Default A Little Something

Found this while rooting around my hard drive for something else - can't remember if I sent it in as a Brief Encounter or not, but hope you like it.

Having Second Thoughts

The dematerialisation had barely begun when the TARDIS responded to the slightly adjusted co-ordinates and the dimensional stabilizers kicked in to begin rematerialisation. The Doctor sighed. Pity about Rose – she had potential to be a lot of fun, if a bit full of herself. Still, better to not get caught up with another companion, not at this stage. There was still work to do.
    Checking the scanner, he adjusted his leather jacket and stepped out into the gas substation.

Most of the fires had burnt themselves out, although sections of the ceiling looked pretty fragile. In the background, distant sirens showed the emergency services were in full flow, probably dealing with the aftermath of the Auton attacks. The service pit still glowed with the remnants of the Nestene construct, but the Doctor's attention was drawn to the two new figures, dressed in black army fatigues and weighed down with full tactical equipment, and both with a shiny crossbow bolt through the heart.

He turned as a gaunt figure stepped out of the shadows. “I didn't think you'd be coming back, Doctor. You seemed to be running out on me”
    “ I see you've been busy, Nimrod. Got bored did you , or just thirsty?”
    The Forge agent smiled. “I never could cope with competition. Particularly when they see fit to steal my life's work and leave me without a job. I like your new jacket, by the way. Very me. You must give me the name of your tailor “ A flick of his wrist activated a new crossbow bolt into position. “Or I could rip out your throat and take it as payment for reneging on our deal”.

The Doctor stepped forwards “You wouldn't be the first vampire to try that and fail”. He reached into his jacket pocket “ One back up tube of anti-plastic, as payment for one compact explosive device and the location of the secondary aerial. Our deal is done”.
    Nimrod took the tube, stowed it away and then followed the Doctor as he made his way over to the pit, to gaze down sadly at the results of his handiwork.

“Have you lost your little friends, already ? I thought the girl seemed quite accomplished, for one of your merry band. Not a permanent addition then ?”
    The Doctor shook his head, still gazing down into the dying light.
    “ Maybe I should see if she would like working for me. A nice new Artemis perhaps. Eternal life should only be wasted on the young anyway”
    The Doctor's head snapped round. “Don't even think about it. I wouldn't let you. It would be like leaving Red Riding Hood in the employ of the Big Bad Wolf. Go and find somewhere to hide yourself before I lose my urge to enjoy life and become the Nemesis of all my enemies once again”
    Striding back to the TARDIS, he slammed his way inside, leaving Nimrod silhouetted against the dying light. As the echoes of the dematerialisation reverberated around, Nimrod smiled and slipped into the blackness.

The Doctor stood at the console, his head bowed in weariness. Nimrod – the Big Bad wolf. No, he couldn't let it happen again. He burst into life, racing around the console activating controls and hoping that the Fast Return circuits still responded.
    Now, how could he do it ? Kidnap ? Threats ? What did humans find so fascinating about alien life ? Then he smiled . Fantastic. Now to get the delivery just the right side of casual.

“By the way – did I also mention that it travels in time ?”

Love the idea of him having a mini-interlude in Rose ... perhaps he also went to visit the Titanic briefly and do all those other things!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Nice to have an interlude that Big Finish couldn't do and that the TV show wouldn't do

I agree that there's a vast exploitable gap in the middle of (Rose (ooo-er)) the first episode of the new series. This paves the way for an Eccleston / Pescaton spin-off LP!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!