View Poll Results: How would you rate Boom Town?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Dinner and bondage!

1 8.33%
  • 9: Works for me!

2 16.67%
  • 8: Blaid Drwgg

4 33.33%
  • 7: Perfect for a magpie mind

2 16.67%
  • 6: It was a very icy patch

1 8.33%
  • 5: And I was having such a nice day

0 0%
  • 4: We could get a hotel

0 0%
  • 3: I'm seeing Trisha Delaney

1 8.33%
  • 2: She's climbing out of the window...

1 8.33%
  • 1: Oh it's always the Doctor and never me

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Boom Town

The Doctor, Rose and Jack have a pitstop in Cardiff to refuel the TARDIS and encounter an old friend and an old enemy. For one night only the TARDIS becomes a Police Box- holding a prisoner inside.

Who can resist dinner and bondage?

Some fantastic acting, and I love that the resolution isn't easy (although the climax itself is something of a cheat), Boom Town deals with some fairly big issues in terms that Doctor Who's younger audience can still understand. Plus there's some prize comedy and surprising pathos in the early scenes. Oh, and "She's climbing out of the window, isn't she?" is just one of those moments. But it doesn't quite gel together entirely convincingly. You can tell it was a late replacement for a script that didn't pan out, and the cheap story of the series. Still rollicking good stuff, though.

The Slitheen were better designed. And it was a good angle on the story.
    It wasn't like anything the series had seen before so it gets points for that.
    The first of the Doctor-lite episodes... and it's still got the Doctor in it!

A series filler if ever I saw one and the first episode of the new series that I didn't re-watch straight away. A 6/10 from me.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I love it, I can remember us all enjoying it first time round - as JR says above, there's something marvellous about the "she's climbing out the window isn't she" bit, and the teleport scene ("I could do this all day") always makes me laugh. And my daughter, in 2005, really liked the way Eccleston sighs, "And I was having such a nice day".

Plus Mickey says what we all think, about how smug they all are!!

I adore this episode. Everything about it is right- from the much improved, straighter performance from Annette Badland to the much needed character development for Mickey (and indeed a much improved performance from Noel Clarke too- the scenes on the marina side with Rose really sizzle).

And the humour works really well too. I love the scene of the Doctor and Margaret in the restaurant which is played brilliantly, as is the teleporting scene, which still makes me laugh.

It might be filler, but this is great filler. If RTD could pull something this good out of the hat at the last minute, then it shows just how good he was. He even manages to set up the resolution of the next story, which is really rather clever!

It plays to Russell's hugest strength, in that it's an episode where people just talk to each other. I've only recently gained an appreciation of how brilliant RTD was at dialogue and this episode shows it off in spades.

A fun, sunshiney kind of story that stands up to re-watching time and again. 10/10 from me!

Thought it was average filler on first viewing, but it's an episode that improves with each viewing. Brilliantly directed by Joe Ahearne, and as others have said, a great episode for Mickey.

"She's climbing out of the window, isn't she?" is one of the funniest lines of the season, superbly delivered.

8/10
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

"She's climbing out of the window, isn't she?" is one of the funniest lines of the season, superbly delivered.
    That's not the only great line! Here's some of my faves:
    'And I was having such a nice day!'
    'Maaaaaar-gret!'
    'The South Wales coast could fall into the sea and they wouldn't notice! Oh! I sound like a Welshman. God help me, I've gone native!'
    'What are you captain of? The Innuendo Squad?'
    'Is that a tribophysical waveform macro-kinetic extrapolator?!?!'
    And my absolute favourite:
    'This nuclear power station, in the heart of Cardiff, will bring jobs for all!'

"They were decapitated..."
    "It was a very icy patch"

I didn't say it was the only funny line. It's my favourite though, as the humour is in the situation, rather than just the dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    'What are you captain of? The Innuendo Squad?'
    My second favourite. As I say, I don't think Noel Clarke puts a foot wrong in this story.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It's the young guy's honest reaction/response to the "she's climbing out of the window, isn't she?" line that I like

I'm also rather fond of the reactions of everyone when Margaret reveals that she ended up in a skip on the Isle of Dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    "They were decapitated..."
    "It was a very icy patch"

I remember finding that exchange hilarious.

I really liked this episode, it's an easy one to watch. In any other show, I don't think this episode would be classed as filler. There's plenty going on, meaningful character development and the return of an old villain. I wish we had more episodes like this in NewWho.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I to the much needed character development for Mickey (and indeed a much improved performance from Noel Clarke too- the scenes on the marina side with Rose really sizzle).

!

this episode shows us all what a cow Rose, was her treatment of Mickey, and the constant way she humiliated him was awful and you're left thinking why dose he stay with her.

As for the episode well i've always liked Boomtown,