Default Marvel: A History In Covers

For all those comic lovers out there, here's a thread dedicated to the history of Marvel Comics. For the purposes of this thread I'm ignoring the 1940s Golden Age era which introduced Captain America, the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch but I'm starting with November 1961, date of the publication of the first 'modern-era' Marvel title, Fantastic Four 1.

I'll hopefully be posting the covers of every Marvel issue published on a month by month basis from that point, and it should be interesting seeing how the comic publishing landscape changed through time from the perspective of one of the major publishing companies.

So to kick us off, here's the 12 comics published by Marvel in November 1961. It's noticable how FF issue 1 is the only superhero title among a variety of western, fantasy and romance titles.

November 1961 releases

Amazing Adventures v1 006
    Fantastic Four v1 001
    Gunsmoke Western v1 067
    Journey Into Mystery v1 074
    Kid Colt Outlaw v1 101
    Linda Carter, Student Nurse 002
    Love Romances v1 096
    Millie The Model Comics v1 105
    Strange Tales v1 090
    Tales Of Suspense v1 023
    Tales To Astonish v1 025
    Teen-Age Romance 084

Linda Carter... How famous in relation to comics would that name become!

So to kick us off, here's the 12 comics published by Marvel in November 1961. It's noticable how FF issue 1 is the only superhero title among a variety of western, fantasy and romance titles.
    Noticable, but not too surprising, since this was the end of the period when superhero titles were unfashionable. O tempora o mores.

So many of those, it's hard to believe a company like Marvel produced. It's strange how things progressed to the point that there output was almost solely superhero based comics.

As you'll soon see Paul, it's amazing just how much things have changed a year later. It wasn't an immediate change though, when we look at December 1961 nothing much seems to have changed. Only ten titles published this month, the standard fare for the time...the monster titles must have been the poorest selling as they will become the first to feel the knock-on effects of the Fantastic Four's success.

December 1961 titles

Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 007
    Journey Into Mystery v1 075
    Kathy v1 014
    Life With Millie 014
    Patsy and Hedy 079
    Patsy Walker 098
    Rawhide Kid 025
    Strange Tales 091
    Tales of Suspense 024
    Tales to Astonish 026

Of course, the Strange Tales title would eventually lead to the creation of Doctor Strange and also of Nick Fury, so in essence could be classified as part of the Super-Hero range. Although it wasn't envisaged as such initially.

Moving on to 1962 now. The 'Marvel Universe' begins to get bigger, almost immediately...

The Fantastic Four are back with their second issue, which introduced us to the alien Skrull race for the first time. The Skrulls, of course, went on to become one of Marvel's most popular recurring villains.

The same month, Tales To Astonish featured a short story about a scientist who managed to shrink himself to the size of an ant. At the time, 'The Man In The Anthill' was only intended as a one-off, but Stan Lee and Jack Kirby later revisited the character of Henry Pym and as Ant-Man, he became one of the original Avengers.

January 1962 titles

Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 008
    Fantastic Four v1 002
    Gunsmoke Western v1 068
    Journey In Mystery v1 076
    Kid Colt Outlaw v1 102
    Linda Carter Student Nurse v1 003
    Love Romances v1 097
    Millie the Model v1 106
    Strange Tales v1 092
    Tales of Suspense v1 025
    Tales to Astonish v1 027
    Teen-Age Romance v1 085

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Of course, the Strange Tales title would eventually lead to the creation of Doctor Strange and also of Nick Fury, so in essence could be classified as part of the Super-Hero range. Although it wasn't envisaged as such initially.
    And Tales To Astonish became the regular home to Sub-mariner.

We'll fast-track through the next few months now. The monthly releases followed the same routine for a few months. With Fantastic Four still on a bi-monthly release schedule at this point, there isn't really much to comment on at the moment. The only thing of note really is the first appearance of costumes in the third issue of the Fantastic Four (March issue), along with the Fantasticar.

I've included all covers of February-April 1962 releases in this post; May 1962 will see the first appearance of one of Marvel's big guns, along with the return of a golden age favourite.

February 1962
    Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 009
    Journey Into Mystery v1 077
    Kathy v1 015
    Life With Millie v1 015
    Patsy and Hedy v1 080
    Patsy Walker v1 099
    Rawhide Kid v1 026
    Strange Tales v1 093
    Tales of Suspense v1 026
    Tales to Astonish v1 028

March 1962
    Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 010
    Fantastic Four v1 003
    Gunsmoke Western v1 069
    Journey Into Mystery v1 078
    Kid Colt Outlaw v1 103
    Linda Carter Student Nurse v1 004
    Love Romances v1 098
    Millie the Model v1 107
    Strange Tales v1 094
    Tales of Suspense v1 027
    Tales to Astonish v1 029
    Teen-Age Romance v1 086

April 1962

Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 011
    Journey Into Mystery v1 079
    Kathy v1 016
    Life with Millie v1 016
    Patsy and Hedy v1 081
    Patsy Walker v1 100
    Rawhide Kid v1 027
    Strange Tales v1 095
    Tales of Suspense v1 028
    Tales to Astonish v1 03

Looking at that Jan 1962 cover of Amazing Fantasy, I wonder if that's where Mike Tucker and Robert Perry got the idea for the Krill first featured in their 7th Doctor novel, Storm Warning!

I bought Amazing Adult Fantasy, only to be very disappointed by the contents. Even with those tenticles.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

I bought Amazing Adult Fantasy, only to be very disappointed by the contents....
    I've got to admit it's not quite my idea of Amazing Adult Fantasy either!!! I can think of plenty more (ahem!) exciting things but it's a bit early in the morning for that so let's just change the subject...

May 1962 saw the first appearance of The Incredible Hulk. In this first issue he appeared coloured grey, but because of printing difficulties getting the colour right he was accidentally coloured green the next issue. The colour green was apparently easier to work with in those days so green he remained...
    Teenage Romance became the first casualty of the new superhero trend. It was cancelled to make way for the Hulk title, it's final edition being the March issue, 86.

Also this month saw the return of the 1940s Mavel hero, Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner in the fourth issue of The Fantastic Four. Seen to be suffering from amnesia, he soon became the villain of the piece though after regaining his memory and finding his home apparently destroyed by humans.

May 1962
    Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 012
    Fantastic Four v1 004
    Gunsmoke Western v1 070
    Incredible Hulk v1 001 c2cO
    Journey into Mystery v1 080
    Kid Colt Outlaw v1 104
    Linda Carter Student Nurse v1 005
    Love Romances v1 099
    Millie the Model v1 108
    Strange Tales v1 096
    Tales of Suspense v1 029
    Tales to Astonish v1 031
    Last edited by MacNimon; 11th May 2011 at 7:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I've got to admit it's not quite my idea of Amazing Adult Fantasy either!!!
    Well Let's be honest, the lead character in Linda Carter is in a nurse's uniform...

Moving swiftly along...

June 1962

This would be the final superhero-free month of releases...

Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 013
    Journey Into Mystery v1 081
    Kathy v1 017
    Life With Millie v1 017
    Patsy And Hedy v1 082
    Patsy Walker v1 101
    Rawhide Kid v1 028
    Strange Tales v1 097
    Tales Of Suspense v1 030
    Tales To Astonish v1 032

I do love the way that Patsy Walker, here a romance/comedy comic character in later life becomes the superhero Hellcat. Does the same happen to Millie the Model? Then again didn't the Rawhide Kid come back as a gay leather-wearing character too?
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Quote Originally Posted by Kinggoose View Post
    I do love the way that Patsy Walker, here a romance/comedy comic character in later life becomes the superhero Hellcat. Does the same happen to Millie the Model? Then again didn't the Rawhide Kid come back as a gay leather-wearing character too?
    I actually thought you were joking until I read this...
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18502...haracters.html

I think it was an awful idea to bring back an old, largely forgotten about character from a more innocent time and make the character gay, apparently just for the sake of it. It looks more like one of those spoofs which you used to find in Mad magazine rather than a serious series which it was meant to be. Why rework a character when it would have been better simply to create a new one and do it right?

Surely Marvel couldn't seriously have thought this would have rivalled DC's Jonah Hex?!

July 1962 saw the first appearance of Victor Von Doom in Fantastic Four issue 5, in which he built a time machine and trapped our heroes hundreds of years in the past, with the result of the Thing finding that he prefers life as a pirate on the high seas as a better option than returning to the present day. This rather simple tale has long been a favourite of mine, it was one of the earliest I ever read in the early 1970s MWOM reprints.
    The green Hulk also appears for the first time this month...

July 1962
    Amazing Adult Fantasy v1 014
    Fantastic Four v1 005
    Gunsmoke Western v1 071
    Incredible Hulk v1 002
    Journey into Mystery v1 082
    Kid Colt Outlaw v1 105
    Linda Carter Student Nurse v1 006
    Love Romances v1 100
    Millie the Model v1 109
    Strange Tales v1 098
    Tales of Suspense v1 031
    Tales to Astonish v1 033

Now I come to think of it, Gunsmoke Western sounds rather like a tie-in with (or rip off of!) a certain well-known TV programme...

A few people who later went on to become big names themselves (whether it be in the comics world or in the media/broadcasting world) found their names in print on the letters pages.

Several years before he got his first writing job for Marvel, Roy Thomas sneaked onto the letters page for FF issue 5...

The Matthew Waterhouse of the comic industry!

August 1962

This month saw the first appearance of current flavour of the month (courtesy of Kenneth Branagh & co), Marvel's God Of Thunder, Thor, in issue 83 of Journey Into Mystery, a title which had previously been a monster/suspense anthology title. While the character was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, the series was actually scripted by Lee's brother Larry Leiber, based on plots by Lee. So Thor became the first of Marvel's new breed of superhero featuring a creative influence other than the prolific Lee/Kirby team, a trend which was to grow over the coming months...

Journey into Mystery v1 083
    Kathy v1 018
    Life with Millie v1 018
    Patsy and Hedy v1 083
    Patsy Walker v1 102
    Rawhide Kid v1 029
    Strange Tales v1 099
    Tales of Suspense v1 032
    Tales to Astonish v1 034

A rather important issue of another title, which was on the verge of cancellation, was also released around this time. The cover is dated August, but inside it is dated Sept 1962...so because of the discrepancy in the dates (and the fact that in my image the cover is among the Sept releases!) I'll cover that one next time round....
    Last edited by MacNimon; 25th May 2011 at 7:27 AM.

September 1962

This month sees the first appearance of 'The Spiderman' (as he was originally referred to) in what became the final issue of the monster/suspense title Amazing Fantasy. Created by Stan Lee and the resident Amazing Fantasy artist Steve Ditko (unlike the other anthology titles of the era, this didn't feature the work of sesveral artists - Ditko was the sole artist on AF), a special message inside states that the format and the title have changed (apparently teenagers were embarrassed buying something with the word 'Adult' on the cover! - innocent times! ) and that depending on how popular the character of 'The Spiderman' was, there may be longer stories appearing soon - or there could even be a possibility of the title featuring two stories per issue in the future!!!

This month also saw the return of Henry Pym, 'The Man In The Anthill', this time appearing as a full-blown superhero, the Ant-Man, in Tales To Astonish issue 35. As with the Thor strip, this had plot by Stan Lee and art by Jack Kirby, scripting was by Larry Leiber. The 6th issue of the Fantastic Four saw the first super-villain team-up, with the Sub-Mariner and Dr Doom joining forces...

Amazing Fantasy v1 015
    Fantastic four v1 006
    Gunsmoke Western v1 072
    Incredible Hulk v1 003
    Journey Into Mystery v1 084
    Kid Colt Outlaw v1 106
    Linda Carter Student Nurse v1 007
    Love Romances v1 101
    Millie the Model v1 110
    Strange Tales v1 100
    Tales of Suspense v1 033
    Tales to Astonish v1 035

The cover of Amazing Fantasy used wasn't the original one planned, here's the unused original version...

Last edited by MacNimon; 25th May 2011 at 7:29 AM.

I rather like the unused cover.

[QUOTE=Kinggoose;259264]I do love the way that Patsy Walker, here a romance/comedy comic character in later life becomes the superhero Hellcat. Does the same happen to Millie the Model? QUOTE]

There is an issue of The Defenders, late 70s or very early 80s, in which Mille the Model appeared and had a little reunion with Patsy. I had no idea at the time who she was (nor that Patsy had her own title all those years ago!).

Fascinating stuff, Kenny, thanks for posting!

[QUOTE=Jonno Simmons;261463]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinggoose View Post
    I do love the way that Patsy Walker, here a romance/comedy comic character in later life becomes the superhero Hellcat. Does the same happen to Millie the Model? QUOTE]

There is an issue of The Defenders, late 70s or very early 80s, in which Mille the Model appeared and had a little reunion with Patsy. I had no idea at the time who she was (nor that Patsy had her own title all those years ago!).

Fascinating stuff, Kenny, thanks for posting!
    I had no idea that Patsy Walker had her own series all those years ago, aither. It was good however that they thought to bring back such characters...obviously a good in-joke for those in the know!

I haven't abandoned this thread, btw. I'll admit to having found myself a little bit distracted recently by a similar topic which I've been considering...I've been building up a pretty large collection of British Marvel covers from the 70s (and earlier) recently. While I'm familiar with majority of the stories included in the issues included in this thread, it was actually the 1970s UK reprints which really got me into comics. And seeing those old MWOM, Spider-Man Comics Weekly, Avengers, Dracula Lives etc covers from my childhood has given me a real nostalgia kick. And it's been great discovering some great pre-Marvel UK covers from the late 60s (Odhams Power Comics line)

I've still got some gaps to fill in but a pretty comprehensive look at the Marvel UK covers may be on the cards in the near future...