View Poll Results: How would you rate Day of the Moon?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Full Moon!

5 17.24%
  • 9: Blue Moon

7 24.14%
  • 8: Waxing Gibbous

11 37.93%
  • 7: First Quarer

2 6.90%
  • 6: New Moon

0 0%
  • 5: Waning Gibbous

1 3.45%
  • 4: Waning Crescent

1 3.45%
  • 3: Waxing Crescent

0 0%
  • 2: Eclipse

1 3.45%
  • 1: Lunatic

1 3.45%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but the Doctor was shot twice by the Astronaut with the second shot ending the regeneration. Could that second shot be some sort of body swap where the Doctor ended up looking like the little girl, hence the regeneration?
    Hmmm yes. Then when the little girl has regenerated into the Doctor, he goes back to the hidden TARDIS, pilots it to a house in present day London and legs it.

I've just watched Day of the Moon again. Two things which I'm not sure have been mentioned.

1 The Doctor is fiddling around in Apollo 11 apparantly before he has the footage of the Silent.

2 When Amy is strapped into the chair , a Silent says "We do you honour. You bring the Silence"

What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    2 When Amy is strapped into the chair , a Silent says "We do you honour. You bring the Silence"

What does that mean?
    I'm telling you- she's getting a bun in the oven, and Rory's yeast has got nothing to do with it.

(my own speculation, so it ain't spoilerific)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBeastie View Post
    But The Silence are such a carbon copy of the angels. Perhaps it's cos I'm a horror/suspense fan, but they weren't creepy or scary at all to me (and I watched both parts in a dark movie theater) Boils down to personal taste, again, but there's no denying they're just angels with the ability to make you forget they were ever there.
    I found them to be really disturbing, perhaps it's a personal thing but facially I thought the mask was superb, really urgh and creepy. Plus personality wise they were very different, filled with arrogance, and a complete disdain for the human species.

How are Amy and Rory appealing to you? In your own words, I'd like to know. Because I don't see anything to them at all. Rory's character is very dependent on Amy's character and who she is, and I still can't put my finger on her as a character.
    As for Amy, well, she wears short skirts and...Ahem, well I just really like the character, she's feisty but without being overbearing like Donna was, has a lot of energy and brings a sense of fun in to the series (unlike poor old Martha), and seems to passionately enjoy her travels with the Doctor, just like Rose (my former favourite companion) did. I think she's also quite funny, and I like her relationship with Rory.

I have to admit I've struggled with Rory in the past, I find him to a bit wet some of the time, but it looks like he's slowly growing some balls. The fact that he's the only one who ever stands up to the Doctor (or at least tries) is an interesting side to his character too, and I hope he develops as the series continues.

I meant the general theme of the series and The Doctor and how the situations and monsters and obstacles before the heroes are symbols for something greater.

For example, RTD's years were all about loneliness and the master in series 3's finale used this as a weapon against The Doctor by refusing to regenerate leaving The Doctor alone, with no hope of ever being together with his people again. And, when he was given that opportunity during The End of Time, he threw it away, because he saw someone he cared about dissenting- just as he would.

That's why it doesn't matter who that Timelady was; because (again, duality) The doctor looks at Donna and then to Wilf and Donna's mom- she was someone he cared about deeply and knew he had to hold true to his principles no matter how painful the result of his actions would be.

See? Something like that.

What was the deeper meaning of Pandorica Opens/Big Bang?
    Well it's a bit unfair to make the comparison as we're only two episodes in.
    If you look at the beginning of series three, very little is hinted at as to what's to come in Smith and Jones and The Shakespeare Code. But we've already been introduced to big themes - death, is it, in this situation, inevitable? Love and how complicated it can be (I mean I'm sure Moffat's going to have a lot of fun with a married couple as companions, especially as this has been the first time it's been done, and River and The Doctor are clearly going to become more intimate) and who knows who the Time Girl is - and it could it mean he is no longer the last of the timelords?

I just feel it's a little unfair to prejudge an entire series by the first two episodes - try to have a tiny bit of faith that it might all work out well in the end!
    Last edited by Alex; 1st May 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I found them to be really disturbing, perhaps it's a personal thing but facially I thought the mask was superb, really urgh and creepy. Plus personality wise they were very different, filled with arrogance, and a complete disdain for the human species.
    ...and the angels weren't? (i.e. everything Angel Bob said, including making Amy count) sounds pretty arrogant and disdainful to me...

As for Amy, well, she wears short skirts and...Ahem, well I just really like the character, she's feisty but without being overbearing like Donna was, has a lot of energy and brings a sense of fun in to the series (unlike poor old Martha), and seems to passionately enjoy her travels with the Doctor, just like Rose (my former favourite companion) did. I think she's also quite funny, and I like her relationship with Rory.
    So you like your companions pretty, passive, and gleefully going along for the ride at all times no matter what happens?

Donna and Rose were my favorites, and I never saw Donna as overbearing. I think you're confusing that for strong willed. Something Amy is clearly lacking. I see the "passion" you see as more of a "needy obsession".

Why do you like their relationship? Don't you feel awful for the guy? If any of the companions are overbearing, it's Amy with Rory- she's an awful, ungrateful crone to the bloke. And, frankly, unless he has hidden talents we dunno of, I don't see why she doesn't just dump him and chase after The Doctor instead.

I have to admit I've struggled with Rory in the past, I find him to a bit wet some of the time, but it looks like he's slowly growing some balls. The fact that he's the only one who ever stands up to the Doctor (or at least trys) is an interesting side to his character too, and I hope he develops as the series continues.
    He only ever stood up to him during Vampires in Venice. He was quite passive at the prospect of losing Amy during the Silurian two-parter. And he's been quite passive ever since.

If you look at the beginning of series three, very little is hinted at as to what's to come in Smith and Jones and The Shakespeare Code.
    Yeah, we have the Saxon posters and slowly things build over time. But when your main mystery plot bleeds into the stories so we can't have any decent resolutions from week to week...

But we've already been introduced to big themes - death, is it, in this situation, inevitable?
    Yeah, and apparently reversible. Or cop-out able.

Love and how complicated it can be (I mean I'm sure Moffat's going to have a lot of fun with a married couple as companions, especially as this has been the first time it's been done, and River and The Doctor are clearly going to become more intimate)
    Love and how complicated it can be with time loops and things that never properly happened.

Yup, definitely universal.

Look at The Doctor and Rose. What is their relationship built upon?

Sacrifice.

She sacrificed herself to save him in "Parting of the Ways" and he did so in return.

Even The Doctor and Wilf- yes, he was reluctant to save him, but The Doctor's relationships during the last era were built around sacrifice.

That's what Love and Friendship meant the last 4 seasons.

What does Love mean now?

::cricket, cricket::

Uhh... it means... uhm... it can be vague, because it still hasn't happened yet...

...uhm... one person is always stronger than the other and more knowlegdable than the other (i.e. The Doctor/River, Amy/Rory)... uhm...?

Yeah, I dunno what Moffat's definition of Love or Friendship is based upon.

I just feel it's a little unfair to prejudge an entire series by the first two episodes - try to have a tiny bit of faith that it might all work out well in the end!
    I'm not prejudging it on two episodes, I'm prejudging it on 16 episodes where a whole lot of nothing has been explained or happened.

And being that Moffat hasn't changed his methods in the past 6 years, I can't really hope things can turn out well in the end can I?

I liked it. What more is there to say?

If the spokesperson of the Angels was Angel Bob, does that mean the speaking Silent was Silent Bob...?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Oh I feel a lot better now, I didn't hate it that much!

Jason will probably be able to answer this, but something else that has occured to me today is that if the Silence have actually stage-managed the moon landings simply to invent the spacesuit... wouldn't the spacesuit have been invented years before, when we started putting men into orbit back in the early 60s?

I also feel, but slightly tongue-in-cheek with this one, that if by the end of the season the spacesuit is still the only motive for the Silence in this story, then it makes the US location for the story a little bit tenuous, as the moon landing is almost incidental... It's not a real criticism, but hey we never forgive Arc of Infinity for its irrelevant Amsterdam setting, why should Moffat get away with it!!
    I think the US setting was so that the Doctor could insert the footage of the Silent into the most-watched (live) piece of television footage in history. Yes, I suppose in a way weighting the location of the story more to its resolution than its setup is probably a bit lazy, but hey ho.

I liked it. What more is there to say?
    But what about...? And who was...? And why did....? And what the flaming monkey mucus was going on with the ....?

I think that's what people are saying. It's only the season opener though, so I suppose it's right that it's setting up a few (dozen) questions. As Doctor Who fans, we're used to things being wrapped up more quickly these days!

Well, I've watched it another couple of times now, and finally decided on a rating for it. I'd still give the first episode an unequivocal 10/10, but this one really has been a difficult one to judge...

There are quite a few things wrong with it, plotwise & dialogue wise - unusual for a Moffat story. Things that under RTD with Tennant, I would undoubtedly been picking apart ferociously, but I can't really do that here because I just love this Tardis team so much. Every niggle I have with 'Day of the Moon' just evaporates as soon as I see this crew interact. They're really at the top of their game, and still improving from last year. I see the Doctor & Amy talking about 'Timeheads', and I cannot stop a huge grin from forming on my face! And I want to be travelling in the Tardis with them.

I've only really two problems with this episode, and neither are "unanswered questions". The first is Amy's "when you fell out of the sky" dialogue. It's just so clumsy and unnatural. It's simply to purposely push some emotional buttons.

The second problem, is what I see as the biggest plothole, but one I haven't really seen anyone else pick up on. Canton builds the 'dark star alloy' prison, and says that nothing can get through it at all, not even radio waves. Yet the resolution involves him sending the video footage of the Silent through it! Yes, the Doctor has built him some gadgetry with flashing lights, but it's careless writing when you're resolving the story with it.

All that said, if I was voting purely on enjoyment factors, a 10/10 wouldn't be unfair. All the cast here are superb (hope we see Canton again), I absolutely love the solution of the subliminal message in the moon landing footage, and it was full of moody, dark & scary atmosphere. And the Silence are a great creation - definitely one of the scariest things to grace DW. Funny and clever throughout, however my final critical mark is for now...8/10.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I get the feeling that when this series has finished, and we know (most of) what's going on, I'll enjoy the opening two-parter a lot more. I certainly hope so, as the cast and the production values are superb, it's just the whole thing together that's not gelling for me yet.

And, yes, I laughed at the "time head" bit too!!

...and the angels weren't? (i.e. everything Angel Bob said, including making Amy count) sounds pretty arrogant and disdainful to me...
    The thing with the Angels though was that they were a menace in the far future, on a different planet. Whereas The Silence have an enormous presence on Earth and have been manipulating our history for their own devious means, which I find far more a threatening and disturbing an idea.

So you like your companions pretty, passive, and gleefully going along for the ride at all times no matter what happens?
    Well the 'pretty' bit was just a joke, but I don't think she's passive - she spent three months tracking down the Silence for the Doctor, and also investigated the old children's home with Canton, going off on her own to find out more - and there are plenty of examples where she's used her iniative to help save the day.

Donna and Rose were my favorites, and I never saw Donna as overbearing. I think you're confusing that for strong willed. Something Amy is clearly lacking. I see the "passion" you see as more of a "needy obsession".
    Nah, I'm really not confusing it with strong willed! You could describe Rose as that, but Donna was loud, annoying, arrogant and really irritating. I know opinions vary and this is a very personal one, but I can't stand her, and Tate almost ruined the season for me.

Why do you like their relationship? Don't you feel awful for the guy? If any of the companions are overbearing, it's Amy with Rory- she's an awful, ungrateful crone to the bloke. And, frankly, unless he has hidden talents we dunno of, I don't see why she doesn't just dump him and chase after The Doctor instead.
    I had big problems with it last year, but they fit together a lot better this year I think. It's cute when they're together, and she's appreciating him a lot more than previously. That said, I have thought about it more and you are partially right, it isn't perfect - but I'm hoping it'll develop more this year.

He only ever stood up to him during Vampires in Venice. He was quite passive at the prospect of losing Amy during the Silurian two-parter. And he's been quite passive ever since.
    Well he did a bit in this episode - I can't remember the exact moment, I'll have to go back and watch it, but I'm already impressed that he's a lot less wet this year.

Yeah, we have the Saxon posters and slowly things build over time. But when your main mystery plot bleeds into the stories so we can't have any decent resolutions from week to week...
    Ah, I guess this is just a difference of opinion - I love the idea of a series long arc, whereas you don't, but I don't think either one of us is wrong or right. And for me the story works as a self-contained two parter, but one which has posed a lot of questions that really excite me.

Yeah, and apparently reversible. Or cop-out able.
    Ah, but come on, RTD was the king of that! The Master is dead and the Doctor's the Last of the Timelord - oh noes! Except he isn't, because the Master's back again, in crappy magical form! And there's all the other time lords, oh, except that they're now timelocked again...but for how long, I wonder? And the Daleks are going to destroy the universe...ah, hang on a minute, here's a convenient button I can press that will destroy them all!

Love and how complicated it can be with time loops and things that never properly happened. Yup, definitely universal.
    It's still love though. And the effect difficult and unusual scenarios have on it. I've seen a million bog standard love stories and am bored of them too, so like that there's one programme on tv which examines it in a different manner.

Look at The Doctor and Rose. What is their relationship built upon? Sacrifice. She sacrificed herself to save him in "Parting of the Ways" and he did so in return.

Even The Doctor and Wilf- yes, he was reluctant to save him, but The Doctor's relationships during the last era were built around sacrifice.
    True. Until RTD spoilt it all by bringing Rose back, and giving her a poundland copy of the Doctor to go off and shag senseless, thus ruining the poignancy of the season 2 finale completely. You're right about Wilf - but that was at the end of Tennant's run - who knows how far Doc 11 will go for Amy, River and Rory during the next 10 episodes?

That's what Love and Friendship meant the last 4 seasons. What does Love mean now?

::cricket, cricket::

Uhh... it means... uhm... it can be vague, because it still hasn't happened yet...

...uhm... one person is always stronger than the other and more knowlegdable than the other (i.e. The Doctor/River, Amy/Rory)... uhm...?

Yeah, I dunno what Moffat's definition of Love or Friendship is based upon.

I'm not prejudging it on two episodes, I'm prejudging it on 16 episodes where a whole lot of nothing has been explained or happened.
    Well that's moving the goalposts a bit, as I was only discussing the last two episodes, not last season - some of which I have problems with (Rory and Amy's relationship especially). But I'm enjoying seeing the relationship develop, along with River and The Doctor's, and am intrigued as to where it's going to take us. By the end of the season if these areas haven't been explored in a satisfying way then I'll complain - but I'm still more than happy to give The Moff a chance yet.

And being that Moffat hasn't changed his methods in the past 6 years, I can't really hope things can turn out well in the end can I?
    For the first five years he only wrote a few episodes though, all of which I thought were superb (bar perhaps Silence In The Library / The Forest of the Dead which I have some issues with) and whilst last year wasn't perfect, there were some brilliant moments, and I'm optimistic that this could be the best season yet.

I think you're romanticising the RTD era a little too much as well - some of it was superb, and it made me fall in love with Doctor Who all over again - but the overuse of reset buttons and some just plain bad writing (yes, the specials, I'm looking at you) spoilt it at times.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

But I'm enjoying seeing the relationship develop, along with River and The Doctor's, and am intrigued as to where it's going to take us.
    Agreed, I particularly liked how they developed River & The Doctor over these two episodes. Quite understatedly, they showed this Doctor slowly falling for her, I think.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Just a random thought, but if he'd still been alive they could have got Cyril Shaps to play the guy in charge of the children's home - he'd have been perfect for it.

Andrew, that thought Renfrew my mind as well...

Just had a nitpicky thought, and I can't remember if this function was only mentioned in the original series and not the new, but why would the TARDIS have an invisibility function fitted when it had a chameleon circuit? Which would function better, you wouldn't have people bumping into things they couldn't see and it would be easier to remember where you'd parked.

Okay, the chameleon circuit has been broken forever, apart from some erratic functioning for Colin Baker, but still...

An after-market addon?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Just a random thought, but if he'd still been alive they could have got Cyril Shaps to play the guy in charge of the children's home - he'd have been perfect for it.
    Steve will confirm that i said exactly that when he cropped on screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    The second problem, is what I see as the biggest plothole, but one I haven't really seen anyone else pick up on. Canton builds the 'dark star alloy' prison, and says that nothing can get through it at all, not even radio waves. Yet the resolution involves him sending the video footage of the Silent through it! Yes, the Doctor has built him some gadgetry with flashing lights, but it's careless writing when you're resolving the story with it.
    The door was open at that point, after the doctor had left following his examination of the injured Silent and prompt forgetting of it.

Day of the Moon was a weird one, setting up a lot, but was difficult to follow in terms of plot and consistency. The Doctor does indeed seem to be planning his beating the Silence long before he even hears about it, which makes something of a nonsense of his telling Rory why he doesn't just go and get Amy right then because he doesn't have a plan. In the pre-credits teaser the TARDIS lands at Cape Canaveral, but then a later scene in the TARDIS has the Doctor sending Canton and Amy off while he goes to NASA, so apparently they stepped out of the TARDIS to just have a look at the rocket they could have seen on the scanner. How does he get into the Command module? There is definitely nowhere on that gantry with enough space to park the TARDIS, and it would have been crawling with technicians anyway. In fact, if it was mere hours before the launch the backup commander would have been in the command module checking switch settings in preparation for the arrival of the prime crew. (The pedant in me also has to point out that the live TV shots before the launch and of the launch are actually film records that would not have been seen until they were developed later.)

I love the Silence as a concept. Aliens that edit themselves out of your memory the moment you look away is a great conceit, since it allows you to imply that they are here but we just don't know it. Of course it brings with it the problem of actually having the characters identify that they are even there in the first place, which still makes little narrative sense. It does allow the excellent premise of having them in one of the most watched pieces of live television ever in history without anyone knowing.

The thing that most strikes me about all this debate is the complaint about a lack of resolution to the story. The current run may have involved largely self-contained stories, but even then we had arc elements that didn't contribute to the plot of the episode but to the overall arc (the phone tapping in Mrs Jones's house in 42, for example, which has no resolution until The Sound of Drums five weeks later). But the bigger point, for me, is that this idea of a resolution in one or two episodes is new for Doctor Who. For 26 years we had stories that took four, six, even fourteen weeks to resolve. Why is the fact that Day of the Moon is clearly not the end of the story more of a problem now than the fact that part three of any given story from the classic series doesn't resolve the story or give the impression that you didn't need to see what happened in parts 1 and 2? In 1965/66 viewers had to wait three months to find out how the business of Kembel with the Daleks and Mavic Chen resolved itself, but I don't hear anyone complaining about the lack of resolution in any individual episode. What is anyone tuning in to part four supposed to make of it? This isn't part two of a two-part story, this is part 2 of a 13 part sequel to the previous season. Let's see where it all goes.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    If the spokesperson of the Angels was Angel Bob, does that mean the speaking Silent was Silent Bob...?

Why build the cube at all? Can't nothing get through the TARDIS as well?

Is someone actually going to venture that Dwarf Star material > The TARDIS ?

Dwarf Star Alloy was what The Privateer in Warriors' Gate was made out of.

The thing with the Angels though was that they were a menace in the far future, on a different planet. Whereas The Silence have an enormous presence on Earth and have been manipulating our history for their own devious means, which I find far more a threatening and disturbing an idea.

But how were they devious??? All we know is that they influenced the human race to go to the moon! If anything, I'd say they were quite an innocuous bunch. And CERTAINLY their actions did not warrant mass slaughter ala The Nestine, Daleks, Sontarans, etc. And for The Doctor to have allowed the human race to carry out his dirty work for him was just low and, frankly, NOT The Doctor at all.

Recall Last of the Timelords, what The Doctor tells The Master:

Doctor: As if I would ask her to kill.

Surely, you can see my gripe here?

Well the 'pretty' bit was just a joke, but I don't think she's passive - she spent three months tracking down the Silence for the Doctor, and also investigated the old children's home with Canton, going off on her own to find out more - and there are plenty of examples where she's used her iniative to help save the day.

But wouldn't you agree it's at The Doctor's expense? I forget whether it's you or Hanson who hates The Lodger, but one of the reasons I like it, apart from it being a fun and humorous romp, it's the first time I've actually see The Doctor do something! Think about it- apart from Eleventh Hour, Vampires in Venice, The Lodger- I feel like The Doctor mainly hangs back and watches things unfold while either Amy or River solve things.

And, I'm sorry, that little scene in The Beast Below was what did it for me- again, we have The Doctor acting out of character at the expense to give the companion to do something clever.

Whereas, in Time of Angels, the scene with the holographic angel, I don't mind, because it makes sense for Amy's character to be able to use her wits and fend for herself since The Doctor really can't get past the deadlock.

Nah, I'm really not confusing it with strong willed! You could describe Rose as that, but Donna was loud, annoying, arrogant and really irritating. I know opinions vary and this is a very personal one, but I can't stand her, and Tate almost ruined the season for me.
    ...at the beginning, yes. But as the series progressed? She did a complete 180 to what we saw in Runaway Bride.

Ah, I guess this is just a difference of opinion - I love the idea of a series long arc, whereas you don't, but I don't think either one of us is wrong or right. And for me the story works as a self-contained two parter, but one which has posed a lot of questions that really excite me.

I watched Deep Space Nine- I love series and multi-series long arcs. Even RTD had his arcs. I just don't like this one cos it has the air of making itself bigger than it is.

Also, Moffat's "inspirations" are quite glaring (A red-head with a crack swallowing up the universe? TNG: "Cause and Effect" much?), and I have a sense of what's going to happen.

Ah, but come on, RTD was the king of that! The Master is dead and the Doctor's the Last of the Timelord - oh noes! Except he isn't, because the Master's back again, in crappy magical form! And there's all the other time lords, oh, except that they're now timelocked again...but for how long, I wonder? And the Daleks are going to destroy the universe...ah, hang on a minute, here's a convenient button I can press that will destroy them all!

I didn't like End of Time pt 1, and The Master is a bad example because he always comes back. It'd be uncharacteristic of him not to.

And, ok- then what was The Big Bang then? I can safely say "Jesus Doctor" not only made more sense as a reset button, but was way more interesting because we had an actual enemy and threat the protagonists were fighting against.

What did we have last season? Where's that left us?

True. Until RTD spoilt it all by bringing Rose back, and giving her a poundland copy of the Doctor to go off and shag senseless, thus ruining the poignancy of the season 2 finale completely. You're right about Wilf - but that was at the end of Tennant's run - who knows how far Doc 11 will go for Amy, River and Rory during the next 10 episodes?
    I agree about Doomsday. I loved that ending for Rose and Ten. It was tragic and unresolved. I feel those stories stay with you longer.

True, but here's another thing I noticed- and I'd like other people to chime in on this point too- does anyone feel weird about the way 11 acts towards River?

Cos think about it- 10 saw her explode and did that mad dash to save her. So you'd think the next time he'd see River, he'd at least have a shred of that.

But no- 11's just either like, "Hi person!" or "Who the eff are you?"

I don't blame Smith for this, but definitely the director or Moffat has something to do with this inconsistency.

I think you're romanticising the RTD era a little too much as well - some of it was superb, and it made me fall in love with Doctor Who all over again - but the overuse of reset buttons and some just plain bad writing (yes, the specials, I'm looking at you) spoilt it at times.

I agree RTD's run wasn't perfect and was cheesy at times- but upon looking back at how he did things and his episodes, I have more confidence in him as a writer than Moffat:

“There’s no need for character development, or chat, it’s straight into: ‘There’s something wrong here, let’s look into this deep, dark hole.’”

- Moffat on the subject of writing

Can't nothing get through the TARDIS as well?
    Well, apart from Donna. And the Titanic.

Well, apart from Donna. And the Titanic.

But there was an explanation for Donna (the whole halcyon energy, or whatever it was called) I haven't seen Voyage in a while, but I think it was something about shields.

...um, but regarding The Silents... they never said anything about whether or not they could get into the TARDIS... and being that no one was really chasing them down they could've just conviened in there.

It was even cloaked.

The thing that most strikes me about all this debate is the complaint about a lack of resolution to the story. The current run may have involved largely self-contained stories, but even then we had arc elements that didn't contribute to the plot of the episode but to the overall arc (the phone tapping in Mrs Jones's house in 42, for example, which has no resolution until The Sound of Drums five weeks later). But the bigger point, for me, is that this idea of a resolution in one or two episodes is new for Doctor Who. For 26 years we had stories that took four, six, even fourteen weeks to resolve. Why is the fact that Day of the Moon is clearly not the end of the story more of a problem now than the fact that part three of any given story from the classic series doesn't resolve the story or give the impression that you didn't need to see what happened in parts 1 and 2? In 1965/66 viewers had to wait three months to find out how the business of Kembel with the Daleks and Mavic Chen resolved itself, but I don't hear anyone complaining about the lack of resolution in any individual episode. What is anyone tuning in to part four supposed to make of it? This isn't part two of a two-part story, this is part 2 of a 13 part sequel to the previous season. Let's see where it all goes.
    Since I was moaning about it on page 1 of this thread, I feel obliged to try and explain why it's irritated me now. Clearly there's a difference between a story being unresolved partway through (ie, halfway through an old-style four or six parter) and being unresolved at the end of the story.

For me, why I've had more of a problem with this two-parter than with any other stories which have had some kind of arc elements is this: the astronaut element seems to be such an integral part of this two part story, from its dramatic action early in part 1, though the fact that much of part 1 is driven by it, even down to the title of that part 1. Yet at the end of the story, the astronaut is one of those unresolved elements still left unattended. To my mind, that's very different to the scene with Mrs Jones at the end of 42, because that scene is unrelated to the tale of sunny goings-on on a ship in the far future. In other words, you could chop that scene out and 42 would still be a story in its own right. And so she's clearly part of a 'different' story that is unfolding in the background, quite separate to 42.

In contrast, you can't remove the astronaut from this first two-parter, because it's such an integral part - and consequently, because I don't know why or what that's about, I find it hard to judge the story, and frankly it niggles me.

I'm not disputing that's a very personal thing, and I repeat my comment above that I expect I'll enjoy rewatching this story a whole lot more once the series has finished and it all makes sense. But for now, it feels that there's just too much left up in the air - and I don't suspect any of it will be addressed now until (at least) episode seven, as Moffat's not writing again until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    The door was open at that point, after the doctor had left following his examination of the injured Silent and prompt forgetting of it.
    Ah yes, so it is, thanks!