Default Joe McElderry - dropped!

And Joe McElderry has apparently been dropped by Simon Cowell's SyCo record label, according to the Daily Mail:

From X Factor to ordinary Joe: McElderry moves back home home after being dumped by Cowell

By Sara Nathan

As he wept with joy on stage after winning The X Factor in 2009, Joe McElderry believed he had the world at his feet.

But after just 16 months, the singer has been dropped by Simon Cowell's record company Syco, following a somewhat lacklustre start to his career.

The 19-year-old, who moved into an apartment in an exclusive area of West London last year, is now back living with his mother Eileen at her modest terrace home in South Shields, Tyneside.

During his time in the competition Cowell, 51, hailed the baby-faced hopeful as a major new talent and pledged to take him to Hollywood to be 'the new Zac Efron'.

Mentored by Cheryl Cole, Joe fast became a viewers' favourite before going on to win in December 2009.

Now the performing arts student has been told his record deal with the label, a division of Sony BMG, is not being renewed.

A friend told the Mail last night: 'Joe is devastated. His mum has been comforting him.

'He believed he could have a great music career.

'Although he is still on Syco's books, his deal runs out in about a month and it won't be renewed.'

When Joe won the ITV show watched by nearly 20million, Cowell told him: 'The first time I saw you, I remember telling the other judges, "This guy could actually win". I feel responsible for your success and very proud of everything you've achieved.'

But Joe's early potential was not followed by chart success.

He became the first winner not to top the Christmas chart when his debut single The Climb was targeted by a campaign using a Rage Against The Machine hit to stop X Factor claiming the coveted festive title.

The Climb went to number two at Christmas and only took the top spot a week later. Even though it went platinum, selling more than a million in Europe, his next single, Ambitions, only reached number six, while his third, Someone Wake Me Up, sold just 7,000 copies.

Joe, who last year publicly revealed he is gay, spent time recording in Los Angeles and released an album last October called Wide Awake.

But he has resorted to supporting fellow 2009 contestants Jedward at a free concert in Lisburn, County Antrim.

The 19-year-old Irish twins – real names Edward and John Grimes – finished six places behind Joe but by contrast became a money-making machine, on course to make £3million this year alone.

A source at Syco said last night: 'Simon gave Joe the best chance possible of success by making sure he worked with some of the world's top producers.

'Joe's a lovely boy and it is a pity it did not work out, but no one can say Simon and his staff did not try to make it work.'

Currently, Syco still have Leona Lewis signed to the label, alongside 2008 winner, Alexandra Burke.

Meanwhile, last year’s winner Matt Cardle is signed in a joint deal between Syco and Columbia Records.

Last year’s runners-ups One Direction and Cher Lloyd are also signed to Syco, while Rebecca Ferguson is being looked at by other Sony labels within the group.

X Factor winner in 2006, Leona Lewis has sold more than 10million album sales worldwide, has had number 1s in 32 countries and is the first UK female debut artist to get a number one album in the U.S.

Alexandra Burke, meanwhile, sold more than a million copies of her first single Hallelujah. Since winning The X Factor, Alexandra has also had two BRITs nominations for Best British Single, in 2009 for Hallelujah and 2010 for Bad Boys.

Globally, more than 100million records have been sold by X Factor artists launched through the series, including over 90 number 1 singles and albums and 150 top ten records.

The company also still works with Olly Murs, JLS, Diana Vickers and the entire crop of last years finalists on Sony.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Joe, who last year publicly revealed he is gay
    And I would like to believe that this has got nothing to do with his being dropped!

Sadly I'm wayyy too cynical. Damn it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Is it not more likely because, with a couple of exceptions, these winners turn out to be totally dreviative, bland and unexceptional artists who are forgotten by the public the moment the televised shows end?

Yeah, but they usually keep them going on!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Thing is each year they find "an exceptional talent", and the year after that "another" and again and again ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......