Default The Police to Re-Unite

good news for fans of band.

..The Police are to reunite and perform at the Grammy Awards next month - more than 20 years after the release of their last album.
    Sting, Stewart Copeland, and Andy Summers will open the 49th Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on 11 February.

The band - who had hits with Every Breath You Take and Roxanne - last performed together in 2003.

The Police, who never officially parted before pursuing solo projects, had been rumoured to be planning a comeback.

The band started out in 1977, and had their first number one hit, Message in A Bottle, two years later.

They released their fifth, and last, album Synchronicity, which featured songs Every Breath You Take and Wrapped Around Your Finger.

'Massive news'

They last performed together in celebration of their 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Music journalist Chris Salmon said their reunion was "massive news".

"There are definitely some bands who said they wouldn't reform until hell freezes over and The Police were one of those bands," he said.

"I don't think anyone who likes them or loves them would have considered this would happen.

"It's 30 years since The Police formed - and that anniversary gives you a bit of an excuse.

"I suppose people start to think about legacy and Sting perhaps wants people to remember he's not this bland tantric sex-lover, and that he once fronted this amazing rock group."

The trio, who won five Grammys in their 1980s prime, join a live performance line-up that already includes Justin Timberlake, Beyonc, Mary J. Blige, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Blige has picked up eight nominations including record of the year for Be Without You.............

Dave Lewis Guest

I'll never forgive Sting for revealing that Every Breath You Take wasn't, as a younger version of me thought, a sadly romantic song about seeing the unattainable object of one's deepest desire and, even though one knows that one can never be with her, one will carry on thinking of her, rather than moving on and mending one's broken heart.

No, it's not about that at all. In fact, "...its a nasty little song, really rather evil. Its about jealousy and surveillance and ownership."

What yellow-and-black-jumpered tantric-shagging git said this? Yes! Sting! Ruined it for me forever. Bastard!

Trudi G Guest

I wouldn't mind if they were re-forming without Sting, He gets on my tits...

Wow! And they can see me naked!

What yellow-and-black-jumpered tantric-shagging git said this? Yes! Sting! Ruined it for me forever. Bastard!
    Well he did write the thing! But you own the song as much as he does - your meaning is as important for you as his is for him.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Dave Lewis Guest

I know, and I always maintain that the individual listener's interpretation of any song is the most important one... it's what it means to you, no matter what the artist intended.

However, artists don't always explain their songs as explicitly as Mr Sumner has about Every Breath You Take, and furthermore, I always reserve the right to have at least one exception to any or all of my proclamations. This is definitely the exception to the rule, and thus, Sting is a git. QED.

First review of their comback gig from The Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/219149

Quote Originally Posted by TheStar.com
    Synchronicity as Police reunite in Vancouver
    May 30, 2007 04:30 AM

VANCOUVERAll fans had to do to feel absolutely fantastic about The Police reunion tour, which began Monday at General Motors Place, was to keep their eyes on drummer Stewart Copeland.

Wearing a red-and-black bike shirt and sporty headband, hopping like a leprechaun between an imposing percussion setup and equally sizable drum kit, the 54-year-old couldn't stop grinning.

Copeland had good reason to be happy. Although not flawless, The Police's two-hour return to the arena stage amply demonstrated what made the band such a force in pop two decades ago.

The band plays Toronto July 22 and 23, and Nov. 8.

In a long set that bopped from hit to hit to hit, starting with "Message in a Bottle" and ending with a cheerfully frenzied "Next to You," from the band's 1978 debut, Outlandos d'Amour, the three musicians chased one another's leads and finished one another's musical sentences. "Synchronicity II" was six minutes of zigzagging guitar and fuming vocals while "The Bed's Too Big Without You" and "Roxanne" turned reggae's dislocated lilt into the sound of romantic anxiety.

Most songs extended beyond the original versions, allowing everyone to stretch and show off. Limitations wrought by age were limited to the occasional glitch in Sting's upper register.

Wayne Guest

They weren't a bad group actually. Just a shame Sting is such a prick.