daleks as a way of saying "Death to Dr Who releases"!
    And you'll have to point me in the direction of those who think there is a Pertwee conspiracy in not releasing his stories?

EDIT: The Mind Of Evil works for me as well!

I like your thinking, Dino!

I always thought that they'd planned The Daemons to be the last release?

I, however, suspect it'll probably be The Mind of Evil.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I reckon there'll come a point where a story is 'technically' the last release, but they'll keep going with Revisitations.

The last thing that would ever be released would be full colour, HD animations of missing episodes - because that would only ever exist in my mind

Part of me cynically thinks that one day they'll release them all on Blu-ray, or whatever format replaces it, just as the videos became replaced/superceded by the DVDs. The really cybical part of me thinks they'll not bother with too many new articles once the stories worth doing Revisitations for are re-released. On the latter, I hope to be proven very wrong, though as there's less people around from the old days as time goes on...

If someone does do new things, it would be nice if some stories had more relevant docs. State Of Decay is the first to spring to mind.

Of course the optimistic side of me wants The Web Of Fear and Marco Polo to turn up the day the "last" DVD comes out!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Part of me cynically thinks that one day they'll release them all on Blu-ray, or whatever format replaces it...
    Not quite sure what's cynical about it, but it seems the obvious next step.

classicdw tweeted yesterday...

At 2entertain for digital marketing brainstorm. Lots of sparkling ideas!
    I wonder why they don't let the fans decide, like they did with Vengeance on Varos Special Edition.

I'm pretty sure we'll see some Blurays before long, most likely with a Spearhead release. I guess they should really looking at some form of digital only releases at some point too.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I hope they release "Spearhead" on blu-ray soon, with corrected TARDIS materilisation sound.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Not quite sure what's cynical about it, but it seems the obvious next step.
    I'm a bit of a Luddite by nature, and can't really see the point of bringing out new formats. (I have to admit that I don't understand tech, that's another reason...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I reckon there'll come a point where a story is 'technically' the last release, but they'll keep going with Revisitations.

d
    of course it also depends on what 2/entertain,plan to do with The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors, with the release of Reign of Terror, there is now no reason why they can't be slotted in before all the complete stories are release. How ever I reckon they will be if not the last among the last stories personally I think a Tenth Planet/Ice Warrior box set would make a nice final release,

Well, there have been tweets and press releases concerning the commissioning of Value-Added-Material (or extras) for all the complete stories now (the only stories we've not heard about are The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors), and Terror of the Zygons appears to have been the last story to have its DVD officially given the green light.

As for some of the others: Invasion of the Dinosaurs looks a sure bet for either a surprise release very late this year, or else early next (most of the restoration was in the can several months ago), and The Ambassadors of Death probably won't be too long afterwards (if they were expecting it to be ready this year, then whatever problems turned up probably won't take too much sorting out).

As for Greatest Show, they've actually told us to expect that one in the latter half of 2012, and things like The Reign of Terror and The Krotons were also commissioned a while ago, as were The Android Invasion and Planet of Giants. And pictures have escaped onto Twitter from one of the documentaries on The Face of Evil, so that one must be fast approaching as well.

The Daemons we are told should be expected in the first half of 2012, and Death to the Daleks is also commissioned and having work done.

Personally, I do think Terror of the Zygons will be "saved" until last. At least that way the fans have a treat to look forward to, when they are no longer going to be getting a regular fix of Doctor Who (plus extras) on DVD.

They could save the very worst to last and finish things off with Greatest Show in the Galaxy. The longer it is before I buy it the better.