Thread: Hammer Horror!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Very appropriate choice of words for a Frankenstein film!

And she certainly was the prettiest of the monsters to date!

Next up "Frankenstein Must be Destroyed" sounds a promising title.

I haven't watched most of these films for years! A great thread, Ralph, it makes for some interesting reading. I think it's about time I reacquainted myself with some of these classics!

I don't think I've seen much of these since they stopped being shown regularly in seasons on BBC 2 late on Saturday nights. I remember they used to pair them with the old Universal horrors. I know some of these pop up occasionally in late night slots or on satellite channels, but it's about time a terrestrial channel gave us a season of them, just like they used to!

Anyway, I used to love the Frankenstein and Dracula films, although I can't remember too many details after all this time, so there's not much else for me to add to the thread at the moment. The Ollie Reed Werewolf film was a favourite as well, I also liked X-The Unknown and The Abominable Snowman, among others.

Not to forget the Amicus films from the late 60s/early 70s, which I thought were of a similar style to Hammer. I loved the one where Ian Ogilvy (I think!) bought a haunted door which he put on a cupboard, but when he opened it the cupboard was replaced by a sitting room of an old mansion house. That one was really creepy, I thought!

Frankenstein Must be Destroyed!!

Very good, back to the standard of the 50s films. I'd rate this second to Curse. Overall good cast with Peter supported by Simon Ward who I reckon gives a great performance and there's some nice eye candy too!

The Baron appears to be back to his totally ruthless character of the first two movies, as I said on my posts on the 3rd and 4th movies he seemed to have mellowed somewhat. He might have been likeable in those but definitely not here! And lock up your daughters too - this Baron aint no gent!

The sets seem to be of a good standard as well - overall it looks like there was more budget allocated to this one. The script and storyline ensure this a stronger entry plus the music was more on form with the 50s movies as well.

I read that Hammer had a revival in fortunes at the end of the 60s and certainly I think this 1969 movie appears to reflect that. It has a great pace and holds the attention throughout.

I think Peter Cushing's performance also seems to have risen to the occasion - Looking at the two previous to this I couldn't help but feel that he was a bit on auto pilot knowing they weren't the best and I don't blame him! However since the low spot of Evil things now seem to have made a steady return back to form.

So far I'd say Curse is still the strongest because of Chris Lee's convincing performance as the grotesquely deformed monster combined of course with Cushing on top form. While I was very entertained by "Destroyed" I didn't get that grim unsettling feeling of "curse" - actually I'm not complaining about that, for me it just proves how well "Curse" hits the mark to make a convincing horror pic.

I noticed The Baron's assistant from the last movie now turns up as a bumbling police chief in the style typical of these movies...always several steps behind the bad guys and Windsor Davies gives the only straight role I've ever seen him in.

So a strong entry and certainly one I'd recommend if you want to see a good solid Hammer movie!

Wayne Guest

Good to get your thoughts on this one, Ralph.
    I particularly agree with these observations:

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The Baron appears to be back to his totally ruthless character of the first two movies, as I said on my posts on the 3rd and 4th movies he seemed to have mellowed somewhat. He might have been likeable in those but definitely not here! And lock up your daughters too - this Baron aint no gent!

So far I'd say Curse is still the strongest because of Chris Lee's convincing performance as the grotesquely deformed monster combined of course with Cushing on top form. While I was very entertained by "Destroyed" I didn't get that grim unsettling feeling of "curse" - actually I'm not complaining about that, for me it just proves how well "Curse" hits the mark to make a convincing horror pic.
    I would say that this one, along with the original are my favourites of the Hammer Frankensteins. 'Curse' is definitely a classic, but i do tend to be fond of Hammer films around the mid to late 60's, & this one is one of the strongest of those. 'Curse' is great film, but i've perhaps seen it a few too many times, & being one of the earliest Hammer's, it does have a slightly old fashioned feel, even more so that Hammer's later movies. I still love it though, but this one is very close behind it.
    I'm curious how you'll view the next one. I think it's the worst since 'Evil', but it does have some plus points.
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Feb 2007 at 12:30 AM.

Good to hear "Horror" has some redeeming qualities!

Wayne Guest

Good to hear "Horror" has some redeeming qualities!
    oops, My mistake!
    I always think 'Horror' is the last one because Ralph Bates takes the lead role instead of Cushing, but the one i was thinking of as the worst since 'Evil' is actually the last one: 'Frankenstein & the Monster From Hell', (1973) even though Cushing returns to the role.
    I think Ralph Bates gets unfairly slated in his Frankenstein outing. Ok, he's younger than Cushing & doesn't quite have his gravitas, But i think he plays it very well. He was a great actor, & i think 'Horror' is a better film than 'Monster From Hell'. (Although i like them all)
    Anyway, we'll see what you think.
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Feb 2007 at 12:48 AM.

I agree with all Wayne's Frankenstein comments.
    I have to say I never really took to Frankenstein Created Woman but Must be Destroyed is very good.
    Horror is quite good too. Its not really part of the series as such, more a stand alone and it has its humourus moments too.
    I don't remember a lot about Monster From Hell other than having Dave Prowse as the monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I agree with all Wayne's Frankenstein comments.
    What you didn't like mine!

Why was it that Peter didn't do "Horror", was he not available for the part? I was hoping his final outing in the role would be a good one, I hope Monster isn't too evilesque I love the title at least!
    Last edited by Ralph; 9th Feb 2007 at 12:17 PM.

Wayne Guest

I was hoping his final outing in the role would be a good one, I hope Monster isn't too evilesque I love the title at least!
    It's still very entertaining, but remember you're talking to a fan!
    And it has the bonus of Madeline Smith being it, but unfortunately she doesn't get her splendid tits out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It's still very entertaining, but remember you're talking to a fan!
    And it has the bonus of Madeline Smith being it, but unfortunately she doesn't get her splendid tits out.

Well if it's as good as "Made Woman" then I'll be happy enough even if Madeline's all covered up. The Blonde in the last one certainly was pretty shapely - best eye candy factor to date

You didn't answer my quesy though!

Was it because of Peter's wife that he didn't do "Monster"?, as I understand he didn't do "blood from the Mummy's Tomb" for this reason. I was thinking maybe not in this case as it's a kind of remake of the first one, did the Studio decide they wanted someone younger?
    Last edited by Ralph; 9th Feb 2007 at 12:58 PM.

Wayne Guest

Well if it's as good as "Made Woman" then I'll be happy enough even if Madeline's all covered up. The Blonde in the last one certainly was pretty shapely - best eye candy factor to date

You didn't answer my quesy though!

Was it because of Peter's wife that he didn't do "Monster"?, as I understand he didn't do "blood from the Mummy's Tomb" for this reason. I was thinking maybe not in this case as it's a kind of remake of the first one, did the Studio decide they wanted someone younger?
    I don't know. I've looked in a couple Hammer books that i've got, but they make no reference as to why.
    But it's more like a re-make of 'Curse', rather than a continuing on from the last one kind of thing. I think you'll enjoy the Kate O'Mara bonus, though.

I think you'll enjoy the Kate O'Mara bonus, though.
    Nice one!

I'm not sure why Peter wasn't in Horror. I think it was seen as a reboot and not a continuation. I'm sure they were grooming Ralph Bates as their new "younger" star around that time. He's also in Lust for a Vampire and Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde around the same sort of time.
    And the blonde in Must Be Destroyed was Veronica Carlson, who I find lovely as well. She also turns up in Dracula has Risen from the Grave.
    And I like your comments as well Ralph, its just that Wayne summed up my feelings about the last few Frankenstein films really well.
    So are you going to do the Dracula films next, Ralph?

Wayne Guest

What a great idea!

I thought about that when I titled the thread... it would be a pleasure to continue so yeah I'd love too.

It's great also hearing what everyone has to say.

How many on here remember an age when they were too scary to watch! As Mac was saying my memory also was of the BBC2 Horror Double bill at weekends - even when I found them a bit scary I used to really look forward with anticipation to seeing them.

The Hammer Horrors I guess are as much a great British tradition as the Carry Ons and Bond - worth celebrating!

I don't think I've ever found films too scary to watch - then again, I watched The Omen at the cinema when I was about 9!

Wayne Guest

I thought about that when I titled the thread... it would be a pleasure to continue so yeah I'd love too.

It's great also hearing what everyone has to say.

How many on here remember an age when they were too scary to watch! As Mac was saying my memory also was of the BBC2 Horror Double bill at weekends - even when I found them a bit scary I used to really look forward with anticipation to seeing them.

The Hammer Horrors I guess are as much a great British tradition as the Carry Ons and Bond - worth celebrating!
    Hurrah! I might even watch these 'with' you, as it were. I have a particular fondness for the Vampire themed Hammer movies, especially the Dracula ones.
    In fact the first Hammer film the i can really recall was 'Dracula Prince of Darkness'. I think i was about 9 years old, & on a caravan holiday with a schoolfriend's family. We watched it on a little black & white portable tv, & yes it was quite scary at that age!
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Feb 2007 at 8:18 PM.

The Horror of Frankenstein

This one was certainly different again..I don't remember ever seeing this before.

Some thoughts then...

The bits of body actually looked the most unrealistic, the brain, hands and foot seemed a little obviously plasticky which surprised me with this being one of the later movies and only a year after Destroyed which seemed better in this regard ...you would think special effects would improve? Dave Prowse recognisable under the make up was certainly not grotesque... his head looked again like a lump of plastic. Again no one's beaten Chris' genuinely creepy portrayal so I think he's going to grab the award as the best Frankie Monster.

There seems to be a fair bit of dark humour in this one.The Monster is menacing but in a camp way, the graverobber and his wife, the ending of the movie...

Ralph Bates played the part very well..coming across well with an air of supremacy and a total disregard for human life. His performance certainly dominates the film and makes it really. The fresh approach I guess was good to make another Frankie movie a bit different.

For eye candy, the blonde from the last movie makes a return and of course Kate O'Mara adds her own unconventional pretty looks.

The pace of the movie is certainly slower at outset - it doesn't match "Destroyed" and I would say while entertaining in it's own style, this is the lesser of these two movies.

So overall I enjoyed it. A good entry again but a fall back form the previous year.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10th Feb 2007 at 10:05 AM.

Wayne Guest

Again no one's beaten Chris' genuinely creepy portrayal so I think he's going to grab the award as the best Frankie Monster.

Ralph Bates played the part very well..coming across well with an air of supremecy and a total disregard for human life. His performance certainly dominates the film and makes it really. The fresh approach I guess was good to make another Frankie movie a bit different.

The pace of the movie is certainly slower at outset - it doesn't match "Destroyed" and I would say while entertaining in it's own style, this is the lesser of these two movies.

So overall I enjoyed it. A good entry again but a fall back form the previous year.
    I agree with these points in particular. Especially re Ralph Bates' performance. Cushing is the ultimate Baron, but i think Ralph Bates gives a good, compelling performance.
    Just 'Monster From Hell' left then. I'm curious how you'll get on with this one.

I must say I was surprised I couldn't really remember seeing "Horror" - it certainly is one I would have expected to be very memorable. The part which made me think I had possibly seen it was the glass vials tipping into to the acid bath. I reckon certainly I wouldn't have seen it since the late 7O's.

In contrast I really remember Ralph Bates in Dr Jeckyl and Sister Hyde - and what a lovely woman he made too!

As a teenager I particularly loved all those descriptive titles and still do in fact. "The Monster from Hell" it just gets you excited in anticipation from the title alone. I'll be back later tonight to give my verdict.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10th Feb 2007 at 4:08 PM.

Wayne Guest

In contrast I really remember Ralph Bates in Dr Jeckyl and Sister Hyde - and what a lovely woman he made too!

As a teenager I particularly loved all those descriptive titles and still do in fact. "The Monster from Hell" it just gets you excited in anticipation from the title alone. I'll be back later tonight to give my verdict.
    I look foward to that. And then you have the first 'Dracula' movie to fill the gap before the postman arrives next week. I managed to catch today's collection, so you might be in luck on Monday.
    As for 'Dr Jeckyl and Sister Hyde', i'm sure a 'visit' could be arranged in due course.

I managed to catch today's collection, so you might be in luck on Monday.
    Well I feel lucky so it may well be - ta!

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell

It was good to see Peter back in the role, he looks a lot older in this one - the death of his wife a few years earlier must have taken quite a toll. He gives another convincing performance, although he has mellowed again since his murderous and ruthless outing in "Destroyed".

Peter's assistant in this one is a good choice and gives a strong supporting performance. Nice to see Pat Troughton as a grave digger in such a different role to that of The Doctor he played only a year earlier in the 10th anniversary - this is one performance that I didn't see though at that time. Also Bernard Lee takes on a role which has got to be the antithesis of his high brow profile in the Bond movies - definitely down on his luck as an Asylum patient here.

The make up on the monster again never reaches the peak of the original and it surprises me that a film made 17 years earlier should still look so much more impressive. The monster has a neanderthal body suit which again being less human means for a less horrific appearance. Mind you I'm not a great gore fan so I really don't mind.

Madeleine Smith looks gorgeous I can see why she's one of you favourites Wayne

So the film has a slower pace again like "Horror" but nevertheless I enjoyed it and felt satisfied that Peter had gone out with not an entertaining finale. It doesn't match the intensity of the very best but it is a compelling watch.

Rankings then:

Curse of Frankenstein 10/10
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed 9.5/10
    Revenge of Frankenstein 8/10
    Frankenstein and The Monster from Hell 7.5/10
    The Horror of Frankenstein 7.5/10
    Frankenstein created Woman 6.5/10
    The Evil of Frankenstein 5/10

Curse then it's the best of them - the intensity of the performances are spot on and the Monster is never bettered. "Destroyed" is a worthy runner up not far behind with a good story and performances that just glue you to the screen.

Evil while coming last is still an entertaining watch not particularly compelling I found, it was the only one of the seven that I found a bit dragging. While Horror comes 5th on the list I've ranked it to show I found the middle 3 all very good with little in it. Ralph Bates certainly gave a worthy performance and stepped into the Baron's shoes with considerable style. Both he and Peter did it sufficiently differently that I don't find comparisons really apply.

So thats me I'm all frankied up for now onto the Count next
    Last edited by Ralph; 11th Feb 2007 at 2:13 AM.

Wayne Guest

I pretty much agree with everything you've said, Ralph. It's a fun film, quite atmospheric, but for me it's at the lower end of my rankings, thus:

Curse of Frankenstein - 9.5/10
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - 9/10
    Revenge of Frankenstein - 8/10
    The Horror of Frankenstein - 7.5/10
    Frankenstein and The Monster from Hell - 7/10
    Frankenstein created Woman - 7/10
    The Evil of Frankenstein - 6.5/10

10 scores are reserved only for my very favourite Hammer films.
    I like the Frankie films, but the vampire genre is what i'm most fond of.
    But there are also several Hammer's that i really like that don't neccesarily fall into a particular category. For instance, 'The Devil Rides Out', which would score 10/10.

I shall join you in re-watching all the 'Dracula' movies, & probably any other vampire ones & other personal favourites.
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Feb 2007 at 2:29 AM.